Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191890 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #690 on: March 07, 2013, 04:07:04 pm »

It's not the  disasters you should be afriad of.
Fire, disease and crime, those are the city killers.
You can't possibly cover all three with one city, that's why you need huge facilities in two or more specialized cities.

I've seen many metropolitan entities with 150,000+ population crumble to dust because of those three.

Edit: My current trade / tourist specialized (Yay! New york city!) NewOnions is nearly about to kick the bucket for good because of these problems.
Crime is getting out of control, and I am in heavy debt. The more I try to fix a problem the deeper I get fucked.
I am trying to save it by sending extra workforce from a nearby town 'OnionVille', but resistance is futile, it seems.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:12:32 pm by DoomOnion »

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 07, 2013, 04:11:13 pm »

Wow all the servers are Busy or Full! Either it got slammed or they are doing something MAJOR!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 07, 2013, 04:43:22 pm »

It's not the  disasters you should be afriad of.
Fire, disease and crime, those are the city killers.
You can't possibly cover all three with one city, that's why you need huge facilities in two or more specialized cities.

I've seen many metropolitan entities with 150,000+ population crumble to dust because of those three.

Edit: My current trade / tourist specialized (Yay! New york city!) NewOnions is nearly about to kick the bucket for good because of these problems.
Crime is getting out of control, and I am in heavy debt. The more I try to fix a problem the deeper I get fucked.
I am trying to save it by sending extra workforce from a nearby town 'OnionVille', but resistance is futile, it seems.

I will try to help you out with extra emergency service if I can log on. I am already -30k per hour, but I make 1.5 million a day in trade, so I have a little surplus. As you know, being industry heavy, I really need water!

This seems to be the most updated thread about the server status and maintenance. At least they are trying http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9337881.page#27456857
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:51:16 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 07, 2013, 04:56:35 pm »

I kinda really want this game though my biggest fear is it won't work for me.

Which sounds irrational but remember I played The Sims 3 and was so addicted I bought every expansion... every single buggy expansion.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #694 on: March 07, 2013, 04:57:22 pm »

I kinda really want this game though my biggest fear is it won't work for me.

Which sounds irrational but remember I played The Sims 3 and was so addicted I bought every expansion... every single buggy expansion.
If you're worried, hold off on buying until the server troubles are fixed and its smooth.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 07, 2013, 05:04:18 pm »

If you want things to go wrong, I just hope your expectations for 'things going wrong' are very high, because while the first hour or two are likely to be idyllic and lull you into a sense of 'jeez, this game got so simple and casual', your design decisions from the first few minutes are likely to come back and spiral you into armaggeddon with a plethora of issues. I don't want to make too many broad statements about this particular version of sim city because of the high tensions floating around about it, but I will say that it isn't as easy as it seems. You'll notice that around the time you have your first city hit 120k citizens without any initial urban planning.

Edit -- if you really want an example: mass transit. Because traffic is handled in real time, you can't simply go 'well, my city is utterly gridlocked, guess I'll plop down some busses.' You need to get the mass transit system in place reasonably early, because it adheres to the same traffic issues as everything else. If everything is gridlocked already, your busses will be stuck in traffic for so long each day that commuters will simply get fed up with waiting for the bus (~70-80 minute wait times seem to be about the most they'll put up with, with 60 minutes being the norm for heavily taxed bus systems and 30 minutes being the optimal wait time vs bus upkeep) and hop into their cars, thus adding back into the traffic problems that prevent your busses from getting where they need to go swiftly. Planning ahead is the name of the game, not reacting to issues as they come.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:12:04 pm by Vel »

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 07, 2013, 05:16:11 pm »

i kind of think it is more on the "easy" side of things...
the biggest problem new people seem to have is:
-they see full streets
-they upgrade streets to high density
-they get as result high density buildings
-population gets out of control
-town needs tons more services (power/water/garbage/sewers/etc)
-PANIK
-no real clue what to do and how to fix the problem then.

even disasters dont seem to be realy ... "disastrous"... compared to previous sim city games where i.e. 1 earthquake messes up the WHOLE map with destroyed buildings/roads/pipes/powerwireing/and tons of fires...
it seems it is more a game in balanceing the income with high population needs caused by high density roads/no space for everything you want to build, then disasters destroying the whole town... actually it seems to be rather hard to actually "ruin" the whole town in "normal" gameplay... even when you demolish all services it seems to take ages till it goes more or less "bad".

but thats just from watching some peoples stream gameplay... not playing myself.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 07, 2013, 05:20:11 pm »

Balancing things out is more difficult now. All 3 of RCI are interconnected now; R requires C and I as always, but now I requires C (because I's tracked output ('freight') needs to be exported to C), which means R requires I for money to spend on C and I requires C to have money to hire R. Having too much or too little of any of the 3 is highly problematic.

Edit - Which is to say, you can't simply rely on R as a pure baseline to balance out C and I anymore. C and I have to be balanced against each other as well now. Industry doesn't simply create magical jobs from nowhere that provide money to produce magical Commercial demands from magically produced money.

Previously I created money for R which created demand for C, and that was pretty much it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:23:55 pm by Vel »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 07, 2013, 06:01:33 pm »

Disasters are only bad when they coincide with other problems. Having your fire station destroyed by an earthquake while your city was already fighting a dozen fires, for example.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

draconisokami8504

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 07, 2013, 06:19:39 pm »

Can someone invite me to the new Region? I finally managed to get on!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 07, 2013, 06:38:38 pm »

This almost makes me want to reinstall OpenTTD or something.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 08, 2013, 03:52:59 am »

It's really not a single player game; it's a multiplayer game you can play solo. It's pretty much like an MMO in terms of implementation -- you can play it solo, but it's designed with multiplayer in mind and there are certain things that are extremely difficult or impossible without multiple people (for example, the Great Works require a tremendous amount of materials, far more than any single city could ever produce and a single player playing multiple cities would likely have significant difficulties doing it either)

Why would a single player with multiple cities have a harder time than multiple players in the same region? The city number is limited per region not per player right?
For that matter is there anything that requires multiple people (so actually impossible for single players)?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 08, 2013, 04:33:23 am »

I wondered how many of the petitioners bought the game. I guess EA will laugh all the way to the bank at this petition.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 98