Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672922 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1935 on: December 12, 2012, 07:49:09 pm »

At the time, the Occupy movement was in full swing. They managed to pitch a game which was completely offensive no matter what your views on anything were. Like, not even the funny or ironic kind of offensive, but just plain offensive. It involved both the portrayal of the protesters as a strongly violent, angry mob (complete with molotov cocktails and grenades) and simultaneously portraying police as engaging in an overzealous, violent crackdown at the whims of the rich. There was even the suggestion of getting police from different cities to sign on to have their logos used in the game. Because obviously they want to be known as violent corporate thugs. :P

It could have been humorous if it was intended as humor... but it wasn't. There was a great collective facepalm in that class on that day.

And this game is worse.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: December 12, 2012, 09:31:14 pm »

So, like LCS, minus the humor? :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: December 13, 2012, 11:45:08 am »

I still can't quite believe the great fuckfest that "Y0GV3NTHURRZ" is. Even if it's been 5 pages and a week.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: December 13, 2012, 01:49:16 pm »

At the time, the Occupy movement was in full swing. They managed to pitch a game which was completely offensive no matter what your views on anything were. Like, not even the funny or ironic kind of offensive, but just plain offensive. It involved both the portrayal of the protesters as a strongly violent, angry mob (complete with molotov cocktails and grenades) and simultaneously portraying police as engaging in an overzealous, violent crackdown at the whims of the rich. There was even the suggestion of getting police from different cities to sign on to have their logos used in the game. Because obviously they want to be known as violent corporate thugs. :P

It could have been humorous if it was intended as humor... but it wasn't. There was a great collective facepalm in that class on that day.

Sounds like Postal 2.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: December 13, 2012, 03:16:52 pm »

What's the program with the original system again. Can't see any. Either the system fails(and nobody gets money), or it succeeds and everybody is happy. Or unhappy if the project fails.

Because, you know, guys the point of a kickstarter is that you give someone money to make an idea reality. In exchange you get a reward. As long as he gets his money and you your reward everything is fine, right?
Most of the time, giving out the reward requires the project to succeed. For example, suppose I donate $10 in return for a copy of a game. The game doesn't get made. So I can't receive a copy of it.

The Kickstarter TOS does state that if the project fails, then it is the developer's responsibility to give out refunds. If the developer does do that, then there is no problem. But has that really happened yet, considering how the developer probably has no money left over (if they had the money, they probably wouldn't need the kickstarter in the first place, would they)?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: December 15, 2012, 10:55:39 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376466869/lore-0

Please please tell me this is actually really intelligent satire.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: December 15, 2012, 11:08:13 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376466869/lore-0

Please please tell me this is actually really intelligent satire.

"There will be online multiplayer much like dark souls and Dayz who can hurt are help u its a shame to beat a hard boss only to get kill my you friend for that rare drop you got."

Ow, my brain D:

From the comments:

"I had 5 hour to put that video together my grammar may but be the best but i didn't know that was a factor in making a game."
"yes grammar is surely a sign of intellect and a sign of a person's education i'm very happy you seem to believe that"
"P.S you don't know my skill and knowledge the thing is believe it are not i learned more then yesterday and i have been working with programs to make video games for years i just never made a game to release but good night to you sir"

This guy is the new Bunky.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:14:49 am by Draco18s »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: December 15, 2012, 11:12:52 am »

IN GREEK IT'S CRON-OS YOU DIPSHIT RAHRAHRAHARHARHARAHRH.

* Miauw Regains control.
I really, REALLY hope that that is fake.

E:
We understand this is something that has never been done but in 1492 Christopher Columbus went out into the sea and everybody told him he was going to fall off the end of the world but with his risk and passion we now know the earth is round and without his will and guts we would not be where we are today. The point i am trying to make nothing is risk free 16 years ago there was no internet but one man changed that. HEDY LAMARR was a actresses in the 1930's she came up with guided torpedoes for world war 2 she called and called the US army, government but no one listened because she was beauty and she was a actresses. My point is no one can understand vision if it was the 1930's are 1492 would kickstarter be a place to support like Hedy Lamarr and Christopher Columbus.
The most hilarifying 3 sentences ever.
Yes, that's 3 sentences.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:15:36 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: December 15, 2012, 11:30:16 am »

I've always wondered how people with such a terrible grasp of the English language manage to code in the first place.  Grammar (syntax) and spelling seemed quite critical the last time I checked.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: December 15, 2012, 11:34:20 am »

I've always wondered how people with such a terrible grasp of the English language manage to code in the first place.

Do they?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: December 15, 2012, 11:34:35 am »

I've always wondered how people with such a terrible grasp of the English language manage to code in the first place.  Grammar (syntax) and spelling seemed quite critical the last time I checked.

It comes from simply not caring.

I actually have difficulty with spelling and grammar. My current ability with such goes to show how much care I actually put into what I write.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: December 15, 2012, 11:42:34 am »

It comes from simply not caring.

I actually have difficulty with spelling and grammar. My current ability with such goes to show how much care I actually put into what I write.

I'm confused.  My point was that these things are essential in order to write a piece of software that actually works.  If someone is incapable of using basic punctuation while specifically trying to impress others (as an example, when asking for $150,000 from strangers) then I have very little faith in their ability to write functional code.

This is a bit different from you or I being a little lax while posting on a forum.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: December 15, 2012, 11:44:14 am »

It is mostly that they don't know how important their writing is when speaking to others.

As well the rules for programming are layed out for you and are rather strict. You arn't going to see surprise rules from outerspace.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: December 15, 2012, 11:44:40 am »

IN GREEK IT'S CRON-OS YOU DIPSHIT RAHRAHRAHARHARHARAHRH.

* Miauw Regains control.
I really, REALLY hope that that is fake.

E:
We understand this is something that has never been done but in 1492 Christopher Columbus went out into the sea and everybody told him he was going to fall off the end of the world but with his risk and passion we now know the earth is round and without his will and guts we would not be where we are today. The point i am trying to make nothing is risk free 16 years ago there was no internet but one man changed that. HEDY LAMARR was a actresses in the 1930's she came up with guided torpedoes for world war 2 she called and called the US army, government but no one listened because she was beauty and she was a actresses. My point is no one can understand vision if it was the 1930's are 1492 would kickstarter be a place to support like Hedy Lamarr and Christopher Columbus.
The most hilarifying 3 sentences ever.
Yes, that's 3 sentences.
My mind is so violently blown. It hurts. Stop the slaughter !

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: December 15, 2012, 11:45:46 am »

Neo's saying that such people ARE capable of basic punctuation/grammar/etc, but they don't care enough to apply themselves to use it outside of programming.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 213