Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274327 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #10320 on: June 21, 2015, 11:20:41 am »

America has slightly higher rates than western Europe (about 3 deaths per 100k people instead of 1)
Are you seriously trying to claim that triple the rate is a minor difference?
And my axe. Seriously, a fucking 300% increase in murders per people is a big fucking deal, and not just something you can handwave away because Mexicans.
And my bow. Though it's technically a 200% increase, not a 300% one. :v

If you look at it as a the data that it is (i.e., murders per 100,000 people), then yes. One is at .0001% of people being murdered, and the other is at .0003% of people being murdered. Heck, statistically the US is only a little beyond one standard deviation from Europe! Your chance of death on the street is functionally equivalent, and when you are dealing with numbers that tiny it's very easy to get a significant difference just from other influences.

Math derp, ignore the struck.
Consider this. In 2013 (one year from when the previous data was taken), Mexican drug cartels caused something like 5,700 murders. The amount of murders that differentiates the US from Europe is only 3180. Imported crime from Mexico alone more than covers the difference between the US and Europe by itself. Mexico is one of the darkest countries on the map, the closest countries to Europe with that bad of a murder rate are Greenland or the southern half of Africa. Even the countries in the middle east that appear to be reporting their statistics right don't come to even half as bad as Mexico is. (Second note, I'm not looking at Eastern Europe, just Western/Northern Europe, if we include the European countries closer to Russia the European average shoots up to right where the US is and then keeps climbing).

So yeah, it's a rather small difference in overall rates statistically.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 12:42:58 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10321 on: June 21, 2015, 11:27:10 am »

I know a lot of racist folk, some more low key than others, but I have never met someone who was filled with so much racist vitriol that they would go and shoot up any black people, let alone a church.
All I can say to that is that I'm glad you haven't, or at least haven't noticed you have. I've been around more people than I'd like that were only a couple notches of social approbation from picking up a gun and going hunting.

You have to remember gg, the last public hanging of a black person is still in living memory. My grandfather's old enough to remember that year, and still kicking. Lot of the folks of the generations that came from that area and shortly thereafter are... not as distanced from the beliefs that lead to stuff like that as a lot of us would like. Less willing to be open about it, 'cause the social tide as turned pretty hard against it, but it's still there. And as this incident shows, it can still pass on to the younger generations :-\

I can't logically comprehend a healthy mind finding that an appropriate response, no matter how bad things are down here.
*shrugs* When you genuinely believe that a social group are rapists and all that racist bugshit, violence of that sort becomes more understandable. You, happily enough, believe the premises that sort of thing builds itself off are false. Folks like the guy in question didn't, and, well. What happened happened.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10322 on: June 21, 2015, 11:46:27 am »

i heard they got pretty good metal healthcare in scandinavia
I suppose that explains the headbanger who got employment benefits due to his "addiction".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10323 on: June 21, 2015, 11:55:16 am »

Not for the last 30 yea- oh. I see it now.
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10324 on: June 21, 2015, 12:30:43 pm »

Consider this. In 2013 (one year from when the previous data was taken), Mexican drug cartels caused something like 5,700 murders.  The amount of murders that differentiates the US from Europe is only 3180.
Firstly that's not 2/3rds of the total number of US murders so it does not account for the difference.  Secondly I'd like a source on 5,700 drug cartel murders in the US because that sounds completely ridiculous.  I'm getting numbers more along the lines of 500, and that's including all drug related murders.
I'd have to respectfully disagree. I know a lot of racist folk, some more low key than others, but I have never met someone who was filled with so much racist vitriol that they would go and shoot up any black people, let alone a church.

I can't logically comprehend a healthy mind finding that an appropriate response, no matter how bad things are down here.
The fact that you refuse to accept that a non-mentally ill person could do this doesn't mean it's impossible.  Also in any case better mental healthcare would have done nothing to help here in any case since he hadn't been identified as needing it, unless you're proposing some kind of weird thought-police policy.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10325 on: June 21, 2015, 12:41:59 pm »

Firstly that's not 2/3rds of the total number of US murders so it does not account for the difference.
Oh derp, sorry. You'd think as a math minor I'm make less stupid math errors.

