Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191930 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #825 on: March 09, 2013, 07:13:27 pm »

I'm having a bitch of a time with road design. Can anyone post a few images of a successful city they have created or found? I'm just looking for new ideas. I feel like I get bogged down and don't think outside the box.

All traffic takes the route that is the shortest physical distance, without regard for any other factor such as road type or congestion.  Evidence.

Really? This fucking bug crippled Sc4 to massive degrees that people needed to make a goddamn mod to fix it.
Also THIS highlights the problem so much better

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 09, 2013, 07:16:42 pm »

I'm having a bitch of a time with road design. Can anyone post a few images of a successful city they have created or found? I'm just looking for new ideas. I feel like I get bogged down and don't think outside the box.

All traffic takes the route that is the shortest physical distance, without regard for any other factor such as road type or congestion.  Evidence.

Oddly enough the general oppinion is that this game is unfinished.

D'oh! Wasn't there a mod for SC4 to fix that? They couldn't get it right again? Wow, oh well. I've read a few places that EA will allow mods on SC5. Who knows. But knowing EA's love of DLC, they may release a DLC called "Traffic Add-on" which will add a few more skins for vehicles and some 'random' traffic fixes. I love the game so far though but still just saying.
I don't think that mods would work with how the DRM is. Servers need to be consistent.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 09, 2013, 07:21:52 pm »

this design has been my only successful one, rarely jamming up. Obviously I am also using all mass trans and I suggest putting emergency services on traffic circles.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Only a simple mind can be certain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #828 on: March 09, 2013, 07:43:53 pm »

Two shots of my wife's city. She doesn't get many traffic issues.

And really your best friend to fight traffic is buses. Buses are amazing. I had a city of 25k and 17,000 of them rode the buses daily.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 09, 2013, 07:48:42 pm »

Great city Forsaken1111!

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 09, 2013, 09:45:30 pm »

My problem with the game...say an electronic's factory needs 5 units of alloy...if you have 4 trade depots in the city then each one will send 1 or 2 trucks, they will load up alloy from wherever they can, try to deliver it, only 1 of them will actually deliver it and the other 4-8 trucks will return to their garage without returning the alloys anywhere, so the resources just disappear. This literally crippled my city financially.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 09, 2013, 10:42:24 pm »

Great city Forsaken1111!

*ahem*, Forsaken's wife....

Anyway, heard that they are disabling the fastest speed for the game, and combined with the other things I've heard, I'm probably never going to buy this.

I wonder how EA's stocks are doing.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 09, 2013, 10:51:27 pm »

Great city Forsaken1111!

*ahem*, Forsaken's wife....

Anyway, heard that they are disabling the fastest speed for the game, and combined with the other things I've heard, I'm probably never going to buy this.

I wonder how EA's stocks are doing.

Well if It's like all the other SimCity games, the fastest spped basically goes as fast as the computer's processor, and if SimCity 5 uses any sort of serverside processing this could likely be the cause of issues on more powerful rigs.

Speaking of which, Im assuming SimCity 5 no longer has that "wonderful" features where the game stops processing while the camera is moving around, meaning you cant pan over your city for the sights while trying actually have it process? This was probably my biggest issue with SC4 (That and the regionwide traffic issues if your highway looped back on itself. Seems the pathfinding engine would get stuck and nobody would ever reach anywhere because they'd ride the highway in one big circle. Pretty sure it was fixed in Rush Hour)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 09, 2013, 11:03:25 pm »

Yes but think how much longer you are going to have to wait. Every city building game I have played I needed to use the highest speed quite a bit. How many more boring hours is this going to add to people's playtime?

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 09, 2013, 11:07:24 pm »

Yes but think how much longer you are going to have to wait. Every city building game I have played I needed to use the highest speed quite a bit. How many more boring hours is this going to add to people's playtime?

Im not saying it's right or wrong, I'm merely pointing out the technical reason for this.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 09, 2013, 11:21:36 pm »

There are 3 or 4 people in this thread that bash the game and none of them own it. Such a polarizing game.

Even with all of the issues with launch, I don't regret the purchase. I am certain I will burn out on the game soon, and take a break, but it's been great to me and the dozen others here who have bought and played it.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 09, 2013, 11:43:38 pm »

Actually thinking of getting this once I get my refund in a few days, unless someone is willing to gift it to me for a later favor :P. But seriously, I like what I've seen of this (DRM notwithstanding) Sad thing is despite all its complexity, once you figure out SC4, it basically becomes trivial to build massive megatopolisis.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 10, 2013, 02:06:05 am »

Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #838 on: March 10, 2013, 02:16:08 am »

I'm trying to poke around in my own private region, but I'm confused as to how a trade town might work.

For example, I have an oil town and a raw materials town. Neither of them has a trade depot. I made another town and put down a trade depot there in the hopes that the raw materials will get shipped in. Am I missing the point of how trade depots work? I want all raw materials to be brought in to this town to be exported down the road by port, if possible. Just poking around at ideas.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 10, 2013, 02:41:06 am »

You need trade depots with the appropriate expansions in your towns which supply materials. Otherwise, the trade depot in your other town hasn't got anywhere to take stuff from.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 98