Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1245273 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #885 on: April 05, 2012, 01:48:27 pm »

Ideally it will only record when you tell it to. I don't really see this as any different than what smart phones already do. Yeah, it's somewhat easy to accidentally record your actions/location/whatever with those already and this would make it even more convenient for you to do something silly, if you're careful, then it's really not any worse than what we're already dealing with.

It's not the technology so much that makes it bad, although the companies make it way too easy to do bad things with them. It's just that people need a lesson in what exactly is private information. If social networking has taught us one thing, it's that people tend to be blabber mouths, they want to talk about everything and anything and if you give them an outlet that even presumably is being listened to, then they'll tell everything.

Yeah, it can be kinda scary how much of ourselves we're putting out there, but honestly, this... sort of thing, at least... is what I've been dreaming of for years. Personally, I was hoping for a terminal prompt and a (virtual?*) keyboard, but the times they are a changing in this touch screen world.

*Yeah, I wanted to be one of those idiots that would stand there staring off into space typing on absolutely nothing. To me, at least, it seems a lot less silly than talking to yourself. "Tell me how to get to George's deli." and people looking at you funny when they think you're asking them out of nowhere. Even when they've been around for years now, bluetooth headsets still seem a bit odd and confusing if someone walks by talking and I'm not sure who they're talking to.
This. It's not like these glasses (or the contact lenses the article theorizes in a hilariously paranoid manner) are mandatory, always-on, or surgically implanted. Doing something you don't want accidentally recorded? Take them off, shut them down, and do whatever you're gonna do.

ETA: Or you could just, I don't know, not buy them, Levi. If you don't want a computer that looks like a bad sci-fi prop, don't get it. Simple.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 05, 2012, 01:51:01 pm »

ETA: Or you could just, I don't know, not buy them, Levi. If you don't want a computer that looks like a bad sci-fi prop, don't get it. Simple.

Except that I DO want them.   :P  Just got to be careful about what software is enabled and such. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 05, 2012, 01:54:08 pm »

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 05, 2012, 01:56:37 pm »

Jokes on you, my webcam is taped over when it isn't being used.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 05, 2012, 02:05:22 pm »

Jokes on you, my webcam is taped over when it isn't being used.

Here, the joke and the tape would literally be on you. :)

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 05, 2012, 02:23:09 pm »

This kind of thing is why webcameras have a light that switches on when they're being used.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 05, 2012, 02:28:37 pm »

EA gives homophobes the what-for.
Aside from EA's response, RPS does quite a humorous piece.
[snip]... the publisher has confirmed they’ve been on the receiving end of “several thousand” emails and letters protesting the inclusion of LGBT characters and relationship options. Because it’s 1950. Of course EA have, in slightly more polite terms, told these dismal hatemongers to fuck the fuck off.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 05, 2012, 02:30:08 pm »

I'm... not seeing the problem with the google glasses here. In my life, I'd have had more opportunities to make use of this sort of thing in my defense than the number of times it worked against me. Talk about good supporting evidence for the alibi "I was home alone that night not doing anything". And, of course, to record the actions of police officers and others abusing power.

Even if it was always on/instant upload sort of thing, where I could never disable it or erase my trail... yeah, I could only see that to me being less likely to end up in jail. Obviously that's not true for the sort of people who, you know, commit crimes instead of tending to be the victims of crimes that go unprosecuted...

But don't you think justice for Trayvon Martin would have been more likely if we'd somehow gotten footage of his final moments? And hell, if he knew he was being recorded, Zimmerman might have thought twice about killing him, and he might still be alive.

As is, what with it being easy to /take it off/, I see this, like cellphone cameras, being far more likely to empower the common man than to harm him.

Not a great accessory for criminals though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 05, 2012, 02:39:27 pm »

Even if it was always on/instant upload sort of thing, where I could never disable it or erase my trail... yeah, I could only see that to me being less likely to end up in jail. Obviously that's not true for the sort of people who, you know, commit crimes instead of tending to be the victims of crimes that go unprosecuted...

