Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245331 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9510 on: February 23, 2015, 10:13:03 pm »

Can someone tell me why gay people use the word "partner?" I get that it's an identity thing and that some people oscillate sexual identities like the most sexual jello but I don't get why, for example, a gay woman has to call her girlfriend her "partner." To me it just seems like it's awkward on purpose, idk though, someone probably understands this better than I do.

This seemed like the right thread, sorry if there's a thread I shoulda posted in that I missed or something.
I've seen plenty of gay people use husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend, but "partner" seems to be a relic of the more transitional period of LGBT rights where lots of things regarding same-sex relationships were heavily sanitized to counter the previous focus on how That's Degeneracy, Timmy. So you have a "life partner" in your "union". No sweaty gay sex here, no sir. You might consider it a way to navigate during a period where the mainline with straight people is "I probably hate you because you're an abberant, but not enough to go out of my way to destroy you".

Alternatively, it's plausible deniability (what, no, not that kind of partner, who do you think I am?) or a conscious rejection of mainstream terminology.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9511 on: February 23, 2015, 10:20:49 pm »

I like that it's more evocative of the relationship, m'self. Like, "girlfriend" says, what, you have a friend who's a girl? I know I'm being a bit facetious, but to whatever extent labels are nice, it is certainly nice to have an umbrella term for the entire class of relationships, given that the particular sex, gender, other identity qualities, and formality and depth of the relationship are almost never relevant to people outside it. As uneasy as it makes me feel to say "maybe less nuance in language is a good idea", here we are.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9512 on: February 23, 2015, 10:35:16 pm »

That said, Fuzzbutt hates the term.

So instead, I call him fuzzbutt. (Well, generally, he calls ME fuzzbutt. I reserve the right to never tell you what he has my contact info named in his phone. Ever.)

And mock him mercilessly for it. "So you're my partner." "Oh god no." "My sex partner. Who does the sex with me. Sexually. Partsexner. Or boyfriend. Boypartner. Partnerfriend. Pard'ner. Howdy." "..."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9513 on: February 23, 2015, 10:44:38 pm »

descan you make my add look like i'm just a knob
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9514 on: February 23, 2015, 10:46:48 pm »

Whenever I hear people knocking homosexuality I want to show them descan and have them honestly tell me how mad they are.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9515 on: February 23, 2015, 10:56:29 pm »

ADD, Koss? I have that too, actually. >____>

And uh... Thanks, GG? I think? :P
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9516 on: February 23, 2015, 10:59:36 pm »

:3

ADD bros~
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9517 on: February 23, 2015, 11:01:21 pm »

Hehehe all of the ADD peoples.

Assuming we're talking about Attention Deficit Disorder here.  Never heard it used any other way, but if it's something else in this context, I'm probably not that.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9518 on: February 23, 2015, 11:05:27 pm »

At least for me, that's what I mean. I've never heard it used in any other way, except possibly "Add and subtract," but context cues say probably not. :P

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9519 on: February 24, 2015, 03:20:55 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the UK people tend to use the term "partner" as a unisex expression for significant other nowadays. It tends to be someone you're not married to, but live with. It can be used to refer to people in a same sex relationship but it's even more commonly heard as a term for older people in a relationship. I think in the UK at least it's seen as slightly weird to talk about elderly people having "boyfriends" or "girlfriends" so we just say "partner" instead because it sounds more respectable. I believe you can use it for even married people.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9520 on: February 24, 2015, 03:33:17 am »

I've been using that word for ages.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9521 on: February 24, 2015, 04:40:18 am »

Partner is also used in the German language to refer to same-sex couples.
I guess that it's a more formal term than going full Greek and call them lovers.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9522 on: February 24, 2015, 12:12:41 pm »

In the UK people tend to use the term "partner" as a unisex expression for significant other nowadays. It tends to be someone you're not married to, but live with.

Yes, it's the same up here.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9523 on: February 24, 2015, 12:30:28 pm »

In the UK people tend to use the term "partner" as a unisex expression for significant other nowadays. It tends to be someone you're not married to, but live with.

Yes, it's the same up here.
My mum got rather annoyed when someone on the phone called her my dad's partner a few times, despite her correcting her my saying "husband" after each "partner."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9524 on: February 24, 2015, 12:42:05 pm »

Partner is also used in the German language to refer to same-sex couples.
I guess that it's a more formal term than going full Greek and call them lovers.
It's unisex, actually. Well, if the partner's a woman you'd have to say 'Partnerin', 'female partner', but that's just because the German language is big on grammatical genders.
It'd be a bit unusual to use it for a traditional relationship, though - if you're married, you just call each other 'Mann' and 'Frau' (literally 'man' and 'woman'), and if not you'll likelly say 'Mein Freund' and 'Meine Freundin' ('my male friend' and 'my female friend', which occasionally leads to confusion about whether a particular 'Freund' is a romantic or a non-romantic friend).
Using a language with grammatical gender must be hell for LBGTROPN+ people for who this is a serious issue.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 759