Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673416 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1560 on: July 29, 2012, 04:32:32 pm »

Second, while good taste certainly ends at a fine line, there's a massive gap between "attractive female" and "bizarre fetish creature with tits larger than her head"...
I agree. But most human males nowadays seem to find that bizarre fetish creature more attractive (Why? I have no idea...). Why should people like Sarkeesian consider it their duty to police what others find attractive? I personally agree with Sarkeesian: such "bizarre fetish creatures" are demeaning, and not even attractive. But it's none of her business to bitch until this is accepted by the entirety of heterosexual masculinity.
I find calling anything "a bizarre fetish creature" more demeaning than simply a female with large breasts. Men (in general) like large breasts, I don't see how that's disgusting or demeaning.

I don't intend to label all women with large breasts as "bizarre fetish creatures". That label is reserved strictly for fictional females with unrealistically, IMO disturbingly, large breasts.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: July 29, 2012, 04:37:16 pm »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: July 29, 2012, 04:39:07 pm »

Second, while good taste certainly ends at a fine line, there's a massive gap between "attractive female" and "bizarre fetish creature with tits larger than her head"...
I agree. But most human males nowadays seem to find that bizarre fetish creature more attractive (Why? I have no idea...). Why should people like Sarkeesian consider it their duty to police what others find attractive? I personally agree with Sarkeesian: such "bizarre fetish creatures" are demeaning, and not even attractive. But it's none of her business to bitch until this is accepted by the entirety of heterosexual masculinity.
I find calling anything "a bizarre fetish creature" more demeaning than simply a female with large breasts. Men (in general) like large breasts, I don't see how that's disgusting or demeaning.

I don't intend to label all women with large breasts as "bizarre fetish creatures". That label is reserved strictly for fictional females with unrealistically, IMO disturbingly, large breasts.
And what in your opinion is "unrealistically large". I certainly haven't seen any fictional females "outside of obvious parody" that have HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK level cleavage. What you call disgusting, other people might find attractive. What other people find attractive may be disgusting to you or others. I honestly wouldn't call any portrayal of the human body disgusting unless it involved fecal matter in some way.

"a bizarre fetish creature"

I'm afraid I don't speak reaction image. Would you be so kind as to explain what you find so entertaining about my post?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: July 29, 2012, 04:43:31 pm »

Are you completely unaware of the consequences of gross and unrealistic beauty ideals? Because yeah, while your personal attraction isn't that bad, things like this on the societal scale are anything but harmless.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: July 29, 2012, 04:44:27 pm »

I'm afraid I don't speak reaction image. Would you be so kind as to explain what you find so entertaining about my post?

This whole exchange is entertaining.

I was particularly amused by that particular phrase (you might not have said it first, that your post is where I saw it first, as I've been largely skimming).

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: July 29, 2012, 04:44:50 pm »

I certainly haven't seen any fictional females "outside of obvious parody" that have HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK level cleavage.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: July 29, 2012, 04:47:24 pm »

I certainly haven't seen any fictional females "outside of obvious parody" that have HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK level cleavage.

What? it might be cold in that dungeon.  ;)
Yeah, I think we should probably get back on topic now, or just make a feminism thread if this pops up a third time.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: July 29, 2012, 04:49:47 pm »

So limitation of polygon rendering makes it sexist?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: July 29, 2012, 04:53:43 pm »

Fun Fact:
Lara's cup size is the result of a modelling error. Somebody just happened to say: "Keep it."

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: July 29, 2012, 04:54:37 pm »

So limitation of polygon rendering makes it sexist?

No, but this pretty much does.

The lady looked impressive all over, far more realistic than other games even attempted. Complete realism wasn't possible, of course, and Gard intended Lara to have somewhat exaggerated dimensions from the start. While making test adjustments to her girlish figure, a slip of his mouse turned an intended 50% increase to her breast size into a 150% gain. It met with instant approval from the team before he could correct it.

Just to clarify though, this is an issue I don't give two shits about.  It's vaguely irritating, so I give one shit, maybe one and a quarter.  It just annoys me when people rally against someone trying to stand against perceived injustice.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: July 29, 2012, 04:58:12 pm »

But I though the arbitrary mark was 'breast larger then her head', which those aren't. Just because a whoops help finalized her design shouldnt make it sexist.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: July 29, 2012, 06:43:26 pm »

..."Breasts larger than head" is not the mark of sexism, it's what marks sexism of extremely fucking ridiculous levels.

The lady looked impressive all over, far more realistic than other games even attempted. Complete realism wasn't possible, of course, and Gard intended Lara to have somewhat exaggerated dimensions from the start. While making test adjustments to her girlish figure, a slip of his mouse turned an intended 50% increase to her breast size into a 150% gain. It met with instant approval from the team before he could correct it.

Yeah right, "slip of the hand". More like "look guys boobz lol".
Love, scriver~

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: July 29, 2012, 07:16:55 pm »

Quote from: Dictionary.com
Cleavage - noun  The area between a woman's breasts, especially when revealed by a low-cut neckline.

I see no cleavage in the linked picture.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: July 29, 2012, 08:19:16 pm »

...Denying that there are any problems with the portrayal of women in videogames is unlikely to win you many allies outside of Reddit.
Why does everyone bringing up Reddit? What is with this huge perceived hive of scum and misogyny on Reddit?
There's how much they whined when they were forced to shut down /r/jailbait, the entirety of /r/MRA, that creepy thread where they bragged about committing rape, and the overall fact that they're 4chan without any of the originality, humor, or self-awareness.

Whoa, where did anyone get that Other M was made by Japanese misogynist? Its a pretty terrible game, but the down grade on Samsus as a character isn't due to misogyny, but due to the production studios being completely fucking wrong for the game.
The story was written and directed almost entirely by Yoshio Sakamoto.  Given how proud Sakamoto is of the plot, it's pretty clear that he's incompetent (given the egregious plot holes) and sexist to the point where one can assume he has never had contact with a woman.  Team Ninja can really only be blamed for the mediocre gameplay, and even that can be somewhat excused due to the fact that if Sakamoto hadn't been so draconian about linear unskippable cutscenes they might have been able to add some actual metroidvania elements to the game.

Quote from: Dictionary.com
Cleavage - noun  The area between a woman's breasts, especially when revealed by a low-cut neckline.

I see no cleavage in the linked picture.
There's no need to be pedantic; we all know what he's referring to.  It's also funny how tame 1996 Laura seems compared to some of the other examples brought up.  I think it'd even be arguable that that character is not portrayed in a deeply misogynistic way (the creepy eroticised sadism of the 2012 E3 trailer is another story though).

"a bizarre fetish creature"

Most likely the fact that we've moved from mocking terrible kickstarters to trying to hash out what constitutes a "bizarre fetish creature".  As much as I agree with him, I must admit we've got the wolf by the ear in with this debate.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: July 29, 2012, 09:33:15 pm »

I think we need a sexism thread or something now.
It might be best if we just dropped the subject.  As much as I respect the maturity of the Bay 12 forums, a group of neckbeards discussing feminism has too much potential to become a trainwreck, and I'd rather not tarnish the forum's reputation or burden Toady with having to moderate such a mess.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 213