Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245359 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3855 on: November 06, 2012, 06:38:38 am »

Washington in particular looked like it had things up to the level of separate but equal, at the very least, before this, according to a cursory search (i.e. checked the wiki page).

Be nice if the washington ref got through, though, even if it's sorta' in the opposite direction I'd find ideal. Personally, I'd love it if marriage was just dissolved as a legal construct and everything on the legal level was civil unions. It'd shut a lot of the religious folks up about same-sex relationships, at least insofar as the legal aspects are concerned.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: November 06, 2012, 07:14:14 am »

I'd love to dissolve it further and just go with "households" or something similar.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: November 06, 2012, 07:21:01 am »

We found out decades ago that "separate, but equal" doesn't really work.

Well, hey know, it still seems to be working and have a lot of support in some cases. I dare say the vast majority of the US supports separate but equal enforced gender segregation. Just makes everyone more comfortable to only be around those of the same gender, you know? No one seems particularly interested in changing that, so I would say it works.

For matters like this, of course, where it isn't actually equal and people are quite unhappy about it, though, it's obviously a problem.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: November 06, 2012, 07:28:55 am »

I would prefer gender neutral everything. Then again, as a gay man, I want everyone as uncomfortable in the showers as I am.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: November 06, 2012, 07:52:59 am »

Unisex toilets + Alcohol, though, sounds like a BAD mix as far as security goes. I've only seen 1 pub in my life that tried that, basically because they were too cheap to stick another loo in the front bar, and the place dated from the era when there was a men's bar and a ladies bar (which they later turned into a bistro).

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: November 06, 2012, 07:54:52 am »

Yeah I'd prefer all the gender segregation to be done away with, myself. It's not a huge deal in most cases, but for some it's a hassle. Just ask a transsexual which bathroom they should go into.

Then again, as a gay man, I want everyone as uncomfortable in the showers as I am.
This also :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: November 06, 2012, 09:22:20 am »

Washington in particular looked like it had things up to the level of separate but equal, at the very least, before this, according to a cursory search (i.e. checked the wiki page).

It still is far from equal because anything that is not a marriage is not recognized as one on the federal level and because of that you don't get any federal tax breaks, federal benefits and so forth no matter how equal you are on state level. But there is movement to transform same-sex civil unions into full marriages. :)
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3862 on: November 06, 2012, 09:39:00 am »

Even marriage doesn't qualify for equal federal protection thanks to DOMA, however any sane supreme court would cast DOMA down as unconstitutional under the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment, if only we had a sane supreme court.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: November 06, 2012, 10:01:03 am »

That isn't fair, the Supreme Court has never even reviewed DOMA. They can't unless it is brought to them, which it probably will be as two of the District Courts have struck down DOMA for that very reason.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: November 06, 2012, 11:56:33 am »

Then again, as a gay man, I want everyone as uncomfortable in the showers as I am.
This also :P

Aha! Now we have it writing! I knew the Gay Agenda could not be denied forever! To the press-machines!
Love, scriver~

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: November 06, 2012, 02:19:41 pm »

separate bathrooms are 'gender segregation' now?

beautiful :D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:22:44 pm by TripJack »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: November 06, 2012, 02:25:03 pm »

Even if you don't think its wrong, separate bathrooms for separate genders is by definition gender segregation. What else would you call it?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: November 06, 2012, 02:25:22 pm »

When were they ever /not/ gender segregation? And we have gender-specific gyms and clubs and other businesses and whatnot too.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: November 06, 2012, 02:26:57 pm »

Imo there shouldn't even be gender integration because imo people shouldn't even be together in dressing rooms bathrooms etc regardless of gender. So yeah.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: November 06, 2012, 02:30:48 pm »

Darvi, your solution sounds incredibly expensive compared to the current system and would greatly ruin the bonds of the sauna.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 759