Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274732 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1455 on: May 19, 2012, 04:03:57 pm »

I just read that about the FBI policy of entrapment. It's scary as hell.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: May 19, 2012, 06:44:44 pm »

Congressmen try to sneak in a amendment to this year's NDAA to give them the right to bombard Americans with propaganda, WWII style.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: May 19, 2012, 07:00:15 pm »

Hooray for nurses!

Fuck you, Congress!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: May 20, 2012, 12:09:32 pm »

Great, but:
Quote from: HRC President Joe Solmonese
"We could not be more pleased with the NAACP's history-making vote today -- which is yet another example of the traction marriage equality continues to gain in every community. It's time the shameful myth that the African-American community is somehow out of lockstep with the rest of the country on marriage equality is retired -- once and for all. The facts and clear momentum toward marriage speak for themselves."
Since when is that a myth? I thought it was an established demographic trend that black Americans were less likely to support marriage equality.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: May 20, 2012, 01:23:51 pm »

Great, but:
Quote from: HRC President Joe Solmonese
"We could not be more pleased with the NAACP's history-making vote today -- which is yet another example of the traction marriage equality continues to gain in every community. It's time the shameful myth that the African-American community is somehow out of lockstep with the rest of the country on marriage equality is retired -- once and for all. The facts and clear momentum toward marriage speak for themselves."
Since when is that a myth? I thought it was an established demographic trend that black Americans were less likely to support marriage equality.

You could theoretically say that African-Americans are simply interested in their own rights before caring about marriage equality, I guess?

I think you're right, though.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: May 20, 2012, 01:25:22 pm »

No, the reasoning as I remember it is that black Americans are more frequently very religious than other Americans, and as such have ingrained negative views of homosexuality into their subcultural norms.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: May 20, 2012, 01:51:32 pm »

No, the reasoning as I remember it is that black Americans are more frequently very religious than other Americans, and as such have ingrained negative views of homosexuality into their subcultural norms.

While it's true that those who identify as black in America tend to be more religious, they aren't too far out of synch with the rest of the country. http://as.nyu.edu/docs/IO/4819/marriagedivides.pdf covers the result of an exaggerated exit-poll for Prop 8 which did a lot to entrench the perception of the African-American community being far more conservative on this issue. Still, there is a grain of truth to "the myth", even if it isn't as bad as sometimes made out to be.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: May 20, 2012, 03:25:52 pm »

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/19/mississippi-2/

"Mississippi Conservative Calls For Putting Gay People To Death On Facebook Page."

I wonder if he's ever actually read any of the rest of Leviticus, cause I'm sure it prescribes most people should die for a few "abominations" mixed threads, shellfish, let's not forget the prohibition against wealth. Something about it being easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven.... That's from a different contributor to the bible though.... I think his name was Jesus.... No need to take him into account but that Leviticus.... Clearly, he's the guy to quote. :P

Cherry Picking per usual. He took the offensive quotes down off facebook right after his just deserts, the firestorm against him, started. Then he pretended to stand by his interpretation of religion....

Then, also per usual, he forsakes the constitution for the bible.... He's not legally allowed to do that, what with separation of church and state and all.... You'd think it would matter given that he's calling for the execution of American Citizens, but na.... His opinion is protected.... Any other civilization in the developed world wouldn't stand for that....

This man is a state legislator....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:37:44 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: May 20, 2012, 03:37:05 pm »

Are we on Mississippi today? Because I recently ran across something Progressive Rage-y Expression-y:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/15/bubba-carpenter-mississippi-abortion_n_1518533.html

Quote from: Rep. Bubba Carpenter
You have the other side. They're like, 'Well, the poor pitiful women that can't afford to go out of state are just going to start doing them at home with a coat hanger.' That's what we've heard over and over and over," Carpenter told an Alcorn County GOP meeting in a video flagged by Rachel Maddow's blog. "But hey, you have to have moral values. You have to start somewhere, and that’s what we've decided to do.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: May 20, 2012, 03:53:12 pm »

He's not legally allowed to do that, what with separation of church and state and all....
This world would be so much better if that was actually enforced or even acknowledged.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: May 20, 2012, 04:35:56 pm »

He's not legally allowed to do that, what with separation of church and state and all....
This world would be so much better if that was actually enforced or even acknowledged.
That's not fair, it's plenty acknowledged. Not as much as it should be, but most of the things that the Religious Right bitch about are because of the enforcement of the Separation of Church and State. School sponsored prayer, anyone?
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: May 20, 2012, 04:42:59 pm »

That's not fair, it's plenty acknowledged. Not as much as it should be, but most of the things that the Religious Right bitch about are because of the enforcement of the Separation of Church and State. School sponsored prayer, anyone?

Point partially taken but eh....

So we get school sponsored "moments of silence" where in many places you get looked at, like you purposefully vomited in the school cafeteria jumbo and they only caught you after it was served to everyone, if you don't pray.

That's like melting down those little plastic army men to get green tea. It may be green but damn it, that's not tea....

:P

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: May 20, 2012, 05:03:11 pm »

Melted army men is more of a blackish color.

Honestly, even if it wasn't gay specifically, people who say "these people should be killed" need to be seriously looked at.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: May 20, 2012, 05:46:28 pm »

truean, that has got to be the weirdest comparison I have ever heard.

That's kinda the point. It doesn't make sense.

Melted army men is more of a blackish color.

Honestly, even if it wasn't gay specifically, people who say "these people should be killed" need to be seriously looked at.

So it's even worse, Neither green, nor tea.... :P

Yeah, I'd really hope lawmakers who advocate largescale killings as the right thing are sorta looked at funny....

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 759