Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Goodbye dungeon master, hello trial and terror  (Read 13330 times)

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goodbye dungeon master, hello trial and terror
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:30:34 am »

So toady has just announced that the dungeon master has gone the way of the armory dwarf. Instead taming animals will be a combination of normal jobs plus civilization knowledge (which could also provide toady with another way to use books in gameplay).

What does everyone think? Will you miss the multiple cloak wearing dwarf of questionable existence?

Do you welcome the chance of having multiple dwarfs who can tame cave crawlers and who's labour you can control?

(okay I admit I'm biased in favour of this change as it does sound brilliant)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye dungeon master, hello trial and terror
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 05:41:58 am »

All I want to know is How am I getting back mhy Weponized GCS's ?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 05:45:30 am »

What I'll do is mod in a Dungeon Master and make my best animal trainer that noble.
They possibly may also be forced to learn furnace operating and metalcrafting as well.

But seriously, now this is some upgrade to fixing the Dungeon Master missing. Rather than twiddling your thumbs while that dragon is waiting a proper trainer to show up, you can start trying to tame it right away.

Let's just hope that the thing with creatures going permanently hostile when they've killed a dorf will be fixed so taming 'em will remove those deadly intents. What with tamed killer creatures being trap-immune and scaring the crap out of everyone, besides all the murder.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 05:48:11 am »

All I want to know is How am I getting back mhy Weponized GCS's ?
At worst it's what the devlog mentioned about dragons, at least that's my guess. Either "someone who's decent at the job" or "a few spare dwarfs".  :o

Will be interesting to see where this ends up.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 06:42:19 am »

Good, finally a use for my useless migrants
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 07:05:33 am »

Dungeon Master shall now be the custom profession name of the most prolific and successful animal trainer in my fortress. Other than that, it was beginning to get tedious having to go through n-number of files to change exotics to regular pets, so anything is an improvement.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:11:46 am »

I assume he would be fixing that permanently hostile thing otherwise it would not be fun to tame dragons

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 07:13:17 am »

I assume he would be fixing that permanently hostile thing otherwise it would not be fun to tame dragons

I think so. I'd imagine so. I really hope so.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 07:20:27 am »

Dungeon Master shall now be the custom profession name of the most prolific and successful animal trainer in my fortress. Other than that, it was beginning to get tedious having to go through n-number of files to change exotics to regular pets, so anything is an improvement.
Notepad++ is your friend. Change all exotics to regular in like, 5 clicks.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:23:36 am »

It could be that if someone messes up when training an animal they get injured and the animal stays wild, that way you could still tame it and there would be a consequence for using unskilled workers to train an animal your civilization knows nothing about. For example a dragon might bite a clueless trainer's arm off.

I said at the start books could also be implemented here, it might even mean that elves could have something you would want to trade.

I wonder if this will stop all the statues of humans taming giant eagles throughout worldgen that my master blacksmith keeps forging.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 07:28:01 am »

you need the noexotics utility.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 07:37:34 am »

Wait, how do you even TRY training an exotic like a GCS these days, it's not like there is a menu otion for it.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:48:26 am »

Wait, how do you even TRY training an exotic like a GCS these days, it's not like there is a menu otion for it.
You delete the exotic from the exotic pet tag. It's pretty tedious but means any dwarf can then train it.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 09:51:55 am »

'splain. I downloaded ++ months ago, but I haven't bothered with it in almost as long.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 09:56:43 am »

'splain. I downloaded ++ months ago, but I haven't bothered with it in almost as long.
Select all the RAWs in windows, then open in ++. You can then find and replace across every file you opened - it's a separate tab in the ctrl-f window. "find in files"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5