Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When are you prepared for the caverns?  (Read 1123 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
When are you prepared for the caverns?
« on: March 11, 2012, 01:32:11 am »

I have to admit, despite my extensive knowledge of the game I have yet to pierce the first cavern layer. :-[ Therefore, I do not know how well equipped my squad should be before exploring it. When do you; the bay watchers, consider your forts ready for the horrors of the depths?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When are you prepared for the caverns?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:45:10 am »

I pierce all 3 caverns and the magma sea within the first month :P

(I like to know where things will get in the way of my epic fortress design (OCD))

...Of course i then block them all off again. But really, the underground is just like a second surface level, with different wildlife. Go exploring!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:47:09 am »

I've never really done teh caverns, the only 2 times i had pierced them nothing showed up to say hello, the forts died of boredom.
Zombies are more fun than randomly generated goo spraying beasts anyway.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:55:29 am »

I've never really done teh caverns, the only 2 times i had pierced them nothing showed up to say hello, the forts died of boredom.
Zombies are more fun than randomly generated goo spraying beasts anyway.
With "horrors of the depths" I was actually refering to GCS and the like. ;D Forgotten beasts waits untill you are "ready for them".
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 01:57:10 am »

You are never ready for a deadly dust beast made of steel.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 02:05:14 am »

True, but when are you ready for the GCS, olmmen and giant cave swallows then?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 02:07:31 am »

True, but when are you ready for the GCS, olmmen and giant cave swallows then?
As soon as you can train some crossbow dorfs up and carve the walls into fortifications.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 02:19:22 am »

If you'd feel reasonably safe having your dwarves work outside in a low-savagery area, you're ready for the first cavern layer.

If you'd feel reasonably safe having your dwarves work outside in a medium-savagery area, you're ready for the second cavern layer.

If you'd feel reasonably safe having your dwarves work outside in a high-savagery area, you're ready for the third cavern layer.

That's my basic rule of thumb. Generally, the first cavern layer is actually somewhat less dangerous than a Calm area, the second less dangerous than a Wilderness, and the third less dangerous than Untamed Wilds. If the surface is an undead zone, treat them as as about as dangerous as the evil versions of the same savagery (that's taking into account the extra precautions needed to deal with the walking dead).

The bigger creatures are uncommon-to-rare in the upper caverns and the majority of the creatures in the first cavern will flee from your dwarves unless trapped, so wildlife in the first cavern isn't very dangerous, and there's no chance of goblin ambushes in the caverns, so that's why they're safer. Forgotten Beasts seem to show up earlier and more often than titans and other megabeasts, but if you've got a military capable of handling goblins you've got a military capable of handling most FBs, and you get fair warning when they show up anyway, so they're not actually all that bad.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 02:21:04 am by NecroRebel »
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 03:13:37 am »

No later than whenever I start worrying about my timber supply, really. If you've been productive enough to have chopped down most of the trees outside, your fort should be able to handle the occasional incursion by cavern-dwellers. If you're too scared to go outside to chop trees, the caverns are probably safer :P. If you were foolhardy enough to embark on a site that doesn't HAVE many trees, you probably know enough to be able to handle yourself.

Another good sign that you're ready for the caverns is boredom, of course. Because really, the caverns aren't that bad, aside from the occasional forgotten beast or GCS (either the swallow or the spider), and even those generally aren't too much worse than a goblin attack. Just make sure that you don't have your main hallway open directly into the caverns, though - that tends to scare dwarves, and makes it even easier for a flier to enter your dining room.

Now, HFS? That's something you probably want to prepare carefully for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 06:43:01 am »

Well I have an extensively militarized fortress, and I cleared the first cavern layer of everything within a month of the second year, and got everything sealed. Probably more down to me being hesitant when breaching the caverns, but meh, Giant Cave Spiders getting torn to pieces by unarmoured Dwarf lords has its merits. Though I suppose you could just wall off bits of the cavern instead of sealing it to the level I did...

Echo51

• Bay Watcher
  • The amazing random pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 09:25:47 am »

I pierced the first cavern and mocked around it a bit back in 32.25, nothing bad happend tho, atleast not that i noticed. Which was a good thing, because i didn't have any sqauds or traps at all
Fire is awesome in this game. I should start another one.
No one with appropriate skills, so a bunch of jewelers are being promoted to Doctors. Hey, don't look at me like that. They know plenty about chiseling things off.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 09:30:24 am »

You are ready to pierce the caverns as soon as you start wondering why you don't have a GCS silk farm
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479