Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672696 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2250 on: May 06, 2013, 03:59:43 am »

Perhaps... but the pony commemorative coin kickstarter will not be missed.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: May 06, 2013, 02:11:59 pm »

Perhaps... but the pony commemorative coin kickstarter will not be missed.

Yeah. For the most part. I'm sure there's probably some rage if you go to those parts of the internet where the forum's admins allow such things to be discussed (wink wink nudge nudge), but I'm going to assume it's still relatively minor.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: May 06, 2013, 03:49:18 pm »

As an aside, why do lawyers feel the need to write the names of characters in all caps?

I know certain publishing groups do this for book titles, although I always assumed that was because italics (the better standard) were harder or impossible to do in plaintext/email and on typewriters. I think it depends on the style guides you are taking your cues from. Wouldn't surprise me if a certain style happened to get popular in the IP legal world and just happened to stick.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: May 06, 2013, 05:04:17 pm »

I'm definitely not. Hasbro has shut down just about everything that poses even a minor fraction of a threat to copyright.

Aren't there like a thousand pony shirts on WeLoveFine and other stuff? How do those stay up?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: May 06, 2013, 05:10:45 pm »

I'm definitely not. Hasbro has shut down just about everything that poses even a minor fraction of a threat to copyright.

Aren't there like a thousand pony shirts on WeLoveFine and other stuff? How do those stay up?

Those are the official shit.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: May 06, 2013, 11:37:47 pm »

Why shouldn't Hasbro protect its IP?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: May 06, 2013, 11:43:26 pm »

Why shouldn't Hasbro protect its IP?

Well there is protecting your IP and then there is fighting for absolute control over it even when such things may fall under public domain.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: May 07, 2013, 01:42:05 am »

If you're going to talk about Hasbro being overreaching in their takedowns, please bring up an actual example. My Little Pony isn't old enough or non-merchandise-oriented enough to be public domain at all.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: May 07, 2013, 02:11:11 am »

He probably meant to say fair use or something like that.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: May 07, 2013, 06:40:12 am »

Selling merchandise doesn't usually go under fair use, particularly when it's an IP focused almost entirely around selling merchandise

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: May 07, 2013, 06:45:38 am »

The only way you can justify using an IP like MLP is if your product could exist without it. That is to say, your better off making something original.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: May 07, 2013, 07:33:53 am »

The only way you can justify using an IP like MLP is if your product could exist without it. That is to say, your better off making something original.
tl;dr
Pony fighting game, like street fighter/tekken. Would have been free.  Hasbro did takedown, it was super effective. 
Now, it is going all original.  The head developer(? dunno title) of MLP Season 1, Lauren Faust is doing the character design for them now.... or something like that. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: May 07, 2013, 08:13:50 am »

Not to get involved in this debate on one side or the other, but there's protecting your IP (like this case) and then there's protecting your IP by lobbying congress to extend the length of copyrightsFour times.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: May 07, 2013, 06:51:27 pm »

As an aside, why do lawyers feel the need to write the names of characters in all caps?

I know certain publishing groups do this for book titles, although I always assumed that was because italics (the better standard) were harder or impossible to do in plaintext/email and on typewriters. I think it depends on the style guides you are taking your cues from. Wouldn't surprise me if a certain style happened to get popular in the IP legal world and just happened to stick.
Its actually considered a industry standard as i know insurance agents put all of their work in as caps.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: May 09, 2013, 11:36:14 am »

Its actually considered a industry standard as i know insurance agents put all of their work in as caps.
No having to deal with lowercase shenanigans that trolls will pull, if it was possible.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 213