Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Way, a cute little student project game  (Read 4534 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Way, a cute little student project game
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:03:37 am »

Way, is a student project that won the IGF student showcase. To quote the website, "In Way, two strangers learn to speak."

http://www.makeourway.com/

I found my experience playing the game to be magical. It's very short, took me about 30 minutes to go through, and a lot of that was getting frustrated about the "stinkeye" drawings. (PROTIP, you can move your head by clicking on it).

I don't know if they're going to expand on the game some more, but I can certainly see it going places.

Here's a few pictures from the end (bit of a spoiler, I suggest playing the game first).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Way, a cute little student project game
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:39:19 am »

Inb4 people draw penises all over the place.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:41:03 am »

It looks like its more then that. Something to do with puzzles.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 08:51:22 am »

Brace for incoming horror stories.
It is just begging for it...
I can't see what good it'll become, its trailer and your screenshots make it look like a game made for douching around, which lends to trolling.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:15:04 am »

Just played it, liked it, i think its just and idea or proof of concept right now, but if it continues to be developed it could be great.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:37:41 am »

Well, I am no expert on USA geography, but I was born here and went to our schools. I dont know of any place called Terps in the US, sounds kinda silly.
I got nothing

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:03:07 pm »

USA is huge. Not surprised you never even heard of most of the names of places.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:06:13 pm »

Yeah, it's a puzzle game, one where you need communicate with each other by making gestures to try to indicate what you want the other person to do.

How do you figure out what gestures mean what? Well that's part of the puzzle. It's only at the very end you get the means to communicate with the person you're playing with.

Seriously just play it already, it's not a very long game.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 03:17:37 pm »

Ye gods i love this game... It's so cute... Ahem... I mean awesome...
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 03:25:07 pm »

This game is amazing. To be honest, I think this is the best thing to ever happen to social gaming. It forces you inside the other person's head and you really make a connection - you have to get in there to be able to understand the message they're sending with a wave of arms, a nod of the head.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 03:44:18 pm »

This game is amazing. To be honest, I think this is the best thing to ever happen to social gaming. It forces you inside the other person's head and you really make a connection - you have to get in there to be able to understand the message they're sending with a wave of arms, a nod of the head.
I think thats the idea behind this, but the levels are so simple that that doesnt really hapens, you just point and the other one moves, or at least that was my gameplay like, perhaps i was lucky i got a good companion and we didnt had to comunicate lots of crazy stuff.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 07:26:12 pm »

That was pretty fun. I got with some guy from Brazil.

He immediately started drawing phallic images with suggestive lines going towards my character once I knew where he was from.

Way to represent your country. :P
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 08:43:25 pm »

actually I would be surprised.  I have had 40 years here to see the place, and I have driven it back and forth. But you don't need to see all the towns, there is a pattern to the names used here and once you tune in on that pattern, it becomes evident what is in place and what is not.
I got nothing

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 09:22:20 pm »

actually I would be surprised.  I have had 40 years here to see the place, and I have driven it back and forth. But you don't need to see all the towns, there is a pattern to the names used here and once you tune in on that pattern, it becomes evident what is in place and what is not.

Even with names like "floss", "laws", "mianus", "soso", "d'lo", "ninetimes", "zylks", etc.?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 09:40:21 pm »

Even with names like "floss", "laws", "mianus", "soso", "d'lo", "ninetimes", "zylks", etc.?

Yes, plus i used Google
I got nothing
Pages: [1] 2