Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191392 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #1350 on: April 09, 2013, 10:17:37 am »

And a lot of other people would disagree. Not risking an nonrefundable game.

I install SimCity 4 Deluxe in every single computer I come across. So far not a single installation has failed me.
All versions of windows, 7, XP, 32 / 64 bit, hardware-accelerated, or integrated Intel chips.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:19:16 am by Sergius »

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 09, 2013, 10:56:19 am »

I'm running Sim City 4 on Windows 8 x64 and I'm not having any issues with it.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: April 09, 2013, 11:28:56 am »

SimCity 4 periodically crashes on my laptop (Windows 7 x86) due to memory leaks.
(a truckload of mods installed all at once might be the cause of the problem, though)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:30:29 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: April 09, 2013, 12:03:43 pm »

It works perfectly on Windows 7 64-bit.
People told me that about Fallout 3.
They were wrong.
Eh? Fallout 3 does work fine on Windows 7 64-bit. Could it be your hardware? I just ran FO3 again on my win7 machine to confirm. o.o
Can't always count on that. Look at my problems with Civ 4. Sometimes, the computer gods just hate you.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 17, 2013, 12:22:27 pm »

Anyway, bit of a Necro but this is the appropriate thread.

Sim City is getting a bit cynical in it's self critique. In the next paying upgrade you get to choose between the Omega corporation, a polluting megacorp that uses drones to spread omega( a strange, limited resource) at hourly subscription ratings.

It's counter is the academy, which develops advanced technologies, all of which rely on ControlNet, a central mainframe generated by your academy. If you don't get enough workers, fusion plants and other rather critical installations shut down.

Cities of tomorrow patch.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 17, 2013, 12:25:50 pm »

...You never get enough workers in Sim City, how the hell are you supposed to sustain a city, then?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: October 17, 2013, 12:29:48 pm »

I dunno, I don't even have the game. Though, I think the Mega towers should provide additional workers.

But anyway, the way the Omega corporation is slightly suspicious
At first, Omega is supplied for free, but after a few deliveries these Industries become Omegized and start paying you hourly subscriptions

Edit: AlsoMaybe Offline mode, but certainly no bigger cities. The system can't keep up with it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:33:43 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 17, 2013, 01:05:22 pm »

Double Post'd; Clicked Quote when I tried to Edit.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:48:24 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 17, 2013, 01:11:02 pm »

Anyway, bit of a Necro but this is the appropriate thread.

Sim City is getting a bit cynical in it's self critique. In the next paying upgrade you get to choose between the Omega corporation, a polluting megacorp that uses drones to spread omega( a strange, limited resource) at hourly subscription ratings.

It's counter is the academy, which develops advanced technologies, all of which rely on ControlNet, a central mainframe generated by your academy. If you don't get enough workers, fusion plants and other rather critical installations shut down.

Cities of tomorrow patch.
Actually, the biggest thing I noticed was elevated trains.

...but still no traffic AI, apparently.

I dunno, I don't even have the game. Though, I think the Mega towers should provide additional workers.

But anyway, the way the Omega corporation is slightly suspicious
Edit: AlsoMaybe Offline mode, but certainly no bigger cities. The system can't keep up with it.
Heh. We've already established that all that runs online is stuff going between cities (since you can't do your own server), so apparently their puny servers can't handle people's increased traffic between cities? You know, I'll bet that's because they cut costs by not having many servers. I'd go so far as to bet that if you could host your own server, your home computer would handle it just fine.
Quote from: Blog
Exploration for Offline Mode is Happening

Right now we have a team specifically focused on exploring the possibility of an offline mode. I can’t make any promises on when we will have more information, but we know this is something that many of our players have been asking for. While the server connectivity issues are behind us, we would like to give our players the ability to play even if they choose not to connect. An offline mode would have the additional benefit of providing room to the modding community to experiment without interfering or breaking the multiplayer experience.
We already know you can run the game offline if you comment out a few lines of code.

Also, the same blog post DOES say they fixed traffic AI, but I'll believe it when they post clear videos that A) traffic no longer takes the shortest route possible, ignorant of other traffic and road density and B) traffic decides where it's going when it leaves, instead of all rushing towards the nearest open spot and then turning around to go to the next open spot when that gets filled.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:48:44 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 17, 2013, 01:13:07 pm »

According to their official explanation, bigger cities would crash user performance. After all intercity interactions are just a few numbers, as barely any data is kept.

Also, those videos have been posted. At least of the first instance. Here

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: October 17, 2013, 01:53:37 pm »

So...sounds like it'll still fall into the 'Not worth buying' bucket for the time being.

Which is sad. I really want a new, good, sim city game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 17, 2013, 02:18:05 pm »

According to their official explanation, bigger cities would crash user performance. After all intercity interactions are just a few numbers, as barely any data is kept.

Also, those videos have been posted. At least of the first instance. Here

Which is just a good example of a game's gimmick weakening the overall game because of the lengths they go to in order to support it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: October 17, 2013, 02:58:44 pm »

According to their official explanation, bigger cities would crash user performance.

Horseshit. They're just trying to cover up that their agent simulation is one of the worst ever given an advertising budget. Rollercoaster Tycoon could handle just as many agents on a computer older than me.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: October 17, 2013, 03:13:56 pm »

According to their official explanation, bigger cities would crash user performance.

Horseshit. They're just trying to cover up that their agent simulation is one of the worst ever given an advertising budget. Rollercoaster Tycoon could handle just as many agents on a computer older than me.
To be fair, Rollecoaster's only guests were the tourists. In Sim City, everything is an agent, and those agents also have to react to each other. (While in Rollercoaster, people just walked over each other more often than not).

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: October 17, 2013, 03:55:50 pm »

Admittedly, Rollercoaster Tycoon WOULD have been a mess if agents had to navigate around eachother. Still, you would think they'd have no problem releasing a large plot of land with the warning "will run poorly on old computers".

It would be neat if they released the ability to actually run the game offline- I remain certain that it would be trivial for them to do, and it's online for DRM purposes.  Maybe they'll figure their DRM has done its job this long after release.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 98