Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191518 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #225 on: January 27, 2013, 06:50:52 pm »

Simpeg is pretty awesome, but they have waaaay too much stuff. Have they finally bundled a bunch of that together or do you still have to grab everything one at a time?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 27, 2013, 07:19:39 pm »

They have some groups of things, like SPAM.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 27, 2013, 10:57:32 pm »

LEX/BSC Lot Exchange is full of awesome building mods.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 28, 2013, 06:15:11 am »

Rushhour has an improved pathing engine, AFAIK.

Bearly, if at all. The whole, as said, bypass a highway due to a street being 1 tile shorter thing still exists in it.
Magma is overrated.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 28, 2013, 09:51:48 am »

I've always installed Rush Hour, makes no difference.

The thing is, pathfinding in Vanilla SC4 is always done in a rectangle, like this

Code: [Select]
A-------+
|       |
|       |
|       |
|       |
|       |
+-------B

So it will find the shortest, maybe fastest route joining A to B, but it will always try to fit in the rectangle.

They will never go even one tile west to take a highway if they need to go east. I ended up making cities that were purposely disconnected by roads, to force sims to use the highways. Of course this was a nightmare if you wanted to do any vehicle missions (or not... since you can just ignore the "cuts" in the road and drive straight thru with the Snap option off. Still, it's a chore.)

I didn't know the Network mod upgrade thing fixed this, if I had I would have always used it :P

EDIT: Oh yeah, also it turned out that road traffic is determined by commuters, not vehicles. So 5000 people using busses clog about as much as 5000 people using cars. Or something.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:33:41 pm by Sergius »

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2013, 01:58:49 pm »

Does anyone know if you can buy Sim City 3000 online. I didn't like Sim City 4. It sounds like I'm not going to buy the new Sim City due to the DRM, saves in the cloud, and always online. So I was wanting to play 3000, which I really enjoyed.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2013, 09:20:01 pm »

Does anyone know if you can buy Sim City 3000 online. I didn't like Sim City 4. It sounds like I'm not going to buy the new Sim City due to the DRM, saves in the cloud, and always online. So I was wanting to play 3000, which I really enjoyed.

Amazon.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #232 on: February 03, 2013, 07:27:24 pm »

I hope this game isn't as bad as the reviews. But, not going to buy when it first comes out. Going to wait for post-release reviews and for initial patches to get done (possibly waiting on expansions to come out as well so that I don't have to buy individual boxes for each and just get a single box with them all).

If the game is as bad as it seems from reviews, however, I may have another project to work on once I get through the current lineup :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 03, 2013, 08:04:26 pm »

From what I've seen, I think CitiesXL 2012/2013 is going to be better than SimCity 5 will be.  All of that addition stuff mentioned in the reviews require their always online DRM and a bunch of stuff that I am personally very leery about.  I've love to have a new, honest to god SimCity game; but I don't want it to look like its been made with consoles in mind.  :'(
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #234 on: February 03, 2013, 08:15:28 pm »

I tried CitiesXL 2011 and 2012. I wasn't terribly impressed.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #235 on: February 03, 2013, 10:10:28 pm »

As far as City Builders go, CitiesXL is pretty lackluster. The biggest feature was curvy roads and more natural looking cities, and it failed to match the trend-setting detail that made the Sim City games an entertaining and time consuming hobby.

That said, I haven't touched Sim City after SC4. I saw the direction that they were taking with Societies, and I don't see much changing for 5. Even with this pattern, if they fail to top CitiesXL, then Sim City has fallen far indeed.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 03, 2013, 10:53:02 pm »

Having just played SC4 right after the betaing the new SimCity (it's not SC5, the devs don't call it SC5, they've openly spoken about how they're trying to back away from the complexity of SC4 and reintroduce the series to new fans), I think the new SC has the potential to take up the mantle of SC4 in time. If they would make the city sizes bigger (honestly the small city size is the absolute worst. I can't deal with it at all) and let us plan regional transport (I miss my trains and highways...), I feel that the new SC would have been better than vanilla SC4/RH, and in time with mods probably would be even better than the SC4 we have today.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 04, 2013, 01:22:33 am »

As far as City Builders go, CitiesXL is pretty lackluster. The biggest feature was curvy roads and more natural looking cities, and it failed to match the trend-setting detail that made the Sim City games an entertaining and time consuming hobby.

That said, I haven't touched Sim City after SC4. I saw the direction that they were taking with Societies, and I don't see much changing for 5. Even with this pattern, if they fail to top CitiesXL, then Sim City has fallen far indeed.

Societies was not made by Maxis and should not be considered part of the series.
Societies was just a moneygrab by EA as always.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2013, 01:53:39 am »

In my opinion, Societies is not a bad game. It has nothing in common with SimCity, though.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 05, 2013, 05:08:29 am »

With SC5 not going to be the serious city builder we all hoped for, and a booming Indie scene, has someone maybe heard of a promising city building game by an indipendent developer?
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 98