Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1275083 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #3060 on: September 19, 2012, 08:17:37 pm »

Its a long story.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: September 19, 2012, 08:20:00 pm »

Generally discussion about this.

I'm not sure of the origin story though, it had something to do with Vector, didn't it?

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: September 19, 2012, 08:23:38 pm »

I think I'll keep boycotting Chik-Fil-A anyway. Zaksbys is much better and doesn't close on Sundays.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: September 19, 2012, 08:57:41 pm »

Heck, I don't even know the origin story of the original thread. I really ought to add a "what is this thread about" section to the first post. I feel like we'd get more newcomers to the discussion that way.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: September 19, 2012, 09:04:43 pm »

Vector decided to make a "bad things from a left-wing perspective" politics thread with an emphasis on feminist issues.  I don't think there's anything else to say about the origin.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: September 19, 2012, 09:05:38 pm »

The feminist thing totally fell apart when she left though, I didn't notice that.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: September 19, 2012, 09:12:50 pm »

No one here is really involved in feminist issues afaik :( So no one to post interesting or rage worthy events.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: September 19, 2012, 09:16:36 pm »

I didn't even realize that was an explicit intention of the original thread. I thought it just ended up in there sort of organically.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: September 19, 2012, 09:17:16 pm »

Well, most of us here are well...men.  I'm not saying that men can't be feminists, it's just that generally women know more about women's issues than men do, and I would rather not opine on a subject I'm not all that familiar with.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: September 19, 2012, 09:30:13 pm »

Thinking about it I'm not sure if it's really a thread we need, especially considering the absence of other general politics threads.  The previous thread kindof functioned as a blog of sorts (Vector posts about the issues she's concerned with), but this thread just kindof hangs around attracting arguments about whether it's exclusionary until someone desperately posts a random link to try and change the subject.

Maybe we could do with another thread that isn't restricted to those on the left wing?  Kindof like "post a recent development and explain why you think it is bad, then debate that point".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: September 19, 2012, 09:39:34 pm »

Vector also tended to read a lot of blogs about feminist issues, and similar stuff. Though it's good to note that while she was a pretty big feminist, she didn't exclusively talk about feminist issues, although there were several big debates regarding feminist issues and battles of the sexes...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: September 20, 2012, 12:30:12 am »

battles of the sexes

It'd solve the looming overpopulation problem at least.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: September 20, 2012, 12:31:37 am »

There isn't a "looming overpopulation problem" since the birth rate is expected to start going down really soon.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: September 20, 2012, 12:39:47 am »

There isn't a "looming overpopulation problem" since the birth rate is expected to start going down really soon.

Because of the battle of the sexes, we already went over this.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 759