Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245336 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1320 on: May 09, 2012, 09:43:47 pm »

Gay friend posts status where he's happy about Obama supporting gay marriage.

His stepsister posts some generic "god hates gay marriage, you'll have to answer for this in the next life" stuff and cites a Bible verse.

I post that 1 Timothy 2: 12 says a woman shouldn't teach a man and ask her why she's trying to teach a man and not being quiet.

Her response: "He's not much of a man."

/raeg
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:46:39 pm by penguinofhonor »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 09, 2012, 09:45:59 pm »

I don't know whether I should laugh or be depressed by that exchange.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 09, 2012, 09:56:48 pm »

I did both.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 09, 2012, 10:37:17 pm »

Well, one of my friends actually came at her from a sympathetic "what would jesus do" viewpoint and she's actually reconsidering her views. Beats my smartass jabs by a mile.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 09, 2012, 10:56:05 pm »

Well, one of my friends actually came at her from a sympathetic "what would jesus do" viewpoint and she's actually reconsidering her views.
Wow. That hardly ever works.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: May 10, 2012, 01:44:25 am »

That's like the only way to convince someone of anything, scelly. Not antagonising them.
Love, scriver~

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 10, 2012, 01:46:06 am »

That's like the only way to convince someone of anything, scelly. Not antagonising them.
Yeah, its just in my experience it hardly ever works to do that on gay-bashers and a lot of the time it backfires. Mostly, I just ignore em.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 10, 2012, 03:13:19 am »

Gay friend posts status where he's happy about Obama supporting gay marriage.

His stepsister posts some generic "god hates gay marriage, you'll have to answer for this in the next life" stuff and cites a Bible verse.

I post that 1 Timothy 2: 12 says a woman shouldn't teach a man and ask her why she's trying to teach a man and not being quiet.

Her response: "He's not much of a man."

/raeg
Respond with "still more man than you'll ever be."  DO EEET!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 10, 2012, 09:24:47 am »

So she believes in reincarnation? Weird Christian.

Apparently there's a legal complaint being filed in Greensboro, NC by the county register of deeds and three clergy members, to the effect that the clergy view any state imposition on who they can and can't marry as a violation of religious freedom. My former pastor (I was raised Lutheran-Missouri Synod) is one of the three clergy. I'm doubly impressed because the complaint specifies that while he won't perform a same-sex marriage (because the denomination, which is the archconservative wing of the Lutherans, forbids it), he feels that it's STILL a violation of religious freedom and that other denominations should have the right to solemnize same-sex marriages if they so choose.

He didn't have to do this. He could have easily hidden behind the denomination's rules and made no comment. That's the kind of the thing that I needed to see after yesterday, to reaffirm the notion that Christianity has value, even if its implementation often leaves something to be desired.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 10, 2012, 11:29:03 am »

Yeah, its just in my experience it hardly ever works to do that on gay-bashers and a lot of the time it backfires. Mostly, I just ignore em.
Well yeah.  If they've thought about it at all then their interpretation of Jesus would indeed warn gays that them marrying is a sin.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 10, 2012, 12:45:33 pm »

So she believes in reincarnation? Weird Christian.

Apparently there's a legal complaint being filed in Greensboro, NC by the county register of deeds and three clergy members, to the effect that the clergy view any state imposition on who they can and can't marry as a violation of religious freedom. My former pastor (I was raised Lutheran-Missouri Synod) is one of the three clergy. I'm doubly impressed because the complaint specifies that while he won't perform a same-sex marriage (because the denomination, which is the archconservative wing of the Lutherans, forbids it), he feels that it's STILL a violation of religious freedom and that other denominations should have the right to solemnize same-sex marriages if they so choose.

He didn't have to do this. He could have easily hidden behind the denomination's rules and made no comment. That's the kind of the thing that I needed to see after yesterday, to reaffirm the notion that Christianity has value, even if its implementation often leaves something to be desired.

??? He's basically saying the state has no sovereignty over family law, which it always has in this country since the beginning. As for his "if they so chose" argument, it's a puff piece because he knows that choice is effectively bound by the church. Thus it will never happen.... Kinda funny though.

As for the stepsister and the "next live" stuff, could also be an afterlife. She knows what "God" says huh? Has she been hearing other voices as well? :P Remember the rule, "You talk to God, you're religious; God talks to you, you're crazy."
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 10, 2012, 01:23:33 pm »

??? He's basically saying the state has no sovereignty over family law, which it always has in this country since the beginning. As for his "if they so chose" argument, it's a puff piece because he knows that choice is effectively bound by the church. Thus it will never happen.... Kinda funny though.
No, I read it as "Look, as a Missouri-Lutheran Synod pastor, I can't marry you. But I think that if the UCCs or Episcopals or Unitarians or whoever are willing to marry you, they should be allowed to do so." It does bring up an interesting counterpoint to the arguments that (for instance), the Feds were violating religious freedom by forcing Catholic-funded institutions to provide insurance coverage for birth control, against their own religious doctrine.

If the UU's (as an example) have decreed that they recognize and celebrate same-sex marriage, how is it not violating religious freedom for a state to force them to NOT perform said marriages? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 10, 2012, 01:38:13 pm »

No, I read it as "Look, as a Missouri-Lutheran Synod pastor, I can't marry you. But I think that if the UCCs or Episcopals or Unitarians or whoever are willing to marry you, they should be allowed to do so." It does bring up an interesting counterpoint to the arguments that (for instance), the Feds were violating religious freedom by forcing Catholic-funded institutions to provide insurance coverage for birth control, against their own religious doctrine.
Which never actually happened, heh. Weren't... weren't you the one that cleared that up over in the America Election thread a while back? Though I guess you mean the noisy argument in the media that was misrepresenting things...

If the UU's (as an example) have decreed that they recognize and celebrate same-sex marriage, how is it not violating religious freedom for a state to force them to NOT perform said marriages? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Yeah, that's a point that doesn't exactly get represented in the larger dialogue, and a pretty good one. Kinda' cuts to the point that the advocates against same sex marriage aren't doing it for religious freedom, they're (at best) doing it for their religion's "freedom." It's nice to see some folks getting some attention fighting for religious freedom writ large.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: May 10, 2012, 01:49:29 pm »

I'm atheist, but I the UCC is a pretty cool church in my book. They've been performing ceremonies in my area for gay couples for years, even if the event isn't legally binding.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 10, 2012, 02:05:27 pm »

Yeah, that's a point that doesn't exactly get represented in the larger dialogue, and a pretty good one. Kinda' cuts to the point that the advocates against same sex marriage aren't doing it for religious freedom, they're (at best) doing it for their religion's "freedom." It's nice to see some folks getting some attention fighting for religious freedom writ large.
Well, and let's make clear that what they (the anti-SSM advocates) are fighting for is their religion's freedom to discriminate. Which has typically not been recognized as a valid right by most courts (although Hosanna-Tabor Church v. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission certainly could be interpreted as allowing exemptions for religious institutions from things like equal opportunity labor laws).

It's a thorny issue: One the one hand, religions shouldn't be able to exempt themselves from civil protections and be legally able to create second-class citizenry. On the other hand, government should not be able to dictate to religions what parts of their doctrine they are allowed to practice.

In a perfect world, it would be left up to the market of ideas, and people would vote with their feet -- if the majority of individuals favored gay marriage, in theory they'd leave close-minded denominations and choose SSM-friendly ones. But it's nowhere near that simple. Most people can't "shop around" for a new church the way you can for a new car.

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 759