Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Best/worst artifacts  (Read 26018 times)

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best/worst artifacts
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 06:43:11 am »

Worst: Phillitye, with gems decorated quern
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 07:06:57 am »

Worst: Phillitye, with gems decorated quern

this is actually very useful for happy thoughts.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 08:08:43 am »

Worst:  In one fortress, I had not made any effort to set up defenses centered around marksdwarves.  Why should I?  I was on an island and had no external threats, and HFS doesn't care much about bolts AFAIK. 

So, naturally, I got something like 5 crossbow makers as migrants, 3 of which grabbed strange moods, two of which created artifact bows.  No ammo for them.  No way of getting ammo for them.  Just 2 crappy bludgeoning sticks.

I hate those bows even more than every basalt earring I've ever made.

Best:  Tie between a nickel silver mace and a golden table.  I put my baron's office in a closet with that table, and he was happy as could be.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 08:25:58 am »

best: a wooden crossbow.

worst: a single copper shoe.  You'd think they would at least make a pair.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 08:35:04 am »

Doesn't look like it's been mentioned yet, but...
Worst: Leather Shield (Gave it to crossbow dwarf it lasted all of 3 seconds)
Any artifact shield > any masterwork shield. Material is utterly irrelevant for its defensive properties, so if you care about your dwarves living, give them the shield.

Material only matters for the bash effect and speed. Higher weight = better bash attacks, lower weight = faster speed. Up to you which matters more, but defense trumps both for me. IMO you got the best possible artifact type for leather.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 08:52:04 am »

Best would have to be one fort I ran about 2 years ago.  I had 3 armorers all go into moods, and they all made candy armor.  A helm, breastplate, and one boot.  And then my military leader equipped them all and he was pretty much invincible.

Worst I'd have to say is any type of earring / craft that is basically useless.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 09:35:31 am »

Crafts are obviously worst, since they're quite simply useless. Unless you want your fort value as high as possible, but there are easy ways to do that anyway.

I think I most like any artifact that I can build somewhere often used. Doors, floor hatches, millstones, that sort of thing.

Artifact weapons and armor are nice, but they're ALWAYS a silver sword or a candy warhammer or one single steel boot or something. Too annoying :p

Rominus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 12:05:37 pm »

My favorite recently is a zinc sarcophagus, covered in three types of gems.  Best part though is it got me a legendary blacksmith who I now have churning out brass statues worth 2200 dwarf bucks a piece (and covered in fort history: 'The image refers to the return from the dead of Urist McKilledByWeregoat to haunt Solozlogem in late autrumn 252!)  Put those in all the high traffic areas of my fort, and happiness is set!

Not to mention I now have an awesome tomb set up for whoever I decide deserves it.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 12:59:49 pm »

In my current fort it would be the galena bed decorated with emeralds and diamonds worth about 135000. Though the rock crystal statue of the founding of the fort isn't so bad either. Probably the worst artifacts are the usual wooden craft crap, but the most frustrating is when my only weaponsmith got a possession. So close and yet so far.
Memento Mori

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 01:55:56 pm »

Urist McGreatBowyer has been possesed!
Urist McGreatBowyer has clamed a Bowyers workshop!
Urist McGreatBowyer has begun a misterious construction!
Urist McGreatBowyer has created "Derp Imuseless" a wooden blowgun!

...and thats when he met the magma...
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 03:00:21 pm »

Best : Jade Portal / Adamantine Crossbow
Worst : Pig tail fiber earring

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 06:21:21 pm »

Urist McGreatBowyer has been possesed!
Urist McGreatBowyer has clamed a Bowyers workshop!
Urist McGreatBowyer has begun a misterious construction!
Urist McGreatBowyer has created "Derp Imuseless" a wooden blowgun!

...and thats when he met the magma...

its ok, just mod your dwarves to use blowguns!

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 06:53:10 pm »

its ok, just mod your dwarves to use blowguns!

Modding is only required to add blowguns to the list of things that can be made in the bowyer's workshop. If you already have a blowgun in your fort, you can assign it to a military dwarf and they will pick it up and try to use it same as any other weapon. Of course if you don't also have some blowgun darts they will only be able to use it as a bludgeon. Have you performed genocidal extermination upon your local tribe of subterranean animal people yet? They often have some.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 06:54:18 pm »

no, but i did allow dwarves to make blowdarts once, added a very basic poisen ammo. never really got far with it though.

T-Mick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 07:33:29 pm »

Best  was a clay-stone statue with some gems and wood spikes.  Kept the whole fortress happy, even after many deaths and tragedies.  Worst was a lead boot.  Just one. Not usable, not build-able. Only benefit was the legendary armor smith that came out.
“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!” -Hilaire Belloc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9