Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: Hero Caddies RtD! [Book I, Chapter I]  (Read 60784 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Hero Caddies RtD! [Prologue]
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2012, 05:58:43 pm »

"So, strange question but... why do you do the hero thing? Is it just the money, or the money and the fame, or do you just need something to do, or...?"

YES! I GOT Scelly9, Derm, IronyOwl and adwarf. Score!

That's about 39.5% of everyone! Minus the partial body parts.
Hehe, yeah. When you first called me on being Green I was very, very curious about your reasons. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 22, 2012, 05:59:56 pm »

Same.

Red hadn't done anything really 'Derm'ish yet, and yellow and grey kinda stole the thunder.

At the end I did try to tame the dongrel with the corpse of a guy I probably knew, though.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2012, 02:00:26 pm »

Book I: The Bane of Gortharius
Chapter I: The Chalice of Hope

"Me? I work for the almighty Wilros. The fame, travel, and riches help too. But mostly, we do what we do because we know our place. As should you."
Azatek seems pleased with himself. "Pleasure to meet you, I'm Azatek Litz, and thinks for the opportunity to prove my innocence of some matters."
"And you will get your chance to prove yourself soon enough." Odysseus turns back to the road as the newly minted caddies sign the long contract.

"Welcome to the Hero's Guild, squires. You are now in the service of this adventuring party. Your masters will give you your first instruction momentarily." Vladimir clears his throat. "That is to say, we'll give you your first orders in a moment. We're almost to the next town."

The waning sun sinks behind the mountains on the horizon as the wagon makes its way along the trail, eventually passing onto cobblestone as it enters the town of Avindell. Smoke billows from chimneys on either side as the wagon rolls down the wide main street, and lanterns are lit on the storefronts as darkness begins to settle over the town. Avindell is a far larger town than Zabrek could ever hope to be, even without considering its recent loss of a tavern and barn. At last the wagon slows to a halt outside a rather large inn, and the adventurers get off the cart and hitch the horses.

"Alright squires, it's time for your customary first test." Odysseus throws two small sacks of money to (...) (...) Bryan and Caddio, then passes out two small slips of parchment.
"You have some shopping to do. Bryan, you'll need to get a few things at the food shop. Caddio, you need to get some supplies at the general store. We could eat at the inn tonight, but instead you lot will be cooking our meal using the ingredients and instructions I have supplied you with. Your first task is to get everything on the lists. Split up as you will. Dismissed!"
Derek jumps out of the wagon and calls out to Odysseus. "So, about the Dongrel..."
"You can keep it now, just make sure it doesn't get into trouble."

((The "adventure" starts here! Just a note: the Dongrel is now part of the party, but isn't under the control of any of the players. It will be controlled by suggestions from the audience! Since it's docile now, you can't command it to kill anything. The current players can't submit actions for it, but everyone else is free to. In the absence of consensus on an action, I'll pick whichever one I feel like at the time.))

Status

Player: lawastooshort
Name: Bryan
Adventurer: Davkul Stalkingwolf
Inventory: Peasant Robe | Bag of Shekels | Grocery List
[HP:10/10]

Player: dermonster
Name: Derek Letum
Adventurer: Ravaatra Hellbinder
Inventory: Peasant Robe

Player: Taricus
Name: Raul
Adventurer: Vladimir Silverblade

Player: IronyOwl
Name: Caddio Nine
Adventurer: Odysseus Hawklight
Inventory: Peasant Robe | Bag of Shekels | Shopping List

Player: adwarf
Name: Azatek Litz
Adventurer: Coratra Gladomain

Spoiler: Mr. Wiffles (Dongrel) (click to show/hide)

Hero Caddies      Book I: The Bane of Gortharius      Chapter I: The Chalice of Hope
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hero Caddies RtD! [Book I, Chapter I]
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2012, 02:06:53 pm »

>Mr. Wiffles: Usurp a local cat's spot on a warm hearth, get comfy and have a snooze.

Oh man I can't wait to see how badly wrong this shopping trip goes! ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:53:23 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2012, 02:12:24 pm »

"So," Derek coughs and speaks to his adventurer. "Miss Hellbinder. Looks like I'll be working for you for my foreseeable future. Is there anything you need at the moment?"
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2012, 02:29:55 pm »

Head to general store. It should be on a main street, right?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2012, 02:50:22 pm »

"My lady, Coratra, is there anything you need me to do?"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2012, 04:53:45 pm »

Locate the food store and buy the four items on the list, using a little bargaining if possible. Buy as much as I can carry.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2012, 06:32:57 pm »

PITCH THE TENT!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2012, 09:50:26 pm »

>Mr. Wiffles: Usurp a local cat's spot on a warm hearth, get comfy and have a snooze.

Oh man I can't wait to see how badly wrong this shopping trip goes! ;)

Spoken like a true Dongrel. +1

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2012, 02:24:21 am »

Okay, sorry about the delay. I might as well include the dialog by derm and adwarf as actions at this point, but for future reference you aren't required to use them as such. You can use dialogue as an action though, just bold it like one.

