Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 74

Author Topic: [Succession Game] Markedangels The Water Of Living  (Read 135022 times)

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
Re: [Succession Game] Markedangels The Water Of Living
« Reply #885 on: July 11, 2012, 12:08:09 pm »

Let's pretend that page 59 never happned.
The other day I was reading through the illustrated story of "Soapeater"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109582.msg3287237#msg3287237
it's like a community driven thing(on a russian forum?)
I really like the idea but alot of the story gets lost in translation...

So I was thinking of doing something similar were an illustrated story would be moved forward by input from the community.
It would of course be in the df-universe(slightly tweaked) and you're free to do whatever you want. I'm leaning towards a less serious version were engaging in a political discussion with the mayor is just as feasible as throwing your excrements at him.

So I'm kinda throwing the idea out there to get some response-
Think it would be cool? Would you read it and give some input? What part of the forum should I post it in? Want me to give an example?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:59:24 pm by slowpokez »

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 11, 2012, 08:48:48 pm »

:-X
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 13, 2012, 05:31:26 am »

So... Since Page 59 didnt happen I havent asked in a bit; VODRILUS, WHERE ART THOU?
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 13, 2012, 03:57:28 pm »

Sorry, another case of RL.  :-[

----------------------------
12th Moonstone
Datan, our captain takes on Dorku, the huge eyeless duck! He is helped by some of the more aggressive animals, the turkeys.

The battle rages on, while the rest of the fort tries to stay out of the way, skittering away from even a glimpse of the mighty duck. Our ancestral memory tells us that this beast's blood is deadly. We await with great anxiety its effects.

Inod the Speardwarf is kicked with such power that he slams straight into a wall! There he lies, unconscious from the pain.

Datan looks badly feverish, but is holding his own.

Our cuts only scratch the beasts skin. We must rush him now if we seek to destroy it. That means absolutely everyone. Except the kids. Children do as they please.

Now Nomal. The duck kicked the Macedwarf in the head with its foot, braining him. The blow sent the lifeless body flying into a wall.

14th
Not all seem to have heard the summons, since only a few dwarves actually fight the creature. This must be mutiny!

Nil the mayor is valiantly trying to hold a diplomatic meeting with the "outpost liaison". How brave of him.

While we get slaughtered down here, the merchants sit idly in the depot, admiring the fine trinkets we traded them. Damn cowards!

The creepy crutch kid is partying. What is going on? [Damn, not supposed to be Slowpokez III.]

We are getting desperate. The monster gored Cog the dog with its horns, braining him and sending him skidding across the floor.
Also, apparently the "outpost liaison" wasn't happy with the delayed meeting. He gave us one of the universal signs and left. Typical.

That's it! We have no chance against that monster. Down to the sealable emergency room. We must escape!

15th
We are dropping like flies! We even lost Edem the Legendary Mechanic!

There, that lever!

Hurry! Hurry!

xczxc, that blessed dwarf, has brought a weapon bin with him into the safe room!

16th

The first to enter combat with the beast, Datan is now also the last. Winded, bruised, fevered he stared down at the monstrous creature. As it had no eyes, the monster could not stare back. Nonetheless Datan felt it watching him, wheighing him. Datan flew at the monster in a frenzy, landing blow after blow, but to no effect. Effortlessly, the duck snatched Datan's right upper arm with its beak, ripping it off clean. It took hold of him with its wing, but he slipped away.

With barely enough time to gather his wits, Datan saw the mighty beast charging at him. They tumbled down, and in the tumult Datan's left foot was destroyed by the beast's horn. The beast wrestled with the captain, pinning him down with a wing, shattering the left elbow. Bleeding, broken and feverish the captain opened his eyes long enough to see a terrible maw coming down on his head. He was no more.

We pulled the lever. The mechanisms rattled and clicked and then... silence.

A cold dread creeps into our hearts; did no-one link this lever? Our horror is broken by a terrible, booming crash that could be nothing other than a cave-in.

Shocked and stunned we were, but ecstatic. Praise the Catapult! It worked, and we are now safe!

A silence fell among us, and we watched each other. How long would we have to spend stuck in here, together? The five of us and a bunch of kids.

It is strange. Somehow I feel happier than ever before.

This was meant to happen. The Catapult has lead us here. Like a catapult slings missiles hard and far, so are we flinged into this adventure. This is our place. Let us do what only dwarves can do: Strike the earth!
Outside, the beast must prowl; we could only scratch it.

