Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673490 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1485 on: July 27, 2012, 08:59:23 pm »

And I dont see why or how she played the victim card.

Most feminists are perfectly sane individuals, who I agree with completely. It's the insane, "oppression and sexualization", branch, that Sarkeesian seems to be pandering to, which I hate, in no small part due to the fact that 99% of their arguments as a whole come from playing the victim card. Saying that because women are mistreated around the world, they deserve special voices and protections. But I don't want to derail this into a discussion on feminism as a whole, so I'll just tell you how I think Sarkeesian is playing the card.

It cannot be a coincidence that Sarkeesian only found massive, widespread success on Kickstarter after all the violent, misogynous, and anti-Semitic rants written against her. The "Streisand effect" here is the natural response of people to attempts to disrupt her project, and, while I despise this dark side of human psychology, it is not Sarkeesian's fault. But it seems to me like she and her supporters constantly, if not very actively, spread the word about all the negative comments, hoping to force-Streisand it, or, in my opinion, "play the victim card".
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: July 27, 2012, 09:06:34 pm »

Most feminists are perfectly sane individuals

How to know if you're a feminist, take this quiz:

1) Are you a woman?

2) Do you care about woman's rights?

If you answered "yes" to both of these questions, you're a feminist.

;)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: July 27, 2012, 09:08:27 pm »

Calling it the "Streisand effect" is entirely unfair. If you don't want anyone to know about something, the worse thing you can do is raise a huge stink about it. This has happen countless times with media. A classic example I can think of right off the top of my head, is with 'Married with Children', which had poor rating and was about to be cancelled, until there was a huge effort to censor it and get it taken off the air. The attempt to shut it down, made it popular enough to garner it a stable viewership.

For your suppose point to be true would be if they would had to have actively adverted the project in communities where it would have received strong negative response or that the supporters were adverting it more so with sobs tails then the hate wagon was doing on its own.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: July 27, 2012, 09:12:46 pm »

Reasonable people couldn't have expected the massive backlash of hate... nor the overwhelming support that came out of the woodworks with a 'screw your hate' donation.
Tin foil conspiracy is what it sounds like to me...

(Oh, Married with Children....  one of the best shows ever of my childhood...)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: July 27, 2012, 09:13:30 pm »

Most feminists are perfectly sane individuals

How to know if you're a feminist, take this quiz:

1) Are you a woman?

2) Do you care about woman's rights?

If you answered "yes" to both of these questions, you're a feminist.

;)

a). I love this irony, that we need total gender inequality, but only women can be feminists. >_>
b). But otherwise, that's exactly right. 99% of people who support women's rights are perfectly sane (even if not all identify as feminists). But then you have the other side, the 1%, where all society becomes a disgusting, patriarchal, phallic-symbol-filled wasteland, where all women are innocent victims and all men might as well be rapists.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: July 27, 2012, 09:21:39 pm »

^ So... in the case of the backlash... how would you percent the portion of men who are misogynistsagainst women speaking out about the current culture they are in? 

Looking at the definition of misogyny, probably not accurate for most men relating to the backlash... 

"misogyny is a cultural attitude of hatred for females because they are female." 
So it seems to just mean hating females for just being female...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: July 27, 2012, 09:24:28 pm »

a). I love this irony, that we need total gender inequality, but only women can be feminists. >_>
b). But otherwise, that's exactly right. 99% of people who support women's rights are perfectly sane (even if not all identify as feminists). But then you have the other side, the 1%, where all society becomes a disgusting, patriarchal, phallic-symbol-filled wasteland, where all women are innocent victims and all men might as well be rapists.

I don't remember where I heard that little ... quote, so I was simply repeating it (I went looking for a source, couldn't find one).

