Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191375 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #1395 on: October 20, 2013, 07:24:06 pm »

What I heard was that the small sizes were deliberate, so that people would not try to make everything in the same city and trade with people. Something about cities supposed to be specialized.

And also if that's the case of them taking a open sand box game...and strangling it to fit a very specific type of play...which is counter productive and completely against the openness of Simcity

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: October 20, 2013, 07:34:05 pm »

there was once an SC4. There was an SC4 to rule all other SC games

Honestly, I think SimCity 4 was rather flawed. Don't get me wrong it is a pretty good game, but I saw the sheer number of features that needed to be cut back because it wouldn't work otherwise.

As well a lot of the time things felt rather dreary in SimCity 4 and in order to have a really successful city you had to make several successful cities unless you download a successful state/province/territory.

I don't think what makes SimCity 5 bad was that SC4 existed... since I'd even consider SC3 a step up. It was even a lot more educational too.

Actually I am kind of sad that the SimCity series lost its educational side.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: October 20, 2013, 07:35:03 pm »

No one wants to be educated anymore. At least not in America.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: October 20, 2013, 07:48:54 pm »

No one wants to be educated anymore. At least not in America.

Honestly I'd pay money for an ADULT educational game.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: October 20, 2013, 07:51:51 pm »

SC5 looks like an alright game for someone who was unaware about all the shit EA and Maxis pulled during launch/development/PR/the game in general. If I had no idea about all the nastiness and I had never played SC4 to give me something to compare the game to, I think I could have enjoyed it.

However, knowing what happened behind the scenes has totally ruined it for me. Like many people, I was tempted to buy it. Obviously, that never happened, but I'm more than fine with watching other people play it. I find that I can sit back and not worry about the tiny city sizes, the horrible online element and the downright stupid design of services and their interaction with the population of a city.

If I don't have to deal with the potentially rage-inducing, gameplay-breaking design, it's actually not half bad. But polished shit is still shit, regardless of how shiny you make it or how hard you try to convince people of its beauty.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: October 20, 2013, 07:52:14 pm »

I liked SC4. still play it. And heck, if you dont like how it works, theres a mod for that.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Linenoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: October 20, 2013, 10:24:31 pm »

The bottom line (imo) is that SimCity is vastly inferior in every way to previous iterations of Sim City.
That is why there is so much hate for the game. :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: October 20, 2013, 10:27:59 pm »

The bottom line (imo) is that SimCity is vastly inferior in every way to previous iterations of Sim City.

That isn't fair, It is an improvement off of the original one.

Maybe not SimCity 2000, but still.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: October 21, 2013, 02:27:07 am »

Hmm I always liked Simcity 3000 Unlimited the most but that might just be nostalgia talking, Maybe I should go play more Sim City 4
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: October 21, 2013, 03:54:13 am »

Didn't they say there will be a offline mode?
Make love not war

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1405 on: October 21, 2013, 05:04:20 am »

SC5 looks like an alright game for someone who was unaware about all the shit EA and Maxis pulled during launch/development/PR/the game in general. If I had no idea about all the nastiness and I had never played SC4 to give me something to compare the game to, I think I could have enjoyed it.

This.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1406 on: October 21, 2013, 05:54:40 am »

That isn't fair, It is an improvement off of the original one.

Maybe not SimCity 2000, but still.
As someone who didn't care for the previous iterations, I have fun with the new SimCity whereas SC4 bored me to tears. As with most things, its all down to perspective.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: October 21, 2013, 07:25:21 am »

I don't think it's inferior in every ways, it's definitely got improvements, it's just the engine being retarded and hindering all other aspects of the game.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: October 21, 2013, 11:43:13 am »

Didn't they say there will be a offline mode?
They announced they're currently looking into providing an offline alternative, yes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: October 21, 2013, 12:46:10 pm »

I don't think it's inferior in every ways, it's definitely got improvements, it's just the engine being retarded and hindering all other aspects of the game.

I didn't say it was inferior in everyway just inferior to all the previous games (excluding Societies) excluding SimCity.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 98