Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1274436 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Expression Thread
« Reply #555 on: March 15, 2012, 06:44:07 pm »

It is satire, they just don't know it. Which makes it the best kind of satire.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 15, 2012, 06:44:20 pm »

I'm guessing that some of it is submitted as satire. Problem is that Andy himself is quite sincere, and he deletes anything he doesn't agree with.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 15, 2012, 06:45:37 pm »

It was started as a serious project by a serious man. Then the trolls came. It's pretty much 50/50* satire/real deal these days.

* = arbitrary numbers chosen randomly.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 15, 2012, 06:50:04 pm »

These days, Conservapedia is basically a giant game of internet espionage-trolling between the actual reactionaries and the horde of people pretending to be like said reactionaries while they all laugh at them while they aren't looking.

There was once a point where Andy's second-hand man was, in fact, someone playing a very impressive long troll.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 15, 2012, 06:50:28 pm »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/southern-miss-band-chants-where-green-card-puerto-205326741.html

As the article says, Puerto Rico is a part of the United States. People there are American Citizens. Thus, no green card is required (a type of immigration paper). Asking where his is, is rude.

...:(

So, Flashlight...?  http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/google-low-tech-security-plan-remove-lightbulbs-193423347.html They'll never see that lone black cable pumping out all the secrets in all that darkness....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:53:10 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 15, 2012, 06:53:55 pm »

In a perfect world, the correct response would be, "Why, right here, in my fist. Why don't I give you a closer look?"

I kid, of course. In a perfect world, such preposterous questions would not be asked.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 15, 2012, 06:54:27 pm »

I'm personally annoyed that nobody gets taught about the US territories in school. 50 states, 50 states, 50 states. I feel like that contributes a lot towards the racism/disrespect.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 15, 2012, 06:54:34 pm »

Yeah it's pretty disgusting.

Nitpick on that article though:
Ignorant ignorance; it's the best kind.
Err, the only kind. Common things misconstrued as ignorance would be delusion and malice.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 15, 2012, 06:55:58 pm »

Joking aside, I agree that Puerto Rico should be a state. I am not even sure why a racist would care, as the United States has not been comprised wholly of a single race in hundreds of years (if it ever has).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:57:56 pm by Fenrir »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 15, 2012, 06:57:31 pm »

MEXICANS TAKIN' OUR JOBS N VOTIN' IN OUR CONGRESS

I think I'll mention it to my rather racist family and see what they have to say. Once I explain the concept of non-state territories and all that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #565 on: March 15, 2012, 07:00:44 pm »

I'm personally annoyed that nobody gets taught about the US territories in school. 50 states, 50 states, 50 states. I feel like that contributes a lot towards the racism/disrespect.
It's not just school, how often do you ever hear about the Commonwealths and territories at all? I would not be surprised to learn that many adults do not even know about them. Heck, I have met people who do not even know the difference between Puerto Rico and Costa Rica.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 15, 2012, 07:15:02 pm »

People mention the Virgin Islands every once in a while, but it's generally only about vacations and fails to make the distinction that some of the islands are owned by the U.K. and some others by the U.S.

Guam is fairly often mentioned for various reasons, but it isn't immediately obvious to a lot of people that the U.S. owns that too.

America Samoa gets a little attention, but not much.

The Northern Mariana Islands, on the other hand, are the forever alone of U.S. territory.

There's also Wake, Midway, and the other minor pacific islands that have been uninhabited for a while now, but those hardly count.

Not many people know that the U.S. used to own the Philippines as well.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #567 on: March 15, 2012, 07:24:55 pm »

I'd say that after Guam and Puerto Rico, Midway and Wake are the most mentioned US territories. Wake often gets overshadowed by Pearl Harbor, but Midway is certainly well known. They're also both astoundingly beautiful

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 15, 2012, 07:50:43 pm »

Of course, historically, we almost annexed Nicaragua and Cuba and made them states. Thing is, Puerto Rico is likely to become the last state, until Newt gets his way with the moon base- we simply don't have any other territories that are big enough to even think about qualifying. Well, there's DC...but since it's full of black people and is very heavily Democratic-leaning, it'll have to wait until the Republicans start languishing in obscurity.

Assuming, of course, that a small clan of reactionary Kiwis don't get their way.

Off the top of my head, too, I can think of the various following proposals for the 51st state that have been floated at one time or another: Québec; Long Island; the east coast of Maryland; Jefferson (almost became a reality!); the upper peninsula of Michigan; Taiwan; and Albania.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:57:10 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 15, 2012, 07:54:35 pm »

What is this? New Zealand belongs to us, like an angsty teenager we let think have his own way just because it is easier at the time than sending him to his room. And don't let any rabbits tell you otherwise!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 759