Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 191442 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2012, 10:22:07 am »

its got EA hands all over it which is a major buzz kill for me...the luckiest they will probably get from me is me buying the game then using a non DRM copy from the great interwebz.

Sadly, that's not going to happen. Part of the games simulation* is done on EA's servers, hence why you can't play offline. Unless they somehow manage to replicate that, it's Origin or nothing.

*In so far that all your cities are saved on and run on EA's server cloud.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2012, 12:07:34 pm »

its got EA hands all over it which is a major buzz kill for me...the luckiest they will probably get from me is me buying the game then using a non DRM copy from the great interwebz.

Sadly, that's not going to happen. Part of the games simulation* is done on EA's servers, hence why you can't play offline. Unless they somehow manage to replicate that, it's Origin or nothing.

Oh, dear.
I can imagine the resulting shitstorm should the servers crash because of technical problems.
But who cares about the people who play the game, at least the EA profits will be secured!
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2012, 12:37:27 pm »

After it comes out some one will make a crack that let you play offline like they did for Diablo 3, but I'll see if I get it. The agent system will ether make or break it for me Tropico 4 get's to be a nightmare once you get big enough and turn your town into Parking Lot City will 10-15 Car storage places just so they stop bitching about not enough space if there able to do it better than it i'll probably buy it.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2012, 08:25:38 pm »

When you can find me a game that has not been cracked or otherwise "liberated" then I will *maybe* believe that someone can not or will not come up with such an alternative.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2012, 08:45:17 pm »

When you can find me a game that has not been cracked or otherwise "liberated" then I will *maybe* believe that someone can not or will not come up with such an alternative.

Eve Online?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2012, 12:40:52 pm »

Oh, dear.
I can imagine the resulting shitstorm should the servers crash because of technical problems.
But who cares about the people who play the game, at least the EA profits will be secured!

crashes? just imagine when they say it's o longer profitable to keep their servers up. as it had already happened to other ea games.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2012, 10:05:26 pm »

Eve Online?

That is an MMO...and cracking games usually removes the multiplayer/connect to everyone part of it...Eve online single player? Cant see that being worth it.

Simcity 5 is a major game and as such there is going to be high demand for it. cities XL comes to mind when I think of this online connectivity BS for city games and it was cracked just fine. I see the same thing happening with SC 5. It will be cracked and work offline just fine.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 18, 2012, 01:24:21 am »

Cities xl is a different story though. There you have multiplayer connectiviy. With sim city V, your city is always stored on EA's cloud, and a part of the calulations are done there. If they can hack the servers and steal it or come up with an alternative, I'll be happy, but it won't happen  soon after release.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 18, 2012, 02:04:30 am »

I am aware of that...I am just saying that I am more inclined to believe someone will find a solution. In theory they could at least find a way to bypass the Origin BS even if connecting to the servers is still required...that's a start and good enough for me.

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 18, 2012, 07:44:18 am »

Cities xl is a different story though. There you have multiplayer connectiviy. With sim city V, your city is always stored on EA's cloud, and a part of the calulations are done there. If they can hack the servers and steal it or come up with an alternative, I'll be happy, but it won't happen  soon after release.
the cloud storage thing should be easily resolved by emulating the cloud.
as for the remote calculations, IIRC in the last Settlers the world was local but the wares transportation were calculated remotely. Naturally someone cracked it in a couple of weeks and everysaltydog was jolly.
They can however make all the calculations remotely, but i highly doubt the cost of mantaining servers just to simulate lotsa(singleplayer!) worlds would be justified by whatever drm-enforcing desire the may have.

i smell see a persistent world with interacting player cities, and a MLEX system, cha-ching

edit: watched the trailer, destroyed my hopes
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:49:03 am by Elu »
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2012, 07:45:00 am »

AC had this aswell, but it was data mined and cracked.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2012, 07:18:25 pm »

Dunno if old news, but some of the simtropolis admins were invited to drop by maxis's office for some PR. Here's the thoughts Dirk offered to the community: *linkty link*

If you ask me, this will be a flop. Won't have one tenth of the replay value simcity 4 has.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2012, 07:20:06 pm »

Dunno if old news, but some of the simtropolis admins were invited to drop by maxis's office for some PR. Here's the thoughts Dirk offered to the community: *linkty link*

If you ask me, this will be a flop. Won't have one tenth of the replay value simcity 4 has.

I don't think it will flop. Even if the game is bad enough that it deserves to be a flop, it has waaay too much clout to fail.

In otherwords it is one of those things that are terrible but that everyone buys because they believe it could be good.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2012, 07:26:37 pm »

I don't think it will flop. Even if the game is bad enough that it deserves to be a flop, it has waaay too much clout to fail.

In otherwords it is one of those things that are terrible but that everyone buys because they believe it could be good.

If not a commercial flop, it'll be a flop for the community. Certanly not as memorable as simcity 4 or 3k.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 98