Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191644 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #315 on: February 07, 2013, 09:48:13 am »

He claims that the games are similar in the fact that the previous installments were very moddable. Something that seems to lack from the current ones in order to increase the amount of money the developer can make off of DLC's.

And that modding was later enabled (something which is also claimed to happen with SC) but was also severely limited in it's options.

And yes you can replicate all the factions and leaders with the modding tools. But you didn't have those on release, so you were stuck without them, not know when or if they will be added. So his claim is spot on as far as the strategy adopting part is concerned.

Well, I have a class to attend to very shortly, so I will keep this rather short.
He opened his series of comments with
Simcity Societies 2 would be a cute name for it. And as a long term fan of the franchise I sincerely hope it flops as badly as societies.

Which I understood as:
I do not like this game nor sim city societies (with good reasons.), so I hope this game fails.

...and I personally found it mean spirited and no logic behind it whatsover.

Then he moved on to nit picking the game's moddability at launch.
Does being unmoddable for a short while really mean game being not strategic? Is that his argument then?

I mean, his basis for the argument is already debunked.

Devs hamper modding to make more money -> Civ 5 is a good example -> But you can replicate every dlcs with the modding tool ->
As far as I know, there wasn't a whole lot of dlcs for civ 5 before the modding tool release, just the babylon and several map packs. ->
Which invalidates the qualification for being an example to support his arguement on civ 5's case.

I don't even know why I am wasting my time like this.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 07, 2013, 10:47:26 am »

No simcity thus far has had modding tools released at launch.

I'm not aware of any modding tools for 1 or 2000, but 3000 had very limited modding tools, while 4 had much more powerful ones, that got furthered even more by third party tools.

I have no reason to believe yet that SC5 will break this trend.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 07, 2013, 10:51:48 am »

Yeah, I think the multiplayer aspects are actually something to look forward to. I've recently started playing dropbox simcity 4 (http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11945.0) with some friends and it's actually really fun

Holy jesus this is cool! Dammit that I just heard of it now. Do you know if there are still SC4MP-games running between strangers? (Non of my friends are interested in SC$.)

Whoa... putting the save folder in a DropBox? So anyone can do that and have their own "private server"? That's pretty damn cool.

Small regions in 4??? That was the game with the largest regions by a longshot.

Sorry. I used the word region when I meant city. In 3000, the playable area was much larger than 4. In 4 they introduced regions thinking that was what we wanted (or more to probably limit the size of the cities), but it disappointed me. I didn't like regions. I liked cities. But again, remember that my experience was from release date to about four months later. A lot of things could have changed since then, but I remember the cities were nothing in size compared to 3000. And now they are doing that again, the cities in the new one will be nothing in size to 4.

Simcity 2000: City size: 128 x 128 tiles
Simcity 3000: Maximum city size: 256 x 256 tiles
SimCity 4: Large city: 256 x 256 tiles.

This was at release day, without any patch or update.

Well, color me misinformed. I think I'm going to give it another whirl then.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 07, 2013, 10:56:43 am »

What mods are the best if I'm going to get SimCity 4? Is there like a giant one-stop mod pack?
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 07, 2013, 11:01:53 am »

Network addon mod would be the main one.

After that, not sure. I'm usually satisfied with that.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 07, 2013, 11:16:21 am »

No simcity thus far has had modding tools released at launch.

I'm not aware of any modding tools for 1 or 2000, but 3000 had very limited modding tools, while 4 had much more powerful ones, that got furthered even more by third party tools.

I have no reason to believe yet that SC5 will break this trend.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Customization – Maxis has indicated that the game will support modding, but will not do so at launch like previous versions

Also, while I was apparently misinformed about modding, I do feel the need to note that you won't be able to make serious changes by modding. That or a modded game will be cut off from the network. (Doubt they're going to do the latter, because that's just indicating that the online only is just there for DRM).

After all, a modded game where you can change any of the games basic mechanics could have a disastrous impact on the ingame economy. (AFAIK, sandbox games are still locked into the economy, but just don't appear on scoreboard and can't do achievments.) So anything more than reskins is doubtfull to happen.

Edit: As for city size, this might be caused by the fact that there new glassbox engine can't support more than a few thousand agents.

EDIT 2: The main problem I got with the game is that 2023, we won't be able to return to this game. It runs on EA's servers, and I doubt they'll keep those in the air as the game's popularity drops over time.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:22:37 am by 10ebbor10 »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 07, 2013, 11:50:30 am »

Well they can always patch it out eventually like Ubi did with some of their titles, or heck you can just crack it and play whenever you like.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 07, 2013, 11:56:32 am »

Well they can always patch it out eventually like Ubi did with some of their titles, or heck you can just crack it and play whenever you like.
This is EA though. They are more known for shutting off older games to force people to play new ones.

There's also the ethicality and practicality of cracking a game.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 07, 2013, 11:59:51 am »

There's also the ethicality of cracking a game.

Fixed that for you, because, as we all know, the game is going to be pirated shortly thereafter the release nonetheless.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 07, 2013, 12:01:44 pm »

Fixed that for you, because, as we all know, the game is going to be pirated shortly thereafter the release...
I meant practically in the sense of possible loss of features. Also, I wouldn't be suprised if EA one day snuck a small virus into their game, that gives them the IP and location of Pirates. Then mass sued them. It happened before.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 07, 2013, 12:02:16 pm »

Fixed that for you, because, as we all know, the game is going to be pirated shortly thereafter the release...
I meant practically in the sense of possible loss of features. Also, I wouldn't be suprised if EA one day snuck a small virus into their game, that gives them the IP and location of Pirates. Then mass sued them. It happened before.

Oops, my bad.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 07, 2013, 12:06:58 pm »

Is it ethically wrong for you to pirate the game you paid for in order to play it?

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 07, 2013, 12:14:28 pm »

Is it ethically wrong for you to pirate the game you paid for in order to play it?

Yes. Your filthy pirating is costing the game industry millions billions trillions of dollars every year month second and is totally illegal so think of that before you take money away from hardworking developers like Ubisoft who work hard to give you the best game ever made ever without even thinking about money you filthy pirate!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 07, 2013, 12:52:49 pm »

Yes. Your filthy pirating is costing the game industry millions billions trillions of dollars every year month second and is totally illegal so think of that before you take money away from hardworking developers like Ubisoft who work hard to give you the best game ever made ever without even thinking about money you filthy pirate!
On a more realistic/ less sarcastic note:
According to the EULA, you're only sold the right to use the software, not the software itself. Hence, if the software no longer works because EA shut it down, you're still wrong for pirating it. Do note that this has never stood up in court, and EA probably isn't going to try, because these EULA's are questionably legal.*

*Actually, most are illegal since they restrict you from reselling the game. Which any client should be able to do, in and according to the EU. The videogame industry ignored that though.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 07, 2013, 01:57:05 pm »

*cough cough*

Hey, look, a hands on article at RPS http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/07/hands-on-simcity/
I'm deffinitly going to give this game a try, I always have 3000/4 if that's what I wan't to play anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 98