Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bee people help  (Read 1272 times)

InfinityWEAPON

• Bay Watcher
  • Not as cool as he thinks he is.
    • View Profile
Bee people help
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:05:51 pm »

I've been trying my hand at modding again, with the ultimate goal this time around being to produce an insectoid (bee) civ with their own versions of dogs and cats, in keeping with the theme I'm making them insects.

While I've been more or less successful (I'm playing right now with my bee people civ, and the dog replacement is more or less working) the error log has pointed out some tiny issues I'd like to get ironed out before moving on to adding the cat replacement.

The error log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Bee people raws:

And the Dragant raws:

It is also worth noting that my Dragants constantly flash the 'Wounded' image, whether they are hurt or not.

While, I recognize (most of) the problems, being as inexperienced as I am I have no idea how to solve them. Which is why I came here.
Can anyone help me out?
The bacon is currently molten, this is a problem.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bee people help
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 03:13:14 pm »

Something with tissues.
Hey, what is that I see here?
Dragant raws:
 [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:CHITIN:FAT:MUSCLE
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:18:29 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:20:57 pm »

There are typos all over the dragant entry.

Code: [Select]
   [BODY:QUADRUPED::4EYES:::2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN::4TOES_FQ_REG:4TOES_RQ_REG:MOUTH:2WINGS]
         [POP_RATIO:5

Furthermore you've tried to give them attacks using teeth and nails they don't have.

The upper set of attacks in the beeman entry are redundant and are causing errors because they're defined before the bodies (in addition to having the same problem as the dragant attacks). The sinew/ichor/pus imports should be below the body definitions as well.

Another consideration: Remember that a straight bite attack with the mouth is going to be extremely weak given that the mouth is made of muscle and not anything harder. My solution to this is to replace the mouth tissue with the chitin tissue, giving boneless creatures the effectiveness of things with teeth.

InfinityWEAPON

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:06:07 pm »

Just tried moving the tissue de
Something with tissues.
Hey, what is that I see here?
Dragant raws:
A typo?

I've fixed the typos indicated, and sorted out the Bee man attack issue.
But I still haven't been able to fix the bite/scratch problem. I even replaced the GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_EYE_TEETH tag, and removed the [NOBONES], but bite has just refused to be fixed.
And there's still the issue of why BLACK will work for a beeman's eyes, but not  dragant.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:28:02 pm »

Well, the problem with the colour modifier isn't to do with BLACK in of itself, it's something wrong with the way the tissues are handled. Chances are something's in the wrong order or the tissue doesn't exist in the right spot or something.

CHITIN_MATERIALS doesn't import the TOOTH mat, and the same's true for CHITIN_TISSUES and the tissue, so you'll have to do that manually or use the STANDARD detail plans. Nails aren't included in any detail plan and are layered manually (refer to the dwarf entry).

InfinityWEAPON

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 07:26:11 pm »

The problem doesn't seem to be the materials or tissues, I just switched over to STANDARD and the problem is still there.  [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS] contains tooth details already, so that could only be the problem if it's interfering with the other material layers.

The current raws:

I have no idea why this in't working.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 07:39:40 pm »

Fixed it. Typos in the body line were making the game read it badly, and I just layered the tooth/nail stuff manually.

InfinityWEAPON

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 07:47:58 pm »

Wow. Looks like you've got some experience in this field.
Thanks for the help!