Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274658 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #1305 on: May 09, 2012, 04:51:27 pm »

...That actually seems like quite a lot of democrat voters he could stand to lose on the issue.  It seems more like a vote loser than a vote winner, to be honest (most of the votes he could've potentially won were probably staying a million miles away from the Republicans anyway).  Also due to the insane backlash you can get from churches and conservative groups for doing this (here we've had the Catholics read out an anti-gay marriage service in all of their churches and schools, for instance, which is definitely not good for the government) to be honest I can see why Obama would want to back away from this issue.

I guess it does put Romney in a bad position, though.  He has to come out against gay marriage to avoid driving off his base, even if it contradicts his views on gay rights when he ran for governor.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: May 09, 2012, 04:56:00 pm »

That's not necessarily true. Now that Obama has supported same-sex marriage; Romney can say pretty much anything on the issue and not lose votes. What are they going to do, vote for Obama in protest?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: May 09, 2012, 04:58:50 pm »

Stay home. That's almost always the worst thing. Gotta turn out the base. Gotta turn out the moderates too.

Adopt a moderate stance, like civil unions, you attract a bunch of people who are opposed to outright gay marriage cause it's icky but don't really hate the gays. But then the hardliners stay home, because they don't really want to vote for Romney anyway.

Adopt a hardline stance, and the moderates might stay home, or they might even vote for Obama.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 09, 2012, 05:00:42 pm »

I meant saying liberal things. Saying ultra-conservative things would be a bad move, yes. Saying liberal things about same-sex marriage won't keep the hardliners away. They're too focused on getting rid of Obama to let one issue disbar Romney.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: May 09, 2012, 05:08:40 pm »

Them staying home is a real possibility, though.  They might think it'd be better to have 4 more years bashing Obama (with hopefully the economy still struggling) than to put in someone who they don't really like anyway to make a fool of himself.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: May 09, 2012, 05:11:10 pm »

I dunno....some of them are already on the verge of fence-sitting after losing their Great White Hope in Santorum.

FWIW, Romney's stance today was that he's opposed to gay marriage *and* opposed to civil unions which are "functionally equivalent to marriage". In other words, he's in favor civil unions as long as they don't have all the same rights. Second-class status only.

When pushed on that, he's said that domestic partner benefits and hospital visitation rights are OK, but additional benefits aren't. He didn't provide an example of an "additional benefit" that wouldn't be acceptable.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 09, 2012, 05:16:54 pm »

Heh, the usual conservative radio I constantly overhear at work was going on and on about this. "Obama flip flops!"

This is the sort of flip flop I like. Let's hope he sticks to it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: May 09, 2012, 05:25:30 pm »

Heh, the usual conservative radio I constantly overhear at work was going on and on about this. "Obama flip flops!"

This is the sort of flip flop I like. Let's hope he sticks to it.

This is the problem:

a.) Any change in position for any reason is now a "flip flop," which denotes no consistency and is an insult.
b.) Because of "a" no politician can ever change their minds about anything no matter how wrong they are without risking this being thrown at them.
c.) Obama was always Pro Gay for years and how could anyone not know that? Refusing to defend DOMA. Getting rid of Don't ask; don't tell. Etc.

Just another distraction from actual problems, which let's face it, no one really knows how to solve. If they knew, then they'd solve them already....

Shit, nobody really knows how to get the US a few million jobs that actually pay something.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:35:26 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: May 09, 2012, 05:35:11 pm »

Only this goes further.  It seems to imply that merely stating your position on something you haven't stated your position on before is a flipflop.  Apart from anything else that's really questionable terminology.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: May 09, 2012, 05:53:37 pm »

This one actually pulled a quote from 2004 where he (supposedly) said marriage is "between a man and a woman."

Dunno the accuracy of that, due to it being a radio talk show.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: May 09, 2012, 05:59:11 pm »

In either case, it is incredibly disturbing that we've reached a point where re-evaluating your opinion when new information comes up (or even just changing your bloody mind) is considered to be a sign of weakness.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: May 09, 2012, 06:01:02 pm »

Uh, we reached that point years ago.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: May 09, 2012, 06:05:16 pm »

Well, yeah. I was speaking in general terms; I've been terrified of political thinking from the moment I was capable of understanding "election", or near enough.  :P

Would probably have been better for me to say, "I'm terrified that the world can be this backward and so many people don't seem to care."

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: May 09, 2012, 06:08:28 pm »

This one actually pulled a quote from 2004 where he (supposedly) said marriage is "between a man and a woman."

Dunno the accuracy of that, due to it being a radio talk show.
2004? Wow, like no one has ever changed their mind in eight years.

Hell, back in 2004 I thought homosexuality should be illegal. How's that for a flip-flop?
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: May 09, 2012, 06:19:36 pm »

In 2004 I think I was on the fence, as that was roughly when I woke up to the world that wasn't within 10 feet of my immediate position.

And yeah, politicians changing their stance on something they said ages ago is an obvious sign of weakness, or worse, lying! Their first position is their only position and any change is just pandering to voters (right, Ron Paul?).

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 759