As for the source it was from a news site but I can't seem to find the right combination of keywords to get me back there (I'm on a guest chromebook right now, so no history sadly). As you pointed out it's kinda moot though due to my stupid mistake. :P
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10326 on: June 21, 2015, 04:41:27 pm »

I'd have to respectfully disagree. I know a lot of racist folk, some more low key than others, but I have never met someone who was filled with so much racist vitriol that they would go and shoot up any black people, let alone a church.

The fact that you refuse to accept that a non-mentally ill person could do this doesn't mean it's impossible.  Also in any case better mental healthcare would have done nothing to help here in any case since he hadn't been identified as needing it, unless you're proposing some kind of weird thought-police policy.

yes, de-stigmatizing mental healthcare does sound like a wierd thought-police policy.

According to the news homeslice always went around with a sloppy ass bowlcut and eyes that looked like he just got done watching a twelve hour human centipede/elfen lied marathon. With that negative a social image, i'd imagine that going to get help for a mental disorder wouldn't do him any favours, in a social sense.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10327 on: June 21, 2015, 05:48:54 pm »

But there's no evidence that he considered himself to be mentally ill.  And really I don't either - all the evidence has pointed to him being an ideologically driven violent racist.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10328 on: June 21, 2015, 06:09:17 pm »

It could be as de-stigmatized as going to the doctor for a particularly bad cold (bad example because lolAmericanHealthcare, but bear with me) and it still wouldn't have had a difference, if the guy didn't feel like he had a cough. It's weird thought police if you force someone to go to a psychiatrist. (Granted, that does happen, but generally only if they're a danger to others or are incapable. This guy turned out to be a danger to others, but no one knew that before hand.)

And if a bad haircut and an intense stare when you take photos is enough to get you in front of a psychiatrist, then THAT is also thought police.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10329 on: June 22, 2015, 04:08:36 am »

Fashion police :v
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10330 on: June 22, 2015, 04:34:46 am »

I suppose that explains the headbanger who got employment benefits due to his "addiction".
Too much headbanging can legitimately cause brain damage

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10331 on: June 22, 2015, 09:11:57 am »

You'd think as a math minor I'm make less stupid math errors.

Not sure if is joke or not....
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10332 on: June 22, 2015, 10:40:22 am »

You'd think as a math minor I'm make less stupid math errors.
Not sure if is joke or not....
No, just a perfectly placed and rather hilarious phone keyboard typo. :P

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10333 on: June 23, 2015, 10:24:53 pm »

Sorry, missed this.

If you look at it as a the data that it is (i.e., murders per 100,000 people), then yes. One is at .0001% of people being murdered, and the other is at .0003% of people being murdered. Heck, statistically the US is only a little beyond one standard deviation from Europe! Your chance of death on the street is functionally equivalent, and when you are dealing with numbers that tiny it's very easy to get a significant difference just from other influences.

So yeah, it's a rather small difference in overall rates statistically.

With a sample size that large, I believe outliers are pretty much already accounted for. We aren't comparing beaches, we're comparing countries.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10334 on: June 23, 2015, 10:30:17 pm »

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/highlight/arresting-officers-bought-dylann-roof-burger-king/55894a162b8c2a5a2c000012?cps=gravity_2689_-1721769017549035520

Murder 9 people in lovely racist fashion; get Burger King. "Have it Your Way!"

Just weird. I. I don't know what on earth to even say. It's amazing. What could've possibly been running through their heads at the time? "Devil's Advocate" if this was used as a bargaining chip to entice him to surrender without shooting at police or something, then sure (non violence is usually better). That said, it's just really weird and it doesn't seem to sit right at first blush. I somehow don't think this is a thing they usually do for newly arrested suspects, especially those practically if not actually admitting to horrid, racially motivated multiple murders.

I wonder what the policy is in this situation. I'm making a conscious effort not to get upset and be as logical as possible here. If you are a police officer in this precinct and you arrest a suspect who says they are hungry, what do you do? I would imagine the jail serves meals at specified times. At some point, I supposed the police inevitably have to feed prisoners, rightfully so. However, it seems off that he gets fast food, but maybe I'm wrong?

I get a bad gut feeling from this, and I don't think I'm alone.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 759