Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Migrant waves fixed?  (Read 2351 times)

Jemeni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrant waves fixed?
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:22:59 pm »

I like to play small fortresses and I limit the pop cap until I am ready to expand. Now I remember back in 31.25 the migration waves would come and be of any size if your pop cap was above the current pop. Now though I find that the migration waves are following the pop cap strictly. I limited myself to 20 dwarves, and on the first wave 9 dwarfs came(7+9=16). Second Wave exactly 4(16+4=20). Now I just increased my pop cap to 21 thinking that I'll get another migration wave of however many dwarfs, but I received 1 migrant and only one migrant almost instantly...

Was migration changed recently so that you never get more than your pop cap?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Migrant waves fixed?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:25:15 pm »

Was migration changed recently so that you never get more than your pop cap?

Nope. Also, it's not broken :P

Jemeni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:37:03 pm »

I thought it was. I've had forts with a population greater than my pop_cap because of a migrant wave.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:21:08 pm »

Population cap has always been a rough yardstick, not a clear order.  Treat it as such, and anticipate fluctuant populations.  Besides, if you're running a fort right you should have a high turnover/mortality rate and migrants will level out on their own.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:41 pm »

Besides, if you're running a fort right you should have a high turnover/mortality rate and migrants will level out on their own.

I read this line and it did not strike me as odd in the least.  It's absolutely true.  Gotta love this game
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:03:56 pm »

I think the thing is that children are not counted toward the population cap. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:07:27 pm »

I think the thing is that children are not counted toward the population cap.
Nah they're counted.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 06:04:28 pm »

They're counted differently.  Your pop cap is your adult cap.  Childred have a separate cap.  Either way it's very imprecise.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 06:12:45 pm »

In my latest migrant wave, I got some survivors from my previous fort.  Depressed, wounded migrants.

Awesome.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 06:16:58 pm »

In my latest migrant wave, I got some survivors from my previous fort.  Depressed, wounded migrants.

Awesome.

Those would be called refugees in normal parlance. Guess dwarves aren't winning somewhere.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 06:29:22 pm »

Haha, no.  I had embarked in a wasteland, so I was trying to farm trees in the caverns before I was ready to properly fight off Forgotten Beasts.  So yeah, things didn't go well.  I abandoned it when about half my population had been killed off, and everybody else was in a bad way.

So a bunch of those guys showed up in an early migrant wave in my current fort.  One migrant, still grieving for his family and pets, started throwing a tantrum before he even walked all the way to the fort.  Another one appeared at the edge of the map with no legs, and he just fell over and stayed there -- I hadn't made a hospital yet.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 06:31:58 pm »

I seem to recall reading somewhere(I have no idea where) that migrants/goblins may have to travel a while before they reach your fort.  IF they have to travel too far, then there may be multiple waves on their way to your fort at once.  So if I have 199 dwarfs and there are two migrant waves on the way: the first wave would put me over 200 and then the next wave would still hit because it was already on the way bumping you up more.  I don't know if this is true or not, but from what I've seen it seems to fit.  Maybe some !SCIENCE! is needed here?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 07:07:03 pm »

I dunno, I've always viewed the pop cap as slightly broken. If I set  the pop cap below the starting # of embarkers before I even gen a world....I can have anywhere from 20 to 30 dwarves before the pop cap gets respected. For what the setting says it does, it's really ambiguous. And while I'm used to that in DF, pop cap has a direct impact on my enjoyment. I simply can't enjoy myself with 15 new dwarves showing up every season, they just turn into faceless mooks to me and drive all sorts of gameplay I'm not interested in (at that point in time.)

So personally I hope/wish the pop cap does exactly what it says. When I turn invaders off, my invaders are off. There's no "maybe you'll get one or two groups of goblins but never a siege." I want that kind of surety out of all my game .ini settings.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 07:11:43 pm »

I dunno, I've always viewed the pop cap as slightly broken. If I set  the pop cap below the starting # of embarkers before I even gen a world....I can have anywhere from 20 to 30 dwarves before the pop cap gets respected. For what the setting says it does, it's really ambiguous. And while I'm used to that in DF, pop cap has a direct impact on my enjoyment. I simply can't enjoy myself with 15 new dwarves showing up every season, they just turn into faceless mooks to me and drive all sorts of gameplay I'm not interested in (at that point in time.)

So personally I hope/wish the pop cap does exactly what it says. When I turn invaders off, my invaders are off. There's no "maybe you'll get one or two groups of goblins but never a siege." I want that kind of surety out of all my game .ini settings.
If you set your pop cap to 7, you'll get 2 waves of migrants because they're hardcoded. If those migrants die (but not the original 7), you won't get more migrants.

yllamana

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 08:16:31 pm »

If you set your pop cap to 7, you'll get 2 waves of migrants because they're hardcoded. If those migrants die (but not the original 7), you won't get more migrants.
That was my experience with 31.25, and like nenjin I really dislike the migration zerg. In one fort I set the pop cap to 0 and had the first two migrant waves but no more.

I tried the same thing in 34.02 and just kept getting migrants no matter what. Usually only one or two at a time, but with so few dwarves (I murdered the first two migrant waves, so I only had the initial ones) that could just be down to the low wealth or something.
Pages: [1] 2