Fortunately, we can no longer hear it raging.

19th Moonstone

The first thing is food. We must start growing some pretty soon, or we will soon face famine.

24th Moonstone
There is no food, and there will be none. I was trying to start up farming with a bit of irrigation, but then it hit me: We have no seeds in here. How can we be so stupid? No, we were not meant to stay here.
The choices are grim: Will we remain here and be reduced to first eating our pets, and then each other? Or will we dig out and take our chances with that beast. I really have no idea...

25th Moonstone
After a long and heated discussion, we decided to put the matter to a vote by pebbles: diorite for 'dig', slate for 'stay'. In addition to the rat skull we discovered in the vote pot, we fortunately found also two bits of slate and three of diorite. We will dig. May the Catapult save us!

Ineth the miner hesitated to dig for a few times, but eventually got the job done. We were greeted by a queer silence.

But the time for hesitation had gone, and the race for the food stockpile had begun. We faced a truly horrific sight: dead everywhere. Only we are left, and a peasant who was resting in the hospital.

We were surprised to find the beast dead, apparently killed by the merchant guards. One of them had carved a few runes next to the carcass: "Easy as pie." Bastards.

We soldier on, the five of us. The injured peasant doesn't count, since he does nothing but cry for someone to feed and water him.
This will not end well.

----------------
I'm actually grinding through Obsidian now, but I decided that this deserved its own post.

EDITZ: Long post, many typo.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:08:12 pm by Vodrilus »
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #889 on: July 13, 2012, 04:15:02 pm »

"Awwww, shit. This is gonna be fantastic."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:03:29 pm by slowpokez »

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 13, 2012, 05:17:30 pm »

The duck used to look a bit more dramatic in my mind. Now I can't shake your... err... 'kid mode' interpretation? Imagine seeing that in some video game meant for 7-year olds. Think of the mental trauma to follow. It is hilarious, however.

Also, I'm particularly pissed off about that forgotten beast getting in, since I had a really good thing going there. There were a lot of demons left to slaughter, but I can't seem to get lever-pullers to do the job, since they're too busy hauling their dead friends' socks. That'll probably have to wait until we get some more migrants. Aaaand that'll probably happen on the next player's turn (if my 4fps ever get us there).

EDIT: eh
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:25:12 pm by Vodrilus »

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #891 on: July 13, 2012, 05:30:21 pm »

The duck used to look a bit more dramatic in my mind. Now I can't shake your... err... 'kid mode' interpretation? Imagine seeing that in some video game ment for 7-year olds. It is hilarious, however.

Also, I'm particularly pissed off about that forgotten beast getting in, since I had a really good thing going there. There were a lot of demons left to slaughter, but I can't seem to get lever-pullers to do the job, since they're too busy hauling their dead friends' socks. That'll probably have to wait until we get some more migrants. Aaaand that'll probably happen on the next player's turn (if my 4fps ever get us there).
1. It's a yellow duck...what did ya expect?
2.Don't feel bad man, sometimes you have to look at the bright side of things...like...well...
Atleast you did better then Chilton.  :)

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 13, 2012, 05:37:05 pm »

Atleast you did better then Chilton.  :)
True. He unleashed hell, I releashed it.

EDIT: But, my useful workforce has been reduced to 5... no, 4.

EDIT2: YESSS!!! I've managed to plod through the year with 4-5 fps. I could upload the save and write up the last bits, but the time is 2:43 (as in, in the middle of the night) over here. Which means that I won't do that today, but tomorrow with a fresh set of eyes. No, wait, that's actually today.  :P
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:36:36 pm by Vodrilus »

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 14, 2012, 05:22:59 am »

I did worse than You for one reason: It was sheer luck that I could wall off those areas. Were it not for that, Id have killed Us 3-4 times now. You made one mistake, and one monster got in. Ive gambled with more than that. You handled it well - I didnt even HAVE a bloody emergency room. My contingency plan was "RISE WARRIORS OF MARKEDANGELS" and epic music. :P

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 14, 2012, 09:29:57 am »

The emergency room? Actually, that may have been xczxc's doing. Personally, I usually stick to a very conservative play style, almost to the point of turtling in. So, I tried to be bold-ish with this one, and probably wouldn't have made an emergency room. Yay xczxc!  8)

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 14, 2012, 10:13:43 am »

An evil, evil double post.  :P
---------------------------
The journal of Vodrilus IV Medtoblitast, Overseer

10th Opal
The work is grueling. The five of us are breaking our backs every day under the sheer multitude of jobs at hand. Now the corpses of our comrades are beginning to rot. No celebration, I tell you...

