Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Brain Stem project - Current stage version 1!  (Read 10633 times)

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: Brain Stem project - Current stage Testing theories
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 01:59:23 pm »

Wow lots to process this morning.

@Courtsey Arloban, this is brilliant! I may have figure out how to do what I want off this, though am having an issue with
after the use tissue templates:
      [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SYNDROME_SPINE:SPINE_TEMPLATE]
         [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SYNDROME_BLOOD]
Bolded section is giving  me this in errorlog.txt
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_standard.txt"
DWARF:Unrecognized Creature Token: TISSUE_MATERIAL

@Di, oo interesting on the declaration order, when I get to doing balance testing i'll try this out. And yea, the current upper spine solution does make creatures unskilled by head trauma - kinda of. Against blunt weapons the first hit will knock them unconscous, and the subseqent hits will usally damage the upperspine since its CONTYPE:HEAD. I haven't tested with edged weapons though, I'm hoping decaps will occur in those cases, or cutting out the throat.
Can't figure out why it would glitch on that, but looking over it again I wonder if BLOOD is a proper tissue layer for the last part to use, or if blood, pus, and vomit are just generated the moment they appear on the floor.  In the human body, blood and milk are tissues even though they're liquid.  in my meatmod I just replaced muscle tissues, and it was a previous version to boot.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 02:15:13 pm »

I've been using my own brain mod for many many months.

Basically, I've separated the brain into "outer brain" and "inner brain", and toughened up the skull + made the outer brain pretty thick. Inner brain has to be damaged to kill.

Damaging the outer brain causes heavy pain and nausea, and takes a long time to heal.

This has resulted in punches etc. not being particularly deadly, but weapons can still smash the head in by damaging the inner brain either by sheer blunt power or deep penetration (like spears). Not always though, it can take a few hits to catch the inner brain.

I replaced :BRAIN: with :INNERBRAIN:OUTERBRAIN: for every single creature in the raws by using a mass find/replace tool to do it in a single click.

My version also includes a lot more small tweaks to bone pain receptors/bleeding/all kinds of overpowered weapons (especially arrows and whips) and some other stuff.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:20:28 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 02:50:30 pm »

I just tried adding the following to dwarves with no success.

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:LIQUID:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen brain juice]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen brain juice]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:brain juice]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:brain juice]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling brain juice]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling brain juice]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:YELLOW]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:brain damage]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_CONTACT]
[CE_COUGH_BLOOD:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:5:PEAK:100:END:1000]

[TISSUE:LIQUID]
[TISSUE_NAME:brain juice:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LIQUID]
[TISSUE_MAT_STATE:LIQUID]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:50]
[TISSUE_LEAKS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

[TISSUE_LAYER_UNDER:BY_TOKEN:UB:LIQUID]

It's set to coat the inside of the upper body so that I could easy test having it inside a non-vital body part without editing the brain.

In the arena you end up with smears of it on the floor but it never seems to get on either combatant. So the liquid leaks but without getting any on anyone and giving them the syndrome. A gas should work but you'd need to use SYN_INHALED and gas delivered syndromes are a bit unreliable and are capable of infecting even the attacker.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 04:16:34 pm »

Going off the grid for a day or 2, will report back my findings over the weekend.
Thanks for all the ideas to try.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 05:52:36 pm »

If this works I will definetly consider taking it up into my mix :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Alem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 10:25:55 pm »

I love the sound of this as well, if I knew of a method to test this stuff (and actually see what i was testing for) i'd join in, I am definately interested in the final product.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 03:18:01 pm »

So far I keep ending up with brain juice on the floor, as I still haven't been able to get the brain to bleed something different. The Iron man method seemed like it might work but I don't want collateral from this.
For the moment I've tagged the Brain with [GUTS] to make brain hits cause nausea.
So I'm back to balancing brain behavior.
Once I have things working satisfactorily I'll put out the RAW files. It shouldn't need any creature.txt modifications if I do it right.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 03:35:38 pm »

That's the problem I ended up with Nihilist and it seemed strange enough to make a bug report. Even if it did work the liquid would end up both on and infecting your foe much like blood already does. What we really need is an INFECTS_SELF tag for syndromes.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 04:19:40 pm »

The game logic should work, I mean an infected rib gets pus on the rib. I'll check a secretion from an internal part an see what happens.
An [OTHERS_IMMUNE] or [SECRETES_ON_DAMAGE] would be very useful.
Thought the ability to set what [FUNCTION] does in tags would be the best.

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 07:41:36 pm »

Nihilist please follow through with this mod all the way.
I just fought my FIRST megabeast.
It was a huge cyclops, I sent 2 measly marksdwarfs to try to slow it down.
A palm bolt struck the cyclops in the head, bone through the brain insta-kill.

I'm thinking to myself.... that was AWESOME. But it was saddeningly sooo easy....
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 08:55:39 pm »

Is it wrong that my second thought upon seeing this thread (first was that this is cool) was that I should dip my weapons into the brain juices of my enemies in order to inflict brain damage upon all of my victims before their deaths.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 09:01:29 pm »

Is it wrong that my second thought upon seeing this thread (first was that this is cool) was that I should dip my weapons into the brain juices of my enemies in order to inflict brain damage upon all of my victims before their deaths.
Nah, especially as my failing here have inspired me to create a creature that defends itself by getting hit in the head. It has liquid(or gas, haven't decide, will probably do both) bags attach to the skull that splash nearby creatures with caustic fluids. I think the gas variant will be inhaled and ingested, no contact but being in the immediate vicinity or eating food contaminated with the dust should cause issues ^.^

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 03:39:06 pm »

okay, since I'm not distracted by my were/vamp/zombie mod right now pending info, I'll be wrapping this up tonight.

highlights are a 3 part brain with a work around that I hope will allow a decent range of behavior, from nausea and unconsciousness, bleeding to death and suffocation.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 03:39:52 pm »

Awesome. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 04:57:15 pm »

This is sounding awesome too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3