Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 4169 times)

boathouse2112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:12:54 pm »

Could someone please explain hunting to me?

The wiki page says i just set it to hunt but i have no idea what to do from there.

Already got a butchers etc set up, too.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:22:38 pm »

Provide a crossbow, quiver, and bolts.  Enable hunting.  Wait for the corpses to pile up.

Also works with bow and arrow, if you happen to have those laying about (lol war with elves).

boathouse2112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:34:11 pm »

Thx - That's what i needed to know

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:48:45 pm »

You have to enable Hunting aswell, which can either be done with Dwarf therapist (look it up) in an easy and productive way, or in-game,by using the v key, hitting p for prefrances, scrolling to hunting then toggling it on.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 10:56:37 pm »

Is there a significant difference in function between bows and crossbows?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 11:02:16 pm »

You can make crossbows and bolts, but you cant make bows or arrows, the only way to get them is from Elves or Humans, via trading or, in most cases with elves, ownage.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:05:15 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 11:03:25 pm »

I think they're functionally identical, except you need to import your bows and arrows, either by purchase or by war.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 11:53:17 pm »

From the raws, the only difference (other than the skill used for bashes) is that crossbows are size 400 and bows are size 300. Maybe that means bows do less damage on bashes and would thus be better for guards? I dunno.
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:26:50 am »

If a crossbowman beats someone with the crossbow, he gets a increase in hammer skill. While doing it with a bow, its sword skill
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 04:36:35 am »

If your dwarves aren't hunting, it's because they're missing one of these things:
Enabled hunting labor.
Bolts.
Quiver.
Crossbow.
Assigned ammo in your military screen for hunters(by default, don't worry about this)
And most importantly, something huntable. Birds, I've found, often don't count. <anything> men don't count unless you have ETHIC:Eat_Sapient_kill:ACCEPTABLE.
And paths to all the same.

I usually run out of bolts or bad guys. Remember to make a refuse stockpile for all the corpses!

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 05:27:16 am »

Another thing - if your dwarves are killing animals but they're not getting butchered or brought back to the fort, make sure that:

1) You have built a Butcher's Workshop and have at least one dorf with Butchery enabled.

2) Make sure your (o)rders are set, so that dwarves gather corpses from outside.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 05:57:03 am »

Another thing - if your dwarves are killing animals but they're not getting butchered or brought back to the fort, make sure that:

1) You have built a Butcher's Workshop and have at least one dorf with Butchery enabled.

2) Make sure your (o)rders are set, so that dwarves gather corpses from outside.
The hunter will drop the body on the workshop and it will blow (Insta butchering).
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 06:20:26 am »

From the raws, the only difference (other than the skill used for bashes) is that crossbows are size 400 and bows are size 300. Maybe that means bows do less damage on bashes and would thus be better for guards? I dunno.

How would that make them better for guards? It isn't going to reduce their likelihood to engage in melee combat, it's just gonna make them suck worse at it.

You can make crossbows and bolts, but you cant make bows or arrows, the only way to get them is from Elves or Humans, via trading or, in most cases with elves, ownage.

Goblins will oblige by bringing you arrows too. It's not very practical though, just making crossbows and bolts is superior. Not only because you then can ensure a steady supply of bolts but also because the dwarfs are (probably still) too idiotic to realise you can't shoot bolts with a bow or arrows with a crossbow and so you need to avoid that confusion.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 06:38:52 am »

Guards sucking worse at melee combat means you have less chance of your legendary weaponsmith getting his skull jammed through his brain because a noble blamed him for not making metal barrels or something.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 06:44:15 am »

Which can also be avoided by not bothering with the "justice" system and getting mandates finished in time. :P
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Pages: [1] 2