20th Opal
Otherwise pretty uneventful, but we are further hampered by the evil blood of the beast. Obok the Creepy Kid is taken by a fever after crawling through it. I wonder if I should allow cleaning jobs once again. Nah.

14th Obsidian
Finally, we have cleared the fort of all rotting body parts. Now we must make sure that we survive this. There is sufficient food and drink, so we can wait for another batch of pilgrims. If any are left. We watch. We wait.

16th Obsidian
A small group of ash and salt demons has come to investigate the Perforator. I must find someone to man the lever.

17th Obsidian
Finally we have someone operating the Perforator lever again! Heave! We

18th Obsidian
Another group of demons was destroyed. Who would've thought that lever-pulling could be so satisfying?

23rd Obsidian
Today was a really bad day.
I knew something was about, when xczxc kept following me and pestered me with pointless questions. I promptly ignored him and tried to get on with my job. I didn't get very far, since he slapped some manacles on me and took me away.

I've been stripped of my position as captain of guard and hammerer! Needless to say, I'm no longer the Overseer. When I asked xczxc what the charges against me were, he promptly replied: two counts of murder.

What is the meaning of this? 401 days!? That's more than a year! And I wasn't even here when those poor bastards were killed; I just arrived this year to marvel the Catapult! This whole thing has backfired in a rather diabolical way.
xczxc left, chuckling into his beard, wishing me good luck in getting fed and watered. That bastard! I'll wring his neck once I get out.

Now my only company is that weird old ghost of some old Hammer Lord. He just stares at me with a dull look in his eyes. Nothing scary.

25th Obsidian
Another visitor in my dreary prison. A cat on my bed. I don't really like cats, but any company is welcome right now. He purs nice, when I pet him.

399 days left.

26th Obsidian
A few dwarves were visiting the well today, and I managed to overhear a bit of news.

One of the kids has reached the ripe old age of 12, and is now suddenly able to take on all possible jobs in the fortress. Also, Mafol the milker has been missing for a week now. I remember that he had been feverish for a while, but I have no idea where he could've gone. 398 days left.

27th Obsidian
Ach, they found that milker. Dehydrated, with an empty bucket by his side. Strangely reminiscent, isn't it?

397 days left.

28th Obsidian
The last day of the year. Sad. I had great plans for this place, but now we are reduced to five useful dwarves and a bunch of kids. My imprisonment isn't helping, either. This journal is now all that I have left of my time as Overseer, inherited from my predecessor. I am now reduced to talking with that damn ghost.

He seems to understand by pain, since he also is a prisoner of sorts. He never speaks, but is better company than the statue. He looks pretty imposing with that dinted armor and worn warhammer. Every day I see something new in him.

Perhaps I am slowly going mad? Not yet, I think, since I can still make perfect sense of this journal. Also, my writings also still seem quite sane.

396 days left.

1st Granite
'Tis spring.

395 days left.

-----------------------
It's done. To quote the words of George R. R. Martin... "This one was a bitch." Not the actual play, but that damn lag. Ugh!
Here's the link to the save.
The year is 260, 1st Granite.
If you have any questions regarding the place, do ask... unless you wish to work everything out by yourself.  :P

EDIT: I need to play some Mass Effect right now...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:15:27 am by Vodrilus »

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 14, 2012, 10:45:40 am »

That turn was good fun  ;D
By the way Vodrilus, read the title page again.
"Where Your Hopes And Dreams Come To Get Crushed"

Im pretty sure all Your dreams for the Fort were just crushed by a Duck and Imprisonment.

Good luck Slowpoke!

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #897 on: July 14, 2012, 11:52:17 am »

I hope u sign up for another turn V cause I really loved your updates :)

I know I just got back from france but im away again atm...
Dunno when I'll be back tho.

spitss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 14, 2012, 02:50:19 pm »

Wow, didn't realise how bad things had gotten, had a look at the save and there are dead bodies everywhere, so now we have a dying fort sandwiched in between zombies from above and demons/forgotten beasts from bellow with hundreds of dead bodies literally everywhere.

Can't wait for my turn  :D

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #899 on: July 14, 2012, 04:39:41 pm »

Oh, I just remembered that I had this one lying around...

( Tell me if it don't work and I'll repost it from my pc instead later :D )

Markedangels second gen. coming soon :P
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 74