Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191372 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #1380 on: October 18, 2013, 09:39:58 am »

Nah, what I'm saying is that it's not a singular entity that does not like the game; it's a group of people. They all have their own reasons to dislike or even downright detest the game. Of course it has problems, so did Sim City 4. Generally their negative opinions are usually sounded when they are among others who also happen to hate the game, as a result it just ends up reinforcing their hatred and nitpicking of the game.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1381 on: October 18, 2013, 10:02:10 am »

I think what you're saying is right, Doom, except that is usually a minority attitude. As long as there's a minority that dislikes something, that minority will exist, yeah?
I don't think this is a minority, though. Maybe it's not a majority, I haven't seen the demographic, but it's not a minority. Tons and tons of people were pissed off at EA for the shit they pulled at release, tons and tons of people were upset at Maxis for turning a traditionally single-player game into an online-only, multiplayer-pushed game, scaled everything down, etc.

If a SimCity4+ is ever released, then yeah, not EVERYONE will like it, just like not everyone liked SimCity 4, but it won't be in the same position that this new SC is in.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: October 18, 2013, 12:30:04 pm »

Forsaken, I think SC5's problem is that it's SC5. That is, there was once an SC4. There was an SC4 to rule all other SC games, and SC5 feels like a downgrade, so everyone that played SC4 and played SC5 recently just wants to play SC4 (or a more updated/shiny version of SC4 like everyone really wanted SC5 to be). On top of it feeling like a downgrade in so many ways, the release was botched, the DRM is intolerable for a lot of people, and there's other miscellaneous amounts of bad blood to be grumpy over.

It's like adding insult to injury, or rather, adding injury to insult: SC5's gameplay doesn't stack up to SC4's gameplay (the insult, since its a sequel) and EA and Maxis did some pretty terrible things in the eyes of most people (the injury).
Very well said. Ib the other end, yes the game is still enjoyable but it could be much more if well... If it werent EA.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: October 18, 2013, 02:34:30 pm »

Who are we kidding, the so called 'old fans' will bicker about the so called 'Sim City 5' even if it does come out. You can't really satisfy a mob of people, they constantly spew out negative opinions which end up reinforcing their bitterness and crankiness in one way or the other.
Not necessarily true. I very nearly did pre-order... I think I genuinely wanted to like this game, but shit keeps happening. Admittedly there's been improvements, at this point I'm still curious if the price will go down or if it will show up in offline mode. Or, you know, not have unnecessarily tiny plots of land which mods have proven are indeed much smaller than most computers can actually handle.
I can agree with this. I wanted to like it. I really really wanted to like it. But I don't.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1384 on: October 18, 2013, 03:07:04 pm »

Who are we kidding, the so called 'old fans' will bicker about the so called 'Sim City 5' even if it does come out. You can't really satisfy a mob of people, they constantly spew out negative opinions which end up reinforcing their bitterness and crankiness in one way or the other.

I'm one of the 'old fans' and I was genuinely excited about SC 2013. Then I got into the Dev Alpha and just...it didn't compare at ALL to what we had told Maxis we wanted for a new SimCity or even to what SC4 was/is.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: October 18, 2013, 03:49:18 pm »

Well, they tried to tell us the game was different by removing the number. They didn't go far enough.

Should've called it Sim Mayor or something.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: October 18, 2013, 03:57:02 pm »

I kinda like that.

Although, mayors work together. This game seems to be a "Get self sufficient or it wont work".
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: October 18, 2013, 05:01:53 pm »

"Sim Town"

Because the last Sim City I played was SC2000, and I remember huge-ass maps with NPC connected cities. I understand they want individual actors doing things, and at that level of detail you might have to settle for a smaller city. And there's probably a place for a sim game between The Sims and Sim City. That's what I think SC5 turned out to be.

Early Civilization games were based on kinda the same map scale and detail, and slowly reduced how many cities you governed and kept you out of the undersea and orbital territory, and reduced the variety of special stuff. And made the wonder and tech advance videos suck - although Nemoy in Civ4 was a classy touch and I approve of any strategy game using hexes like Civ5.

But what we need is concurrent games with varying scales. I want Sim Earth, Civilization, Sim City, Sim Town, The Sims, and Sim Ant all to be out and supported and updated at the same time. I want a System Shock, Halo, Battlefield 1942, Mount & Blade, and Thief.

I do not think we need six duplicates of Halo. And we don't need every new game that comes out to be more "casual" than the last. That's just gonna make us stop buying new games - or, horror of horrors, support indie.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: October 18, 2013, 07:18:32 pm »

The whole agent system being the excuse for smaller city sizes is a bunch of rhetoric bullshit

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: October 18, 2013, 09:54:31 pm »

The whole agent system being the excuse for smaller city sizes is a bunch of rhetoric bullshit
Ehh... poorly designed system is poor, look like its kinda the new way to make games nowmake an engine that will give you headach should you want to expand on anything major and simply allow tweaks.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: October 19, 2013, 04:00:58 pm »

I pre-ordered it. I was uber excited, and I paid top dollar.

I absolutely hate it, and I've played it for 12 hours since launch. Twelve.

It came out here on 8th March 2013 - 225 days ago. That's a play time of 0.3125 minutes a day.

I detest it.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: October 20, 2013, 08:38:19 am »

I think it's designed to be a MMO of some kind. Maybe people who hate it just aren't playing it as a MMO? Maybe it just sucks at trying to be a MMO? Idk, I didn't get the game.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: October 20, 2013, 08:59:47 am »

While how someone plays it and the perspective of it matters a lot...it is not an MMO in any way..and even if you play it as one it doesn't alter or make better it's most major flaws (particularly small map sizes)

if you have played simcity 4...imagine every map being the smallest size map...and that is it. And the maps don't touch each other like simcity 4 so you cant make a big city from multiple smaller cities.

It struggles to feel like Simcity at times and usually feels like ~Sim Town~ and its extremely hard to make a good aesthetically pleasing city unless you want your population to be extremely low...as packing things in tight is the only way to make any sort of reasonably sized city

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: October 20, 2013, 09:08:00 am »

What I heard was that the small sizes were deliberate, so that people would not try to make everything in the same city and trade with people. Something about cities supposed to be specialized.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: October 20, 2013, 09:12:17 am »

There have been a thousand explanations. Point is, it completely invalidates many of the improvements they made.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 98