Wonderful, the old "it's okay if the cops can get a warrant to see anything you've ever done, as long as you have nothing to hide" defense.

Works fine as long as long as you're never accused of a crime you haven't committed, or accused of some really minor crime. I don't know if I'd want the police to go through 24/7 footage of my entire life in order to find evidence that I, I don't know, smoked weed or some other ridiculous little thing.

If you want it to actually be empowering, then give the user the unrestricted ability to record, stop recording, and erase recordings at will, without it ever being transmitted to anyone else.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:42:00 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 05, 2012, 02:44:02 pm »

Wonderful, the old "it's okay if the cops can get a warrant to see anything you've ever done, as long as you have nothing to hide" defense.

Works fine as long as long as you're never accused of a crime you haven't committed, or accused of some really minor crime. I don't know if I'd want the police to go through 24/7 footage of my entire life in order to find evidence that I, I don't know, smoked weed or some other ridiculous little thing.

If you want it to actually be empowering, then give the user the unrestricted ability to record, stop recording, and erase recordings at will, without it ever being transmitted to anyone else.

^^
This. Destruction of privacy ahoy.... Same thing if you're framed or set up. O you were at [place].... It can be abused.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #895 on: April 05, 2012, 03:38:12 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/fed-judge-denying-same-sex-benefits-discriminates-140459242.html

A federal judge in san fransisco ruled that denial of insurance rights to same sex married couples is discriminatory. If the anti-gay marriage folk keep up the fight, it could land in the supreme court and the 1996 defense of marriage act could be revoked...
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 05, 2012, 04:12:47 pm »

No, it's "The cops can get a warrant to see everything you've ever done (in person, while wearing this device), and in return you can record everything they do to you (in person, while wearing this device). Also, by the way, volunteering in this program and accepting this tradeoff is completely optional."

I would hope the law would be applied in such a way that warrants could only cover those timespans in which a crime is already suspected to have been committed. It is possible, you know. Fishing trips, in general, are not allowed. (Not that this stops some individuals and organizations, of course...)

It can be abused.
Everything can be abused. There are benefits and drawbacks. Personally, the benefits would outweigh the drawbacks for myself. And everything I've seen indicates your requirements already exist!

Though I should note that while having the ability to not send, and to erase local copies, would be nice, it is worth far less to me, personally, than having the ability to quickly remotely store these recordings in a way that can't be easily deleted.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 05, 2012, 04:24:54 pm »

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=food-poisonings-hidden-legacy
#

I liked my properly regulating FDA and miss it terribly.
We all knew the meat could get you but the freaking cantaloupe ?
O no guys, watch out, we better make sure this....... cantaloupe.... isn't dangerous...... I can't even say it with a straight face. What happened to make vegitables dangerous? People never used to get sick off cantaloupe, or spinach. Who isn't doing what that they used to and how do we get them to do it again?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:56:42 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 05, 2012, 04:34:20 pm »

After watching the video for those glasses, I hate them. I hate how annoyingly hipster the guy was, I hate the "ironic" 70's scfi look, I hate how stupidly over-reliant he was on it.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 05, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »

So you're trying to argue they're going to make these commonplace AND illegal in the way you describe? (always recording, illegal to record stuff) Despite the fact that mandated police recording (by cruisers and taser cams and stuff like that) seems to be even more popular?

Man, you live in an even harsher dystopia than me, don't you...

Or, you know, I could think those sort of laws about recording police are (and I have plenty of establishment support here in a ton of places) completely fucking stupid?

Anyways, yeah, turning it off for only that time could seem suspicious, but that's why we have defense attorney's. Lots of innocent people do lots of "suspicious" (according to the police) things, which is why they end up in court, and then the defense can show why its not really suspicious after all.

I'm sorry, I'm just not getting anything terrible out of what you're saying.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 759