Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Goodbye dungeon master, hello trial and terror  (Read 13337 times)

Steb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye dungeon master, hello trial and terror
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:10:45 am »

Looking forward to this update. Must update my STANDARD_EMBARK profile to include a proficient animal trainer.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 10:14:34 am »

Dungeon Master shall now be the custom profession name of the most prolific and successful animal trainer in my fortress. Other than that, it was beginning to get tedious having to go through n-number of files to change exotics to regular pets, so anything is an improvement.
Notepad++ is your friend. Change all exotics to regular in like, 5 clicks.

'splain. I downloaded ++ months ago, but I haven't bothered with it in almost as long.
Select all the RAWs in windows, then open in ++. You can then find and replace across every file you opened - it's a separate tab in the ctrl-f window. "find in files"
all this time, wasted...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 10:21:49 am »

(Didn't read the whole thread.)

I never played in the days of a dungeon master, so I don't appear to have the fondness that everyone else does, though I can still readily imagine myself making a dungeon master.  Actually probably something more like Steve Irwin, I liked that guy.  (No jokes please, some respect.)  Give him a nice room and some nice duds, may even make a noble position for him but that's a little questionable.  I'm extremely likely to make a squad for the animal trainers, the Irwinian leader and some interns, where the interns prod the giant lion while Irwin watches, taking notes on their violent deaths, before he finds out enough information and goes down to actually tame it.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 10:41:08 am »

Reading the rough plan system for animal training has got me more excited than about this recent release. This going to be great for people who like to train exotic animals like myself. Finally a legitimate way to train a beakdog army!

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 10:49:04 am »

This will be really cool. Wait, do beak dogs have [pet/exotic] tags?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 11:07:27 am »

Almost all non-sentient creatures have [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC]. And something about Tigermen.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 11:13:53 am »

Beak dogs don't, I remember noticing that.  Tigermen do.  Hello Tigerman Mayor!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 11:53:50 am »

Sounds to me like that whoever becomes your most skilled trainer will kind of become youre local dungeon master equivalent anyway...
This is a blank sig.

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 12:11:01 pm »

What did the armory dwarf do?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 12:13:57 pm »

Verify the assignment militry gear of each soldier. Basically make it a chore for anyone needing a weapon or armour to get anything.
This is a blank sig.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 12:20:01 pm »

When you made a uniform change, he would run around to the barracks and make sure they complied to uniform.  Y'know, when he wasn't On Break, Attending Party, Sleep, On Break, or...

You know, basically your Chief Medical Dwarf, except in charge of keeping your soldiers armed!

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 12:27:32 pm »

Huh. Glad he was removed. :P

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 02:10:54 pm »

I do miss the dungeon master.  He's a relic of an older age, when nobles were almost entirely useless, and the dungeon master was a welcome exception.  Plus, all those cloaks.  The philosopher was pretty cool too.

I never did the exotic->pet mod thing, it didn't feel right to me.  An exotic pet should be special and rare, not just another horse.  Of course, even with the dungeon master, it was rather all or nothing: either you could tame exotics, or you couldn't.

Hopefully, the new system will make it possible, but difficult, to tame exotics.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 02:13:58 pm »

(Didn't read the whole thread.)

I never played in the days of a dungeon master, so I don't appear to have the fondness that everyone else does, though I can still readily imagine myself making a dungeon master.

Atleast you aren't me, I started playing in '08, but I didn't touch wiki, youtubes, interbutts ect until I taught myself how to play.. and alas.. three years later I was finally cool enough, but the game didn't have him anymore.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 02:22:02 pm »

I think this new system sounds very dwarfy.

+ you get to feed your unwanted dwarfs to beasts - or they succeed in training them and gain skill and knowledge, win-win!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5