Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191673 times)

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #435 on: March 05, 2013, 12:44:01 pm »

Pros:
1. Unlike all the previous titles, specialization actually works. You have to build industrial towns, trade hubs, tourist traps and all, and they are designed to work together in a broader scale. I enjoyed building up the region with specific specialized cities.
2. This game is NOT easy, and it is not dumbed down at all. All they did was bring all the numeric spreadsheets into intuitive visual data maps, and it's working like a charm. A good portion of my playtime was spent in actual designing of the city, not staring at 6 digit numbers and trying to figure out what to do.
3. Multiplayer was gorgeous (if you are playing with the right people). I don't recommend playing with random people, but try to get some friends to play with you.

These pro's sound great. I'm watching ducain23's YouTube video from his Livestream. It looks great. And multiplayer does sound very cool! I'm excited, I want to get it now!
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 05, 2013, 01:10:47 pm »

I still have the original SC and SC2000 boxed copies on my shelf, i wanted this game. But then i saw "EA" against it and so will not, pure scum they are and will never get any of my money. Cities is not a bad game and i know it'll not be spying on my machine and sending info back to satan ;p
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 05, 2013, 01:27:53 pm »

What, this game is like diablo 3 or any MMO out there? Older sims did not need internet connection to be played.
Sadly its the new market trend my friend.... Even single player will require always on internet very soon. its already in motion.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 05, 2013, 01:30:37 pm »

What, this game is like diablo 3 or any MMO out there? Older sims did not need internet connection to be played.
Sadly its the new market trend my friend.... Even single player will require always on internet very soon. its already in motion.
Actually, there've been motions in the EU parliament and others that would make such a think illegal. Hope they'll hurry up with those, though I'm afraid not.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 05, 2013, 01:43:02 pm »

The issue for always online single-player is that sometimes, and I admit they are few and far between, I like to take my laptop with me to somewhere that doesn't have an internet connection. On holiday, for instance, or to university...

Suddenly, games that I have paid for no longer work. It just seems like a very controlling method and is certainly against quite a number of domestic and European Acts.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 05, 2013, 01:46:38 pm »

Just found out my preorder wont be shipped until the 8th.. The costs of saving $20  :-\

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 05, 2013, 01:47:36 pm »

AGH. My game is still not unlocked! I shouldn't have pre-ordered, but I've had of people having trouble with physical copies too. I hate EA (specifically Origin) soooooo much. This is the second time I've had my account bungled. The first time it was because I used my credit card to buy a game in a different country. Why can Steam run a much better online store? I've had zero issues with Steam and NOTHING but problems with Origin.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 05, 2013, 01:52:22 pm »

AGH. My game is still not unlocked! I shouldn't have pre-ordered, but I've had of people having trouble with physical copies too. I hate EA (specifically Origin) soooooo much. This is the second time I've had my account bungled. The first time it was because I used my credit card to buy a game in a different country. Why can Steam run a much better online store? I've had zero issues with Steam and NOTHING but problems with Origin.

Not to defend Origin or EA, but steam has been around since, what, 2005? They were hardly a pristine service back then, there's a lot to be learned through experience only, as with anything else. That being said, I've had nothing but luck with their customer supports online chat feature, though it may be busy with it being release day and all.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #443 on: March 05, 2013, 02:22:01 pm »

Gotta say I've had no problems. Woke up around 3am (I usually d0, this was special "oh boy simcity!' wake up time), downloaded a small patch from Beta3 to release, game loaded up and played without any issue. I never saw any of these server queues or anything.

Currently my one city is importing alloy and plastic (and recovering them from recycling) and stamping out processors. Its also sucking oil out of the ground and selling it because why not. I just finished a massive urban renewal project to destroy all my old 'organically placed' roads from the beginning with neater roads.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 05, 2013, 02:25:08 pm »

Glad to hear good things about this. I'm waiting a few more days to avoid being burned from early adoption entusiasim (I'm looking at you Impire), but good to hear lots of balanced takes on the game.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 05, 2013, 02:31:31 pm »

Glad to hear good things about this. I'm waiting a few more days to avoid being burned from early adoption entusiasim (I'm looking at you Impire), but good to hear lots of balanced takes on the game.
I'll wait till we get the reviews in on metacritic. Current rating is 91, and user rating 4. With 8 minor reviewers and 240 voters, this obviously not stable, so I'll wait for RPS, PC gamer and other major reviewers.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 05, 2013, 02:37:48 pm »

Is it true that SimCity 2013 doesn't have a save/load function?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 05, 2013, 02:44:31 pm »

There isn't a save/load function, no. Everything is saved to the server, so if you screw up you have to fix it manually.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 05, 2013, 02:47:55 pm »

I'll wait till we get the reviews in on metacritic. Current rating is 91, and user rating 4. With 8 minor reviewers and 240 voters, this obviously not stable, so I'll wait for RPS, PC gamer and other major reviewers.

Honestly, I put so little faith in metacritic. Every reviewer has a different scoring critera, and it's so arbitrary (one reason I love RPS is because they refuse to stick arbitrary numbers on games), and as for the player votes, well, most people participate in polls etc. if they feel very strongly about a topic, so it's either "omg this game is sooo amazing" or "grrr, I dislike origin so the game gets nothing" or "I hate/love city builders therefore this is a good/bad game".
The best recomendation is to read mutliple reviews, and talk to lots of people.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 05, 2013, 02:54:10 pm »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/05/gamers-line-up-to-play-simcity/
http://kotaku.com/5988286/?post=57955552

So, half hour queue to play the game. Sounds like Fun.

Sounds like they took the worst of online singleplayer... and then made it even worse.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 98