Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274640 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1380 on: May 12, 2012, 02:24:48 am »

Ok, in a city near me some people are holding an event to stop sexist language. Its good, but some of their presenters are going to be talking about Rush Limbaugh and as a result they are calling their event "Sluts talk back" Is it just me, or does this seem counter-productive on the issue of sexist language? I mean, I know what their doing with the name, calling attention to Rush's antics, but it seems as if the name may hurt their cause more than help it by making them seem as if they don't care if they are called sluts. Does anyone else see this or am I over-analyzing it?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: May 12, 2012, 02:40:59 am »

There is a movement (I suppose that word works) to make the word "Slut" and the acts one could call "slutty" less reviled in society. So maybe there is a link there.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: May 12, 2012, 02:42:36 am »

But what I don't get is that one of the main things they are speaking out against is Rush's name calling of that woman.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: May 12, 2012, 02:42:42 am »

Ok, in a city near me some people are holding an event to stop sexist language. Its good, but some of their presenters are going to be talking about Rush Limbaugh and as a result they are calling their event "Sluts talk back" Is it just me, or does this seem counter-productive on the issue of sexist language? I mean, I know what their doing with the name, calling attention to Rush's antics, but it seems as if the name may hurt their cause more than help it by making them seem as if they don't care if they are called sluts. Does anyone else see this or am I over-analyzing it?
I heard of a similar event a few years back called the "Slut Walk", to protest sexist language used by someone in authority (a cop, iirc). The idea was to demonstrate that women can and do have sex (and enjoy it!) just like men can, and should be able to do so without negative connotations.
Remember that in a lot of places, men who have lots of sex = studs, manly men, playas; whereas women who have lots of sex = sluts, whores, tramps.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: May 12, 2012, 02:44:59 am »

But what I don't get is that one of the main things they are speaking out against is Rush's name calling of that woman.
Rush's name-calling of that women with harmful intent.

That's the point, I think. They want it that calling someone a slut isn't a bad thing. But when people call someone a slut and mean to denigrate them in doing so, that harms that ideal, and that's what they're protesting.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: May 12, 2012, 02:46:14 am »

That's the point, I think. They want it that calling someone a slut isn't a bad thing. But when people call someone a slut and mean to denigrate them in doing so, that harms that ideal, and that's what they're protesting.
Once again, someone else explains what I'm trying to say far more concisely :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: May 12, 2012, 02:47:21 am »

Ah, that makes much more sense now. It would be a bit strange of them to do exactly what their protesting against.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: May 12, 2012, 12:07:49 pm »

Yeah, it's called reclaiming slurs, and for the life of me I cannot find a good detailed explanation of it. What's been written here is good though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: May 12, 2012, 02:41:03 pm »

Basically, removing the harm from a word by adopting it as your own. Though that may not be a very good summary of the idea.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: May 12, 2012, 05:07:09 pm »

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/12/11668279-new-tennessee-law-aims-to-curb-teaching-gateway-sexual-activity?lite
Another abstinence-only bill in Tennessee.
On Thursday, State Rep. Jon Lundberg told NBC station WCYB-TV that a focus on abstinence is needed because Tennessee has the seventh-highest teen birth rate in the nation and the 11th-highest HIV infection rate in the nation.
I guess they aren't content with 7th and 11th; they want to be number 1! Or, at least, that's what I assume they want, considering study after study shows abstinence only "education" is entirely ineffective, if not counterproductive.

"Hey, you kids who are of the age that rebelling against authority is cool! Don't ever do this thing! It is extremely gratifying in the short term! But don't ever do it!"
I mean seriously, did these people not have to read Tom Sawyer in school or something? Whitewashing this fence is really fun! But you kids can't do it; only us adults!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:13:17 pm by alway »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: May 12, 2012, 05:16:28 pm »

I've been saying for eons, if we keep trying to hide stuff away, it'll only increase people's curiosity for it. Kids especially.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: May 12, 2012, 06:27:12 pm »

Ugh. On the topic of that military course: There's apparently more of them. http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/12/11675222-al-jazeera-second-anti-islam-military-curriculum-surfaces?lite
The slides leave the impression that Hamas extremists have infiltrated the U.S. government, media and education via U.S. Islamic groups like the Council on American-Islamic Relations, Al-Jazeera said.
The documents indicated the two courses were prepared by the consulting firm Strategic Engagement Group, Inc., Al-Jazeera said. The website for Strategic Engagement does include statements similar to those in the materials cited by Al-Jazeera, msnbc.com found.
The firm's website states its president, E.J. Kimball, was formerly a foreign policy counsel to Rep. Sue Myrick, R-N.C., and created the bipartisan Congressional Anti-Terrorism Caucus.
Myrick earlier wrote to Pentagon chief Leon Panetta voicing her concern that "the political nature of these (class) reviews might inadvertently weaken" military training, Al-Jazeera noted.
Stephen Coughlin, VP of strategic communication initiatives, is described as "the leading expert in the United States on Islamic Doctrine" and a U.S. Army Reserve major with military intelligence expertise.
The slides indicate the course was approved by two retired three- star generals and former CIA Director James Woolsey, Al-Jazeera added.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:29:40 pm by alway »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: May 12, 2012, 06:30:42 pm »

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/12/11668279-new-tennessee-law-aims-to-curb-teaching-gateway-sexual-activity?lite
Another abstinence-only bill in Tennessee.
On Thursday, State Rep. Jon Lundberg told NBC station WCYB-TV that a focus on abstinence is needed because Tennessee has the seventh-highest teen birth rate in the nation and the 11th-highest HIV infection rate in the nation.
I guess they aren't content with 7th and 11th; they want to be number 1! Or, at least, that's what I assume they want, considering study after study shows abstinence only "education" is entirely ineffective, if not counterproductive.

"Hey, you kids who are of the age that rebelling against authority is cool! Don't ever do this thing! It is extremely gratifying in the short term! But don't ever do it!"
I mean seriously, did these people not have to read Tom Sawyer in school or something? Whitewashing this fence is really fun! But you kids can't do it; only us adults!
That's not the (most) crazy part. The crazy part is that this extends into teaching teenagers to avoid 'sexual gateway activities".

I'm surprised they don't just try to outlaw premarital sex altogether, at this point.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:32:27 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: May 12, 2012, 06:33:43 pm »

Remember, the whole statutory thing, re: couples right on the arbitrary age line. They kinda' have outlawed it in some (otherwise completely harmless) situations.

But yeah, that's pretty damn crazy. I always sorta' wonder who these people actually are, but then I remember I live in a community largely comprised of them and kinda' know exactly who they are, so... bleh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 759