Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191586 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #300 on: February 06, 2013, 09:54:34 pm »

-No modding: No support and no permission. It would interfere with the MMO part of the game. This combined with EA and you know there's going to be overpriced DLC.

*ollies outy*

http://www.simtropolis.com/news/_/simcity-2013/sim-city-2013-will-support-mods-just-not-at-launch-r241

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #301 on: February 06, 2013, 09:58:24 pm »

Well civ V didn't support mods at launch. but now it does. Doesn't mean that you can do a whole lot with its modding tools though.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 06, 2013, 10:00:45 pm »

Well civ V didn't support mods at launch. but now it does. Doesn't mean that you can do a whole lot with its modding tools though.

I... I don't even know what to say to this one.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #303 on: February 06, 2013, 10:03:14 pm »

I've looked at the steam workshop mods list. It is completely lackluster.
I recall that when civ V's modding SDK was released a lot of the scene modders just gave up so limited it was.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 06, 2013, 10:08:20 pm »

Oh, boy. I don't even know where to start.

First of all, sim city and civ is not... developed by the same company.

...Actually, I think that's it. I don't think I can top that.
They are not made by the same company. Period.

I see no relevance in your correlations.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:16:59 pm by DoomOnion »

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 07, 2013, 12:46:08 am »

I've been playing sim city 4 for a few days just for the hell of it, and one thing that I really cannot tolerate is the fact that freighter trucks just vanish into the endless voids of simnation. They don't really serve a purpose other than to stress the traffic.

Which reminds me of other problem, there's no real 'specialization' in sim city 4, sure we have regions, sure we can connect regions, the problem is that only things that travel between those regions is ... sims. That's about it. You can have industrial cities, financial cities, and residential cities, but anything else serves hardly any purpose.

I guess I'm asking a little too much from a game that's about a decade old, but I would be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed by the fact that cargos are pretty much non-existent and the so-called specialization is just... bland.

DRM or not, the fact that 'agents' actually carry around stuff and you can sell the produced goods to other cities of yours or even the global market is enough for me. I just hope they didn't 'butcher' the other aspects of the game beyond recognitiion. I can tolerate most things as long as it's still sim city.

So yeah, I was actually really excited about the freight aspects and the specialization aspects. But IMO the only game killer right now is the small city size. I basically filled up my city square during the 1 hour long beta, and it was mostly flat land. Secondary concerns are the inability to build regional transport (which I personally really like to do). Honestly I would be really excited for the new SimCity if it weren't for this.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 07, 2013, 01:09:57 am »

Same boat here...fix map sizes >.<

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 07, 2013, 02:11:12 am »

If maps are big enough every city will be able to produce the full chain of any good at great efficiency which will ulimately hurt the multiplayer trading aspect of the game.

I see something like that happening in economies of scale, the now quiescent browser game. Nobody was sellig and buy intermediate goods because there was no limit in efficiency and space an the only good move was owning the whole production chain.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 07, 2013, 03:16:01 am »

Maxis can easily fix the city size without harming the trading concept by placing natural resources on maps, like in Cities XL
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:19:24 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2013, 07:01:06 am »

There is no correlation to be made because they aren't from the same company.
Except for the fact that it is consensus that firaxis crippled civ V modding to monetize dlc. And that this strategy is also adopted by EA.
If that is not enough for you, let's look at the sims 3 which is made by the same company... Each expansion pack is getting thinner and thinner with content (and by no means cheaper), and their object shop is getting filled to the brim with purchasable objects... There is no reason for simcity to have a different fate.

Also, tadpoles.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 07, 2013, 08:31:32 am »

Small regions in 4??? That was the game with the largest regions by a longshot.

Sorry. I used the word region when I meant city. In 3000, the playable area was much larger than 4. In 4 they introduced regions thinking that was what we wanted (or more to probably limit the size of the cities), but it disappointed me. I didn't like regions. I liked cities. But again, remember that my experience was from release date to about four months later. A lot of things could have changed since then, but I remember the cities were nothing in size compared to 3000. And now they are doing that again, the cities in the new one will be nothing in size to 4.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:34:49 am by pilgrimboy »
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 07, 2013, 09:27:42 am »

Maxis can easily fix the city size without harming the trading concept by placing natural resources on maps, like in Cities XL

According to the beta...that's what they are already doing...so yeah...fix map size

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 07, 2013, 09:30:01 am »

Yeah, I think the multiplayer aspects are actually something to look forward to. I've recently started playing dropbox simcity 4 (http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11945.0) with some friends and it's actually really fun

Holy jesus this is cool! Dammit that I just heard of it now. Do you know if there are still SC4MP-games running between strangers? (Non of my friends are interested in SC$.)

Whoa... putting the save folder in a DropBox? So anyone can do that and have their own "private server"? That's pretty damn cool.

Small regions in 4??? That was the game with the largest regions by a longshot.

Sorry. I used the word region when I meant city. In 3000, the playable area was much larger than 4. In 4 they introduced regions thinking that was what we wanted (or more to probably limit the size of the cities), but it disappointed me. I didn't like regions. I liked cities. But again, remember that my experience was from release date to about four months later. A lot of things could have changed since then, but I remember the cities were nothing in size compared to 3000. And now they are doing that again, the cities in the new one will be nothing in size to 4.

Simcity 2000: City size: 128 x 128 tiles
Simcity 3000: Maximum city size: 256 x 256 tiles
SimCity 4: Large city: 256 x 256 tiles.

This was at release day, without any patch or update.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:36:07 am by Sergius »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 07, 2013, 09:33:39 am »

There is no correlation to be made because they aren't from the same company.
Except for the fact that it is consensus that firaxis crippled civ V modding to monetize dlc. And that this strategy is also adopted by EA.
If that is not enough for you, let's look at the sims 3 which is made by the same company... Each expansion pack is getting thinner and thinner with content (and by no means cheaper), and their object shop is getting filled to the brim with purchasable objects... There is no reason for simcity to have a different fate.

....Your argueme- no. I mean sentences are just there to reinforce each other. Everything is based on one assumption that you are already right. This is a grand example of tautology.

If correlation cannot be made, how is the comparing the two going to work?
If they are not made by the same company, what do you mean by EA adopted 'this strategy'?
  What is the said strategy?
Are you saying that Firaxis diliberately hampered the modding tools to sell millions of dlcs?
  Are you aware that all dlc's made by Firaxis is just civ leaders and maps?
  Suppose that you are aware of the fact, are you also aware that with the hampered tool, the dlc factions and maps are easily
  replicable?   

This completely debunks the basis of your logic.
I really cannot see where you are going, or what you are trying to convey.

If that is not enough for you,

EA is just a publisher.
Sims 3 is made by the team called, the sims studio.
They are not maxis, they got seperated from maxis shortly after sims 1 or 2.
The developers for sim city 2013 is the ones who originally formed Maxis, and they have gathered once again to make some other games, just like what obsidian did.

So yes, that debunks your examples as well.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:40:35 am by DoomOnion »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 07, 2013, 09:39:41 am »

He claims that the games are similar in the fact that the previous installments were very moddable. Something that seems to lack from the current ones in order to increase the amount of money the developer can make off of DLC's.

And that modding was later enabled (something which is also claimed to happen with SC) but was also severely limited in it's options.

And yes you can replicate all the factions and leaders with the modding tools. But you didn't have those on release, so you were stuck without them, not know when or if they will be added. So his claim is spot on as far as the strategy adopting part is concerned.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 98