Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

N/A

N/A
N/A

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29

Author Topic: Dominions 3 PBEM - Round 7.5 - FINISHED  (Read 55159 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3 PBEM - Round Seven - Early game
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2012, 11:19:41 pm »

Yup, those tables are numerical versions of the in-game score charts and they're accurate!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2012, 07:18:36 am »

I'd like to note that only R'lyeh and Patala had an awake pretender doing research on their first turn. Bogarus' research appears to be solely from their mages, because I'm pretty sure his pretender was a SC, who is most likely dead now unless he was immortal. Bogarus seems to be overtaxing every turn to fund their mage purchases, since their mages are freaking powerful.

Well, that's just my guessing though.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2012, 08:05:48 am »

Well, they're not super powerful, they're just... well rounded. But good guesses overall.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2012, 08:36:54 am »

Well, they're not super powerful, they're just... well rounded. But good guesses overall.
Well, let's see... You have sacred blood mages, putting you on an endgame path already, plenty of astral(ie communion) mages, and access to air, fire, earth and death. And that's just the recruitables, the most expensive of which costs only 250 gold for a total of 7 picks of magic, with a 10% chance of another pick.

And that's just the recruitables. You've got a bunch of good summoned mages as well. So what am I saying here? They're super powerful because they're so well rounded. I mean, look at me and my Patala:

Outside my capital, all I get is 2S1N at most. Yeah, nothing but communion fodder, those. My capital-only mages give me more nature, earth and water, but the cheapest one costs me 250 gold for 5 picks. My most powerful one gets 9 picks, with a 10% chance at 10, but costs 450 gold. And I can only recruit one per turn. My summons give me some access to air at Conjuration 6, too, but nothing else until I start pulling out freaking Rudras. I've never done that, you know, and they can't research or forge anyway.

Basically, Bogarus is powerful late-game because they can recruit a wide variety of paths everywhere.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2012, 08:54:44 am »

Ok, yeah, assuming 1) I can get off do a decent start (which seems to be debatable, despite what the charts may say) and 2) I can actually use communions (which I never have before). Almost all of my mages only have 1 in any given path except the 250 cost ones which are only recruitable in my capital. Plus it's one thing to have a potentially powerful nation on paper and another to actually use it well. To be honest, I'm not a particularly good Dom3 player, having only played against people once, really. *shrug*

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2012, 09:07:32 am »

To be honest, I'm not a particularly good Dom3 player, having only played against people once, really. *shrug*
That's infinitely more often than I have. Or something.

I'd give you tips about communions and how the fact they have low paths isn't too important, but that would be helping an enemy. Anyway, your recruit-anywhere mages are still better than mine.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2012, 09:14:21 am »

But you've got MONKEYS!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2012, 09:19:08 am »

But you've got MONKEYS!
Well, I was just comparing mages. Monkeys don't make terrific mages.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2012, 09:23:09 am »

I'm not particulary good either, but I have a taste for picking nations people don't usualy pick learning to play them successfuly. I have a vague idea of how LA antlantis works, and so far its working decently, altough there's no real wars breaking out yet, but I'm definitely on the weak side when it comes to research, altough my mages are good combat casters, if certain conditions are met. I never really used communions either but I plan to try in this match.

Btw bluerobin, did you contract with those knights run out in the same turn you used them to take that province? I was sorta scared when I saw the first battle record of bogarus pubstomping the neutrals in that province with knights, then I accidentaly waltz'd in and they had gone poof :o

But you've got MONKEYS!COMMUNIST THEOCRATICAL PRIMATES!
Well, I was just comparing mages. Monkeys don't make terrific mages.

I also have a boksi in my army, but you'll never find him  8)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:24:49 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 11, 2012, 10:15:41 am »

Yeah the contract ran out the same turn, but they all died or routed in the first battle anyway.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2012, 11:18:16 am »

Atlantis is pulling ahead. He's got two armies stomping around, I'll bet. Too low dominion for an awake SC, none of the immediate research of a rainbow mage, which means he's most likely pulling an imprisoned bless/scales god. His pretender's titles suggest astral magic, so perhaps we're up against 25 gold/10 resource/2 map move heavy infantry with twist fate.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2012, 11:22:23 am »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2012, 11:30:31 am »

Hahaha, that is amazing.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2012, 11:36:35 am »

Nice to know that Bogarus will have a bit more difficulty breaking into water magic, then.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2012, 11:52:55 am »

Lol, I approve, would read again.

And yep, I'm doing a bless strategy with arssatuts, its either that or investing in ice guards early for atlantis :P
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29