Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191437 times)

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2012, 02:41:50 am »

I'm just letting you know guys so don't be mad at me.

This is going to suck. EA's servers are going to be down now and then locking you out of the game, it will be a DLC nightmare and the glassbox thing will disappoint like Spore.

Just sayin'.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2012, 03:43:33 am »

I'm just letting you know guys so don't be mad at me.

This is going to suck. EA's servers are going to be down now and then locking you out of the game, it will be a DLC nightmare and the glassbox thing will disappoint like Spore.

Just sayin'.

Okay.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2012, 04:55:42 am »

Personally, I remain cautionary optimistic.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2012, 07:11:41 am »

SimCity 2013 will probably be good, but it is very likely that the game will be berated because of the DRM. Just like Spore.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2012, 10:59:19 am »

I've got to say that this really looks like a repeat of Spore.  While I'm always interested in reductionism in games, I can't see Glassbox working without a fairly long development cycle.  What's probably going to happen is that EA's going to pressure for a release, and it's going to get neutered or removed.  Unless there's been a major shakeup in EA's management and business practices, I'd strongly doubt that they have the willingness or capability to do something like this.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2012, 11:51:41 am »

The traffic thing has me really worried after having played Tropico 1...the game where you have no control over your peoples' day-to-day lives, but they have full power to screw up your whole economy just by eating lunch.  (Oh wait, that's Dwarf Fortress, too.)

I mean, in Tropico, your construction workers could move into houses on the other side of the island from their jobs, arrive at work, swing one hammer, then go home...and never get fired.  Or worse, it happens to your dockworkers and you never make another cent.  If that happens to the guys who drive the coal trucks in SC5, you're screwed.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2012, 12:06:58 pm »

The traffic thing has me really worried after having played Tropico 1...the game where you have no control over your peoples' day-to-day lives, but they have full power to screw up your whole economy just by eating lunch.  (Oh wait, that's Dwarf Fortress, too.)

I mean, in Tropico, your construction workers could move into houses on the other side of the island from their jobs, arrive at work, swing one hammer, then go home...and never get fired.  Or worse, it happens to your dockworkers and you never make another cent.  If that happens to the guys who drive the coal trucks in SC5, you're screwed.

I believe in the demo-video concerning the traffic pathfinding, to get around that sims path to the closes availible house after each "work day", so they'll always live in the same area as their work, though it sounds like they may end up switching houses each day.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2012, 12:09:17 pm »

Are you talking Tropico 1? Because in 3/4 there is a very strong bias to move into a house near your job site, and you can kick people out of one house to make them reevaluate the housing if they don't work it out.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2012, 12:12:02 pm »

I've got to say that this really looks like a repeat of Spore.  While I'm always interested in reductionism in games, I can't see Glassbox working without a fairly long development cycle.  What's probably going to happen is that EA's going to pressure for a release, and it's going to get neutered or removed.  Unless there's been a major shakeup in EA's management and business practices, I'd strongly doubt that they have the willingness or capability to do something like this.

I'm also concerned about this.  It's a big risk with simulation games I suppose.  I'm not going to get my hopes up too much until I read reviews about it.  I'll probably end up getting it eventually anyway, but I'll let the reviews guide my decision on when to get it.  Unless it's total garbage, but I don't expect that.

If that happens to the guys who drive the coal trucks in SC5, you're screwed.

If nothing else, if the traffic simulation is anything like SC3000 (I don't recall how SC4 handled it), I'm going to screw myself here.  I have a knack for making the most horribly broken cities in existence, traffic wise.  Strict grid layouts with just 1 tile wide roads = very bad, apparently.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2012, 12:12:58 pm »

Are you talking Tropico 1? Because in 3/4 there is a very strong bias to move into a house near your job site, and you can kick people out of one house to make them reevaluate the housing if they don't work it out.
Yeah, Tropico 1.  I've played 3 as well and it was better but still.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2012, 03:52:47 pm »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2012, 04:38:01 pm »

*watches the water video*

Oh jesus fucking christ it's Caesar, I hated those games with the burning passion of a thousand suns (only after throwing a good hundred hours into them).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2012, 08:33:41 am »

I'm also concerned about this.  It's a big risk with simulation games I suppose.  I'm not going to get my hopes up too much until I read reviews about it.  I'll probably end up getting it eventually anyway, but I'll let the reviews guide my decision on when to get it.  Unless it's total garbage, but I don't expect that.

If that happens to the guys who drive the coal trucks in SC5, you're screwed.

If nothing else, if the traffic simulation is anything like SC3000 (I don't recall how SC4 handled it), I'm going to screw myself here.  I have a knack for making the most horribly broken cities in existence, traffic wise.  Strict grid layouts with just 1 tile wide roads = very bad, apparently.

Sc4 was like sc3, but had an expansion called rush hour dedicated to simulate traaffic from every inhabitant

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2012, 11:35:46 am »

*watches the water video*

Oh jesus fucking christ it's Caesar, I hated those games with the burning passion of a thousand suns (only after throwing a good hundred hours into them).

That's exactly what I thought in the video about worker units.  Congratulations Maxis on catching up to city simulation mechanics of 1995.

I did appreciate that conversation they had about DLC, and the dev saying hey, we can make expansion packs but you're getting all mechanical content and any later updates for the price of admission.  I find it a little disgusting that this has become a laudable position rather than the norm, but whatever, the game sounds like a good buy.

Also, that "coming soon" video: holy shit, Robosaurus.  These are developers after my own heart.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2012, 11:41:32 am »

Oh yeah, it definitely wouldn't be "like" SC4 without disasters.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 98