Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Regarding Hauling+Stockpiles  (Read 8065 times)

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Hauling+Stockpiles
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 09:00:57 pm »

I woud like the export/import option with the addition of it being a text file of the init type, so that I could edit it before even starting the game, and I wouldn't need to import it each time I started a new fort it would be already set up.  I also like the trip idea.

Is 10 days a necro?
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 01:20:57 am »

Even if it was, necromancy (when providing a useful addition) is a good thing around here.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 02:07:31 am »

RAWify stockpiles (p menu and settings of stockpiles), I hate disabling seeds, fat and extracts on every single food stockpile in every single game.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 08:28:05 am »

I have an idea that will hopefully improve stockpiles, which is, more or less stockpile ordering.

Stockpile ordering means that the player can make 4 types of stockpile:
Primary, secondary, tertiary, and overflow.

Primary is the stockpile that workers use, tweaked a little. In this case workers take the end result of their work (Farming, crafting, woodcutting) to a primary stockpile of that type, so a farmer would harvest their crop, and put it into a nearby primary stockpile.

Secondary stockpiles are your main storage, basically what our stockpiles are now. Haulers would bring the resource from the primary stockpile to the secondary for storage, until they are moved to tertiary stockpiles, basically acting as a central hub.

Tertiary stockpiles are the used ones, which dwarves will take objects out of. These will draw from secondary stockpiles, and could be, for instance a raw food stockpile nearby the kitchens, a prepared food and drink stockpile in your dining room, or a wood stockpile outside the carpenters workshop. These are used for when there isn't enough space in an area for a full sized stockpile.

Overflow stockpiles are linked to secondary stockpiles, and are only used when there is too many objects for the secondary to handle. Haulers would not take objects from overflow stockpiles into tertiary, and when the secondary is emptied out the objects will be returned there.

If Toady employs this method, I would recommend changing the hauling labour sub-division to Primary-Secondary, Secondary-Tertiary, and Secondary-Overflow instead of the options based on object type.
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 03:23:59 am »

@Superior_Tomato : Your idea makes sense... but the mechanic needed is already in the game, it just needs to be expanded upon.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for stockpiles in general, yes, it would be awesome to have them pulled into the raws. Barring that, I can think of a few things that would be handy, but alot of them require significant rewrites.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So Short Recap:

Remove restrictions on daisy chaining stockpiles.
Allow init/xml config of the menu so players can configure the menu.
Add [Stock_Sorting: Tag_me] and have stockpiles use that as the baseline to allow more robust sorting methods.
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 05:02:10 am »

One thing I'd like to see is a setting for whether the stockpile accepts full containers or partially-filled ones, (or both of course)

Then we could have a small stockpile of finished stone goods next to the craftsdwarf workshop, containing bins that get hauled away to the main stockpile near the depot whenever they get full. Similarly for seed stockpiles next to the brewing, threshing and milling.

xlork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 06:09:22 am »

I see no need for splitting hauling from crafting, using 'per-workshop' stockpiles basically does that.

Also, for some reason I don't like the idea of haulers bringing stuff straight to the workshop for the crafters. Not the most convincing argument, but that's just me being weird.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 06:40:39 am »

I see no need for splitting hauling from crafting, using 'per-workshop' stockpiles basically does that.

Also, for some reason I don't like the idea of haulers bringing stuff straight to the workshop for the crafters. Not the most convincing argument, but that's just me being weird.

Exactly, it is making things more complicated for no benefit (and how haulers are supposed to guess purpose of single log in fort with carpentry and wood furnace?)

One thing I'd like to see is a setting for whether the stockpile accepts full containers or partially-filled ones, (or both of course)

Then we could have a small stockpile of finished stone goods next to the craftsdwarf workshop, containing bins that get hauled away to the main stockpile near the depot whenever they get full. Similarly for seed stockpiles next to the brewing, threshing and milling.
And this is a great idea.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 11:22:21 am »

Exactly, it is making things more complicated for no benefit (and how haulers are supposed to guess purpose of single log in fort with carpentry and wood furnace?)

The benefit is that the creator is able to focus on his work instead of darting like an idiot between the stockpile and the workshop- which makes the worktime twice as long as it could be.
Per-workshop stockpiles work, but they require your involvement. My suggestion doesn't.
<3

ApolloCVermouth

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Rodopi Zhivkov
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 11:37:57 pm »

2)Split hauling from crafting
Currently when you issue an order of, say, construct 10 beds, what happens is the carpenter runs to the wood stockpile, brings one piece of wood, constructs a bed and then runs to the stockpile again. What should happen instead is that HAULERS should start bringing in ALL the necessary wood, and as soon as the first is brought the carpenter should begin constructing beds (while the haulers continue bringing more wood for the next ones).
(I think I put this in ESV some time ago...)

One day when crafting, skills, and guilds are better developed, I'd like to see menial skills like hauling handled by children, apprentices, and untrained peasants. Industries could have their own internal hierarchy. 

xlork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 04:06:13 am »

I don't see how requiring the involvement of the player is a problem, since you just set it up once and no more micro after that... unless you want the game to play itself.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 10:00:41 am »

I don't see how requiring the involvement of the player is a problem, since you just set it up once and no more micro after that... unless you want the game to play itself.

Actually, getting the game to handle the tedious paperwork portions of play is exactly the benefit of having a computer to run a game on instead of a board game - unless you are complaining that you don't have to do the temperature system math or fluid dynamics random rolls or pahtfinding by hand and put it into the computer for it.

Removing the micromanagement from the game frees the player up to do more complex tasks themselves, since player time and attention are always at the greatest premium.  The more that stupid routine tasks of getting the fortress to just plain work is automated by the dwarven AI itself, the more that the game can become more complex as a whole, because players can focus their efforts on more complex things than making sure haulers aren't slacking off in brining logs inside from the fields.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 06:41:46 pm »

How about if every workshop had a stockpile-like menu option, where you allow or block particular materials from being used?

Then you wouldn't have to worry about a hauler bringing the wrong materials. And it would be a wonderful option for many other uses. (I'm sure it's been suggested before for other reasons)

Also, limit the pre-hauling to the next job in the queue to prevent excess clutter. (or user-select how far ahead to fetch items)

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

xlork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 08:13:23 pm »

I see your point kohaku, but as I said, this is a one-time-set-up bit of work you have to do, and very easy/quick-to-do micro at that. I think all that is necessary it to get the take from pile functionality fleshed out; namely allowing multiple piles feed from one.
I'm not sure how small/young forts would work with the proposed system; eg. one mason is standing in a workshop waiting for one of the other 6 to bring him some stone that is right next to him but must wait because they are busy.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 08:18:27 pm »

Well, for one thing, you have to do that "one-time" setup for every workshop, which you have to do for every fort you build.

But anyway, one of the things I rather liked the concept of, especially when I was talking about the "conveyor belt" idea was that you could somehow designate a literal supply line. 

If you had, say, a farm which you set to grow pig tails, you could designate that to be fed to the farmer's workshop, which would probably have to be hauled.  From there, however, a conveyor belt could be built that automatically sends the output of the farmer's workshop to the dyer, whose output goes to the loom, whose output is simply dumped into an clothing stockpile area.  Rather than having to micromanage jobs that keep getting canceled, you could simply set them to "work as supplies come in".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2] 3