Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191941 times)

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #720 on: March 08, 2013, 11:16:36 am »

Personally the only games I've seen bought used were console games. Used pc games don't really sell around here. Just console games. I've bought many used xbox 360 games. (Which is why if microsoft does away with the used games on the new xbox I won't be buying it.) But that's for another forum.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 08, 2013, 11:31:13 am »

I wonder if the expense of servers and staff to maintain them is worth the piracy prevented by having always on DRM. Not to mention all the bad pr this debacle has caused.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 08, 2013, 11:32:15 am »

People are so naive to expect servers to work on launch day. "WHY THE FUCK DON'T SERVERS WORK, EA SUXS. I WANT A REFUND!!!1!!one!" Well if your so smart why don't you fix it? Why don't you show them how to make servers that big under so much pressure work perfectly! Honestly, fuck off server whiners. Its not a good thing that there servers don't work, Just saying, if you were expecting flawless, go somewhere else.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 08, 2013, 11:38:33 am »

Except there's no need for the servers in the first place. server side simulation is just a thinly veiled excuse for this DRM.

This isn't an MMO.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 08, 2013, 11:39:04 am »

The amount of servers between the launch day and today increased by 100% or more. Whether EA is a horrific company or not, they know that this is tied to their best interests, i.e. money. If they don't fix this shit they lose money, and they are very much aware of that.

Based on the evidences around I am very sure a vast majority of their workforces is devoted to fixing this problem / acquiring more servers. Give SimCity 5 a week or two and the server issues will be resolved. Mostly.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 08, 2013, 11:40:31 am »

Except there's no need for the servers in the first place. server side simulation is just a thinly veiled excuse for this DRM.

This isn't an MMO.

It actually plays a lot like an MMO though, the entire economy is based on infrastructure of goods and taxes, so a vast portion of the game is actually reliant on DRM, which is somewhat understandable. They probably didn't want you to just, play singleplayer and buy alloy when it's expensive on multiplayer and sell those alloys back on multiplayer or something like that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 08, 2013, 11:40:50 am »

Not to mention that EA knew EXACTLY how many people were getting Simcity 5 as well because a lot of them are preorders.

If they don't fix this shit they lose money, and they are very much aware of that.

I believe you are drastically incorrect. If they don't fix this they will lose absolutely no money because gamers have the impulse control and the memory of a newborn child.

They probably didn't want you to just, play singleplayer and buy alloy when it's expensive on multiplayer and sell those alloys back on multiplayer or something like that

Then don't allow people to do that. BOOM! fixed.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 08, 2013, 11:41:46 am »

Not to mention that EA knew EXACTLY how many people were getting Simcity 5 as well because a lot of them are preorders.

If they don't fix this shit they lose money, and they are very much aware of that.

I believe you are drastically incorrect. If they don't fix this they will lose absolutely no money because gamers have the impulse control and the memory of a newborn child.

Oh yeah, because EA does not have marketing division.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 08, 2013, 11:44:41 am »

Oh yeah, because EA does not have marketing division

You kidding? EA is practically run by their marketing department and it is really starting to affect their games.

It was likely their financial department that said "Don't put up those extra servers, that will cost us more money" and the marketing department went "Well it isn't like we are going to lose money for this. We will just send out halfhearted condolences to appease the fanbase. They are too stupid to actually not buy our game because it doesn't work"

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 08, 2013, 11:46:48 am »

"Oh shit! My sarcasm detector is off the charts!"
"A sarcasm detector? Now there's an useful invention."
*Sarcasm detector explodes*

Derailing aside, they are adding more servers, and it's a fact.
What is also a fact is that
IF THE SERVER SAYS AVAILABLE WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I JOIN IT
Seriously.
EA.
If you are adding more servers, at least make them work first before piling new stack of shits above it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 08, 2013, 11:49:57 am »

No sarcasm it is one of the things I am genuinly angry about videogamers as a whole. They don't make bad companies own up to their mistakes so long as their games are "good".

They are also apperantly turning off superfluous downloads from the servers. Which makes me VERY interested to know what that was (My guess is spyware)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 08, 2013, 11:51:45 am »

The biggest issue I have about gamers (myself included) is that they pre-order almost anything.
I mean, anything.

People start pre ordering shit like War Z and that's where the poor consumerism encourages generally poor atitudes of companies.
I also happen to belong to one of those pre ordering scumbags.
I shall now go hang myself.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 08, 2013, 12:44:07 pm »

DoomOnion,
I sent both of your cities substantial financial aid, as well as providing emergency services. I have also started building an International Airport so you can get tourists and shoppers. If the leaderboards come back up anytime we should be in the top 5%.  8)
Only a simple mind can be certain.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 08, 2013, 12:45:48 pm »

Yaaay! I'll get back to it some time later today.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 08, 2013, 12:47:19 pm »

Also, if you can't get in, two things that consistently work for me are closing the client and deleting your userdata folder in the game files.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 98