Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191946 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #735 on: March 08, 2013, 12:48:03 pm »

Are you able to kick people out of your region?

It would make sense if someone, for example, included a absolutely destructive city and abandoned it to spread pain and misery to the surrounding areas.

Mind you I never understood why you cannot just cut your city off from others.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 08, 2013, 12:50:18 pm »

Note to self. Never play a sim city game with Neo. xD
You can cut off the road connection to outer city, but that results in a massive catastrophe
Unless you plan on letting Bane loose in your city, you generally shouldn't do that.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 08, 2013, 12:56:23 pm »

People are so naive to expect servers to work on launch day. "WHY THE FUCK DON'T SERVERS WORK, EA SUXS. I WANT A REFUND!!!1!!one!" Well if your so smart why don't you fix it? Why don't you show them how to make servers that big under so much pressure work perfectly! Honestly, fuck off server whiners. Its not a good thing that there servers don't work, Just saying, if you were expecting flawless, go somewhere else.

Telling people that if they're upset then they should fix it themselves is just silly. It's EA's responsibility to ensure things run smoothly. If you buy a product you have every right to be upset if it doesn't work. If you don't complain, if you don't make a fuss, then you're pretty much telling the company that it's perfectly okay to deliver you sub standard products.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 08, 2013, 01:13:10 pm »

People are so naive to expect servers to work on launch day. "WHY THE FUCK DON'T SERVERS WORK, EA SUXS. I WANT A REFUND!!!1!!one!" Well if your so smart why don't you fix it? Why don't you show them how to make servers that big under so much pressure work perfectly! Honestly, fuck off server whiners. Its not a good thing that there servers don't work, Just saying, if you were expecting flawless, go somewhere else.

Telling people that if they're upset then they should fix it themselves is just silly. It's EA's responsibility to ensure things run smoothly. If you buy a product you have every right to be upset if it doesn't work. If you don't complain, if you don't make a fuss, then you're pretty much telling the company that it's perfectly okay to deliver you sub standard products.

I'm not saying its a good thing that the servers are down, just that you are reallllllly stupid to expect the servers to work fine on launch day.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 08, 2013, 01:25:20 pm »

I actually think we're really stupid to not expect (and continue to not expect) servers to work fine on launch day. This isn't a new experiment any more.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 08, 2013, 01:44:33 pm »

As well they had a very good idea how many people were connecting to their servers weeks in advance.

Once again the reason servers arn't working right now wasn't because they couldn't have had it working day 1... it is that it is more expencive to have a day 1 server up and running, then having a day 2 or 3 servers working.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 08, 2013, 01:56:39 pm »

What I don't get is the whole, you fucked your city on accident, deal with it "approach" they set up. Why can't I just delete it? Why am I ACTIVELY penalized for not playing perfectly on the first go-through?

I went into a shit spiral (literal) in which my sewage was amassed to amounts unheard of and nobody else's cities could deal with it, fine, I'll just plop down a sewage, wait, I ran out of money, whoops let's pull up the taxes, everyone leaves, game FORCE PAUSES on me every three seconds, fine I throw my shit down and bust up my city because I bought the game and would like to be able to cause wonton destruction PRIOR to reseting it, only to discover that, lo and behold, I CAN'T reset it.

I am now stuck with a shit filled city on a server with my friends, hurray. It's really ridiculous. Sure I can abandon and leave it, but why can't I just reset THAT plot of land?
Poysky Productions

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 08, 2013, 01:58:12 pm »

No I agree with you and sometimes I think that the effect of one terrible city is too much on a server from the stories I am told.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 08, 2013, 02:00:56 pm »

As well they had a very good idea how many people were connecting to their servers weeks in advance.

Once again the reason servers arn't working right now wasn't because they couldn't have had it working day 1... it is that it is more expencive to have a day 1 server up and running, then having a day 2 or 3 servers working.

Online server launch days are a well trodden path. The first MMOG was released over 30 years ago. Everquest 2 and WoW are almost 10 years old now. Pay-to-win MMO's have been around for some years since then. This is not new territory. It is also not the biggest of this particular game's shortcomings.

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 08, 2013, 02:08:07 pm »

I agree, this may be simcity, but some of the mechanics have changed. We should be able to delete the whole city and start over. We learn from testing. Abandoning a city or region just leaves all that data on the server using space. As more people abandon areas that's more space needed to add the new area. There is at least one cluster*$cked region thanks to the fact that one city was messed up due to player error. I am not pointing fingers, but it's the point of no one is perfect. (Nevermind the players that will deliberately screw up a region.) This is why I play private regions and invite others I know.  We should be able to at least delete a region. If it's a shared region, make it a shared delete. One person requests the delete and if everyone else wants to they hit delete and boom goes the region. (exceptions can be made with a login timer, like say someone who hasn't logged into the region losses say after about 2 weeks maybe. Then everyone moves on. This frees up space on the servers so it doesn't cost as much to expand storage capacity. Why should we be punished for a messed up city or even region?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 08, 2013, 02:12:56 pm »

Heck it is leading to people making servers and making sure everyone who plays is essentially a master of the game because of how terrible ONE bad city can be to the entire region. Some servers have even become entirely abandoned because multiple bad cities essentially starts the apocolips.

It has issues is all I mean.

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 08, 2013, 02:20:52 pm »

Heck it is leading to people making servers and making sure everyone who plays is essentially a master of the game because of how terrible ONE bad city can be to the entire region. Some servers have even become entirely abandoned because multiple bad cities essentially starts the apocolips.

It has issues is all I mean.

Yeah, ultimately a delete button is needed. Even if you gotta explain to your friends why, I'd do it. If your all playing on it and know what's going on then yeah I'm sure everyone would understand.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 08, 2013, 02:35:38 pm »

Either that or a Quarentine :P

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
« Reply #748 on: March 08, 2013, 02:40:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know if they would even want to delete your data. Nowadays when information is everything, I'm sure they'd love to see the relationship between strategies and outcomes. Think of all the information they could extract out of your saves, win or fail.
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 08, 2013, 02:41:16 pm »

Anymore room on the bay12 server?...I am like...an inch away from buying the game
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 98