Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191858 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #795 on: March 09, 2013, 11:45:33 am »

I just bought SimCity. I'm going to learn how to play a little before starting a city on a Bay 12 server and ruin everything for everyone. My username is pilgrimboy.

Plus, I have this desire to be hated by many gamers.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 09, 2013, 11:55:43 am »

I just bought SimCity. I'm going to learn how to play a little before starting a city on a Bay 12 server and ruin everything for everyone. My username is pilgrimboy.

+1

Picked it up with my girlfriend so we will be playing around a bit before joining anything

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 09, 2013, 11:57:21 am »

DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE URBAN PLANNING INVOLVED IN THE TRAFFIC OF YOUR CITY

That is pretty much the destroyer of the vast majority of cities in play right now. That said,

Don't expand your density too fast; remember that you can either make a large amount of residential early on and then upgrade the density of only a very small portion of it, or make a small portion of residential early on and then just upgrade the density of that. Either way, you need to control the amount of people coming into your city carefully, because treating it flippantly will quickly lead to a spiral of disaster culminating in your city basically becoming the setting for Escape from New York.

Also, as I've previously mentioned, there seems to be a bug(?) currently where only about 10% of your population are workers at higher populations; plan your industry and commercial in relation to that so as to not face a worker shortage loop.

-Edit: don't be afraid to just try a few cities and fail catastrophically. They'll give you far more understandable-in-practice advice than people like me sure could. If you're playing with multiple people (I am) just talk it out with the others and work out with eachother that you might have to do a few practice regions together before you really settle into a region where things go 'right'.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:04:11 pm by Vel »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 09, 2013, 12:03:52 pm »

Hm. I'm thinking to mayby buy a Sim City. Wich one should I buy?

SimCity 4 (and the expansion), if you're looking for the most advanced incarnation.

It's on Steam for a tenner.  You can put the following as a launch option to set the resolution to whatever you want.

Code: [Select]
-CustomResolution:enabled -r1680x1050x32 -f -intro:off
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 09, 2013, 12:24:48 pm »

Dang, Sim City 2000 doesn't work on windows 7... even once you manually install it, it crashes when you try to save. Oh well. Time to try 3000.
SimCity 2000 for Windows 3.1 works perfectly on Windows 7 (x86).
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #800 on: March 09, 2013, 12:49:06 pm »

Yeah, I have 64 bit. It's a known issue, I guess I'll switch to 4.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 09, 2013, 01:17:48 pm »

Well, I've been playing "trying to claim a city" game for a half hour. It's okay because I knew what I was getting into. Looks very fun.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 09, 2013, 01:19:00 pm »

Looks like EA is giving everybody who bought SimCity a free game of their choice on March 18th.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/a-simcity-update-and-something-for-your-trouble

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 09, 2013, 01:22:29 pm »

Looks like EA is giving everybody who bought SimCity a free game of their choice on March 18th.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/a-simcity-update-and-something-for-your-trouble

"We're sorry our game sucks. Here, have another sucky game we made. If you complain we'll ban your account completely and you can't play any of our sucky games you've already bought."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 09, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »

Here's something a little interesting:

http://www.ea.com/news/a-simcity-update-and-something-for-your-trouble

I originally found the article on USA Today, but then found it on something a little more promising I guess you could say. We'll have to wait though.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 09, 2013, 01:33:52 pm »

"We're sorry our game sucks. Here, have another sucky game we made. If you complain we'll ban your account completely and you can't play any of our sucky games you've already bought."

Nah game doesn't suck...servers suck and they force always online

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 09, 2013, 01:39:45 pm »

Found out why larger population cities often have neverending issues with 'nowhere to ship out freight', 'need more workers', and 'not enough shoppers'.

Only about 10% of the population are workers when it should be more like 30%-40%. The game certainly seems to think so since having a medium-small industrial district provides about 35,000 jobs. But since 100,000 people provide only 10,000 workers, the industries constantly fail have to hire enough people, and the 90,000 people who are relying on 10,000 people for their income constantly have no money to shop. Ergo, commercial buildings constantly fail to meet their sales needs, and don't purchase freight from the industry, thus compounding industry's problems even more.

Have you been building trade depots? They really seem to help with the freight problem.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 09, 2013, 01:41:56 pm »

How are the servers today? Is it safe to buy this yet?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 09, 2013, 01:46:08 pm »

A lot of Sims seem to be enjoying the 2+ hours long commute time in my city...
Except for the poor plebs in the SE corner who has to travel across the whole city to reach the dirty industries in the NW corner. Centralization seemed to be such a good idea at the time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:54:32 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #809 on: March 09, 2013, 01:46:35 pm »

How are the servers today? Is it safe to buy this yet?
I was able to get in without any problem.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 98