Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672676 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2265 on: May 10, 2013, 11:28:41 am »

A final update about the Homeworld 3 Indiegogo/Kickstarter/whatever...

Well, Team Pix got fully-funded this time around. But Team Pix were outbidded at the last minute by a tiny, little-known company called Gearbox. Team Pix is currently in the process of handing out refunds, as they promised to do so in both the Indiegogo and the Kickstarter. Or at least they say they are in the process of processing refundings...

Team Pix is also returning back to its original plans of creating their own IP. So they still plan on making an RTS, but now "Homeworld-inspired".

EDIT: And because I was curious...

Team Pix raised a total of over $70,000 through both its Indiegogo campaign and its Kickstarter campaign.

Gearbox made a bid of $1.35 million dollars.

EDIT2: It seemed that Paradox and Stardock also made bids too, both higher than what TeamPix has made.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:37:51 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: May 10, 2013, 12:39:10 pm »

This guy got 602$ for nothing.

Why are people funding this! are there just lots of rich people who don't care about money?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: May 10, 2013, 12:47:00 pm »

There's a certain class of internet user who has a lot more money than things to spend it on, yes.  I'm kindof amazed that project hasn't been taken down by Kickstarter, I guess it is kindof funny

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: May 10, 2013, 12:51:51 pm »

Yeah, I'd say here it's justified, but it brings to mind the more dubious takedowns that caused widespread butthurt.
I'm actually really interested to know exactly what takedowns they've made that weren't obviously damaging to their brand? They seem to allow the internet go about things generally unfettered in regards to the MLP stuff. The only counter-examples I've seen were... the Mane6 game, which they ignored for as long as they could but let's be honest, they had a perfectly justifiable reason to be opposed, and the sort of thing that happened with these coins which were no-brainers.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: May 10, 2013, 01:46:25 pm »

This guy got 602$ for nothing.

Why are people funding this! are there just lots of rich people who don't care about money?

There's a certain class of internet user who has a lot more money than things to spend it on, yes.  I'm kindof amazed that project hasn't been taken down by Kickstarter, I guess it is kindof funny

Well, maybe a lot of people just want a tweet saying they just backed Dat Ass Up on Kickstarter.
Even if Kickstarter takes it down, people still got their tweet saying they just backed Dat Ass Up on Kickstarter. So ironically, they'll get their backing rewards for free.

EDIT: Oh wait, actually you're buying a crappy t-shirt :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:48:17 pm by Sergius »

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: May 10, 2013, 02:00:29 pm »

Oh wait, actually you're buying a crappy t-shirt :)
no only 24 of his 130 backers actually paid 20 bucks for that shirt. if everyone had bought the shirt he would have 2600$

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: May 10, 2013, 02:16:56 pm »

Can't you say "I backed dat ass up on kickstarter" on twitter without paying $20?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: May 10, 2013, 02:21:08 pm »

no only 24 of his 130 backers actually paid 20 bucks for that shirt. if everyone had bought the shirt he would have 2600$

Ah well, I guess the t-shirt was optional.

Can't you say "I backed dat ass up on kickstarter" on twitter without paying $20?

Sure. Pay $1.

And it's not you saying that in twitter, it's Kickstarter auto-tweeting... with your user, or something. Er, well, in the end I guess it's the same as you doing it.

But... the lulz, I guess.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: May 10, 2013, 02:33:09 pm »

Ah well, I guess the t-shirt was optional.

Sure. Pay $1.

And it's not you saying that in twitter, it's Kickstarter auto-tweeting... with your user, or something. Er, well, in the end I guess it's the same as you doing it.

But... the lulz, I guess.

What I don't get is why those people didn't immediately cancel their pledge.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: May 10, 2013, 02:40:07 pm »

Project creator just cancelled the project 1 minute ago. So no money will be transferred.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: May 10, 2013, 02:43:50 pm »

Project creator just cancelled the project 1 minute ago. So no money will be transferred.
now all those people wont be getting shirts!
what a douche. holds a stupid kickstarter people actually want the shirts and he cancels.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: May 10, 2013, 04:00:37 pm »

He completed the actual stated project, though.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: May 10, 2013, 05:16:15 pm »

So it went right, then :D

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: May 10, 2013, 06:57:03 pm »

Why shouldn't Hasbro protect its IP?

Well there is protecting your IP and then there is fighting for absolute control over it even when such things may fall under public domain.
Were they original ponies that happen to be drawn in the style of any of the My Little Pony shows? Was it using any of the Pony in the any of the tv shows? Was it using any trade mark items? Such as but not limited to, the name of the franchise, the name of the characters from the show?

If the dude was making original pony shirts that happen to be in the same style as the show without any trademark items, then Hasbro had weak grounds for its C&D. I can see an argument being made, that (depending on quality of said product) that it could be confused for being official merchandise, and it opens up Hasbro to potential law suits, that if it happens to include pony that happen to share design elements from those t-shirts.

But the only way to resolve if Hasbro C&D had merit, is to take it to court.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: May 10, 2013, 07:05:26 pm »

For the record, no, it was selling physical merchandise including the actual names and symbols from the show/toys.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 213