But yes, men can be feminists too, I suppose.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: July 27, 2012, 09:27:46 pm »

Emphasis mine. Isnt this the point of the crowd sourcing model for founding? That you dont need to have proir experience or even proof of concept, just toss your idea out there and present it well, and see if you can get funded?
yeah, and you get $6000 maybe $20000... $160000 just seems awfully wasteful for this kind of project, and even a bit unfair for all those who have been doing this type of thing for years with a fraction of the success

i disagree with this. most people of any subset or subculture are unreasonable. percentages may vary, but i doubt that in any group reasonableness is prevalent
although i recognise and share many feminist views(being a militant of a leftist party whose core ideals revolve around feminism and lgbt rights), from personal experience i think i can assert safely that the amount of sexist feminists that claim all men are bastards and should be second class citizens to women is much higher than 1 percent of the movement. if i had to risk a guess i'd say 10 to 15 percent

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: July 27, 2012, 09:28:40 pm »

Looking at the definition of misogyny, probably not accurate for most men relating to the backlash... 

"misogyny is a cultural attitude of hatred for females because they are female." 
So it seems to just mean hating females for just being female...

To be honest, that was kind of what it was. Not quite that narrowly defined, but similar.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: July 27, 2012, 09:30:50 pm »

[Pixel Tribe] returning soon..ish!!

Is that a recent update to your sig?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: July 27, 2012, 09:34:38 pm »

i disagree with this. most people of any subset or subculture are unreasonable. percentages may vary, but i doubt that in any group reasonableness is prevalent
although i recognise and share many feminist views(being a militant of a leftist party whose core ideals revolve around feminism and lgbt rights), from personal experience i think i can assert safely that the amount of sexist feminists that claim all men are bastards and should be second class citizens to women is much higher than 1 percent of the movement. if i had to risk a guess i'd say 10 to 15 percent

Wow. I actually specifically said "1%" as a low guess, because I was afraid that even that would seem too large, and that people would falsely accuse me of being a right-wing anti-feminist type. But if a leftist feminist (who, no offense intended, will probably be subconsciously biased, and thus slightly apologetic) would guess 10-15% , then I'm scared of what the real number must be.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: July 27, 2012, 09:39:16 pm »

Emphasis mine. Isnt this the point of the crowd sourcing model for founding? That you dont need to have proir experience or even proof of concept, just toss your idea out there and present it well, and see if you can get funded?
yeah, and you get $6000 maybe $20000... $160000 just seems awfully wasteful for this kind of project, and even a bit unfair for all those who have been doing this type of thing for years with a fraction of the success
Fairness is unquantifiable. Crowd Souring doesnt have any mechanics to find the best person to execute the project. So even if there were 4 folks trying to do the same project, it'd be almost happenstance who actually got the funding. What those 4 folks could do to bolster their donators are, technically avaliable to all of them.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: July 27, 2012, 09:48:41 pm »

not that recent, no... but i'm too attached to it to let it go
it might return as a python game before it returns as a forum game, but i'm still in the process of learning python as of yet

it's not a kickstarter gone wrong yet though

Wow. I actually specifically said "1%" as a low guess, because I was afraid that even that would seem too large, and that people would falsely accuse me of being a right-wing anti-feminist type. But if a leftist feminist (who, no offense intended, will probably be subconsciously biased, and thus slightly apologetic) would guess 10-15% , then I'm scared of what the real number must be.
i don't think i'm being that apologetic. there's a fair bit of socially acceptable misandry among those circles, and by socially acceptable i mean you can't really call it out without causing a bit of a shitstorm, and those 85-90% won't rush in your defence either, and although it hasn't managed to turn me away from *the cause*, it has left me a bit bitter
but things are not *that* bad. what i'm trying to say is, there is merit in the movement and the causes are worth furthering, but people are shit everywhere
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:50:33 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: July 27, 2012, 09:51:14 pm »

not that recent, no... but i'm too attached to it to let it go
it might return as a python game before it returns as a forum game, but i'm still in the process of learning python as of yet

it's not a kickstarter gone wrong yet though

Isn't, but I just happened to see it here, and I eagerly await its return.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: July 27, 2012, 09:57:05 pm »

thanks, that filled me with joy, and leaves me eager to return to it
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 213