You will now notice some meters next to the adventurers' names in the status area. The first is HP, a measure of the adventurer's health much like your own. The second, MP, is generally more important. It doesn't stand for mana points, but rather morale points. As Hero Caddies, it is your job to make sure the heroes get to their battles in top form, and to do this you must keep them happy. This could mean completing tasks for them, or it could mean lying to hide unpleasant truths.

The lower the party's morale drops, the more poorly they may perform on their quest. Extremely low levels can stop the journey altogether. If an adventurer's morale drops to zero, they will snap and attempt to murder a player, usually the caddy serving them. They will stop either when they've murdered their target (at which point their morale will jump back to 5) or are pacified by other means. Currently, all the adventurers' morale is at 16/20 due to the blunder back at Zabrek.

Turn 1 - The First Test

"So," Derek clears his throat and looks at Ravaatra. "Miss Hellbinder. Looks like I'll be working for you for my foreseeable future. Is there anything you need at the moment?"
"You will find out soon enough, servant." With this totally non-foreboding response, she turns on her heel and heads into the inn. Davkul gives her a weird look and follows.
Azatek, meanwhile, leans on the wagon and speaks to Coratra. "My lady, Coratra, is there anything you need me to do?"
She pauses for a moment, thinking to herself. "Hmm. Yes." She tosses an ornate iron dagger to Azatek. "Sharpen this, will you? I'm sure there's a whetstone or something you can use somewhere in town." She steps inside the inn, Vladimir and Odysseus following just behind.

Caddio, dismissed from the briefing, heads down the street in search of a general store. (...) At last he comes across one a short way down the street, and steps inside. Inside are several shelves of merchandise, arranged along the back wall. The storekeeper lights a small lantern on the counter and looks him up and down.
"Well, what can I be gettin' you two?" Caddio turns around to see a gaunt, scarred man in a long, flowing robe stepping into the shop. He belches a small cloud of smoke and removes the pipe from his mouth, then speaks up before placing the pipe back between his lips.
"Just takin' a look's all." He then proceeds to the back of the store and begins examining a nice leather saddle bag.

Bryan heads the opposite direction down the street, looking for a market. Or a "grocery store", whatever Odysseus meant by that. (...) He immediately spots a large sign reading "grocery store". Well then. He heads inside, coming across a wide selection of fruit, veggies, nuts, meat and dairy products. Quite the all-in-one market! He wastes no time, grabbing sizable portions of rice, beans, leeks and... cockatrice cutlets, which they apparently sell here, then sets the bags (containing about 43 shekels' worth of food in all) on the counter. The shopkeep weighs the bags and rings up the total, speaking up in a rasping Daltran brogue.
"Alright, that'll be 46 shekels!"
(...) "Whaddaya say you give it to me for free?!"
"Was that a threat, laddie?!?" The shopkeep pulls a large club with nails driven through it from under the counter.
"I, uh... no! Er-"
"53 shekels for the whole lot." The shopkeep leans on his shillelagh and glares over the counter.

Meanwhile, Raul pulls a large tent-in-a-bag from the wagon and attempts to set it up nearby. (...)
"Oi!" The innkeeper steps out the front door just as he begins to set the tent up. "No camping on inn property!" He steps back inside and slams the door behind him. Mr. Wiffles pads away from the cart, scares a cat away from its spot, lays down and takes a nap.

Status

Player: lawastooshort
Name: Bryan
Adventurer: Davkul Stalkingwolf [HP:20/20] [MP:16/20]
Inventory: Peasant Robe | Bag of Shekels | Grocery List

Player: dermonster
Name: Derek Letum
Adventurer: Ravaatra Hellbinder [HP:20/20] [MP:16/20]
Inventory: Peasant Robe | Vial

Player: Taricus
Name: Raul
Adventurer: Vladimir Silverblade [HP:20/20] [MP:16/20]

Player: IronyOwl
Name: Caddio Nine
Adventurer: Odysseus Hawklight [HP:20/20] [MP:16/20]
Inventory: Peasant Robe | Bag of Shekels | Shopping List

Player: adwarf
Name: Azatek Litz
Adventurer: Coratra Gladomain [HP:20/20] [MP:16/20]
Inventory: Peasant Robe | Dagger

Spoiler: Mr. Wiffles (Dongrel) (click to show/hide)

Hero Caddies      Book I: The Bane of Gortharius      Chapter I: The Chalice of Hope
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2012, 03:05:16 am »

"Er... I've got 48? And a bag? Please let me have it for 48, or the Adventurer's Guild are going to be so angry with me..."

Morelli

• Bay Watcher
  • Even numbers keep me sane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2012, 03:24:58 am »

>Mr. Wiffles: Wake from sleeping, catch a mouse and attempt to reconcile yourself with the cat.

Poor cat just got usurped.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2012, 04:28:02 am »

Goddamnit. If I don't say anything, he might buy the bag. If I do say something, he'll definitely buy the bag!

"Oh, nothing for the moment. I'll have a more solid list after I've looked a bit."

Caddio turned to the scarred man examining the saddlebag.

"Excuse me sir, I couldn't help but notice how distinctive you look. Are you some kind of necromancer?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2012, 07:55:15 am »

Mr. Wiffles:  Investigate the crotch of the innkeeper.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21