Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191371 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #1365 on: October 17, 2013, 04:19:47 pm »

It would be neat if they released the ability to actually run the game offline- I remain certain that it would be trivial for them to do, and it's online for DRM purposes.  Maybe they'll figure their DRM has done its job this long after release.

Maybe it's tough to unpoison a well.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: October 17, 2013, 04:43:51 pm »

It would be neat if they released the ability to actually run the game offline- I remain certain that it would be trivial for them to do, and it's online for DRM purposes.  Maybe they'll figure their DRM has done its job this long after release.

Maybe it's tough to unpoison a well.
Well, we know for certain that, sans inter-city interaction, the game runs offline if you comment out a couple lines of code. I ascertain that making your home computer do what one of their servers does in terms of saving maps and handling inter-city interactions would not be difficult, considering they apparently still have a team dedicated to making new content.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: October 17, 2013, 06:09:22 pm »

It is very simple and silly how it works since its just a city has this much crime, pollution, workers, ect, cities are essentially frozen when they aren't active and just read for its information to be used elsewhere. Guess how things are on a hard drive? ;D

regardless...I still think they built the game together with scotch tape.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: October 17, 2013, 10:20:48 pm »

It actually looks like a really good game ruined by management. I'd have bought it by now if it weren't made by EA.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: October 17, 2013, 10:53:08 pm »

The problem is the tiny maps, the shitty bugs, the crap highways and the DRM.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: October 17, 2013, 10:55:27 pm »

I like the way they used A* and completely failed to give any weight to any of the roads, so it always takes the shortest path regardless of whether or not it makes any sense whatsoever.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 17, 2013, 11:44:41 pm »

I like the way they used A* and completely failed to give any weight to any of the roads, so it always takes the shortest path regardless of whether or not it makes any sense whatsoever.
That has been fixed, you know.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: October 18, 2013, 12:14:44 am »

That has been fixed, you know.
The Car actors and Bus actors and EMS actors have all been updated. They can even take turns on red lights.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 18, 2013, 01:09:50 am »

Sounds likes its improved a lot...I have not played it since I bought it since it felt so beta like...the traffic issues should have never been issues and the patches to the traffic behavior that make it realistic now should have been in at the start...the fact they were not proves only one of two things...either it was never planned and they cut corners for development deadlines or they planned it and just thought "we will fix it after release...but we need to release it now to start making money". Both are pretty despicable.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1374 on: October 18, 2013, 05:29:39 am »

I always see people bashing this game, here and elsewhere. Am I the only one who enjoys it? I mean I can live with bugs and silly design choices (I play dwarf fortress regularly for god's sake) so they don't bug me that much. I really enjoy seeing the city I'm building slowly advance and dealing with the problems caused by that.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1375 on: October 18, 2013, 05:39:09 am »

Forsaken, I think SC5's problem is that it's SC5. That is, there was once an SC4. There was an SC4 to rule all other SC games, and SC5 feels like a downgrade, so everyone that played SC4 and played SC5 recently just wants to play SC4 (or a more updated/shiny version of SC4 like everyone really wanted SC5 to be). On top of it feeling like a downgrade in so many ways, the release was botched, the DRM is intolerable for a lot of people, and there's other miscellaneous amounts of bad blood to be grumpy over.

It's like adding insult to injury, or rather, adding injury to insult: SC5's gameplay doesn't stack up to SC4's gameplay (the insult, since its a sequel) and EA and Maxis did some pretty terrible things in the eyes of most people (the injury).
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1376 on: October 18, 2013, 06:12:12 am »

It was never intended to be SC5 though. Its not called SC5. Its no more Simcity 5 than the new star trek movies are Star Trek XI and XII.

In any case, I didn't actually like SC4 all that much so I guess its just a matter of perspective.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1377 on: October 18, 2013, 09:22:33 am »

Well, even if that's the case, fans of SC4 almost universally dislike the new SimCity game (or at least as far as I'm aware). Maybe people who didn't like SC4 like this new SC better. In any case, you're still going to have a lot of people hating on the game. All of the old fans are going to be bitter until an SC4+ game is made and likely argue with any of the new people who do like the game.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 18, 2013, 09:33:07 am »

Who are we kidding, the so called 'old fans' will bicker about the so called 'Sim City 5' even if it does come out. You can't really satisfy a mob of people, they constantly spew out negative opinions which end up reinforcing their bitterness and crankiness in one way or the other.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: October 18, 2013, 09:37:42 am »

Who are we kidding, the so called 'old fans' will bicker about the so called 'Sim City 5' even if it does come out. You can't really satisfy a mob of people, they constantly spew out negative opinions which end up reinforcing their bitterness and crankiness in one way or the other.
Not necessarily true. I very nearly did pre-order... I think I genuinely wanted to like this game, but shit keeps happening. Admittedly there's been improvements, at this point I'm still curious if the price will go down or if it will show up in offline mode. Or, you know, not have unnecessarily tiny plots of land which mods have proven are indeed much smaller than most computers can actually handle.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 98