Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Vote Mafia 8 (12/13) - Night 1: Trouble  (Read 33626 times)

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: Vote Mafia 8 (13/13) - Day 1: Start
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2012, 08:21:39 pm »

Penngo:
I wouldn't know who I would want to nightkill until night actually came. I really thought that would be obvious.
What is obvious is that your failure is complete. Three questions. You failed to answer any of them at all. This tells me you are afraid of being found out, too shifty about committing to anything that may be seen as scummy. Therefore, you are scum, Penngo.

Pranz:
Pranz: you failed to answer my question.
Something that strengthens relative to the votes on me. Like auto-selfvote, me being able to redirect their votes on my target.
You are approaching similar levels of failure. Read the linked post again. You will notice it had two questions, which I asked you to answer. You answered only the first one. Why?

Tolyk:
Just a note for the future, I'll be hopping off any bandwagons/masslynches due to my ability not having use after the person's lynched... :P
I find your admittance of this at the present stage of the game suspicious. It as good as tells people that you will not really vote to lynch them, so they can disregard your vote entirely. How do you think that will impact pressure you try to apply on people? Also, if you think the person about to hang is really scum, why would you worry whether your ability was lost or not, as long as it caught scum?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Vote Report
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2012, 10:05:01 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
Dariush -
Toaster - TolyK,
Jim Groovester -
NativeForeigner - Toaster,
Urist_McArathos - Leafsnail,
TolyK -
Bookthras - penngo009,
_DivideByZero_ -
penngo009 - Bookthras,
Caz -
Shakerag -
Pranz -
Leafsnail -
No Lynch -

Not Voting - Jim Groovester, NativeForeigner, _DivideByZero_, Caz, Urist_McArathos, Shakerag, Pranz, Dariush,

Extension -
Shorten -

7 To Hammer. Day Ends Wednesday 9 PM Central. 3 To Extend. 7 To Shorten.

Day Extended to Wednesday.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:51:28 pm by webadict »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2012, 01:40:39 am »

Why exactly do you rolefiiiiI mean care and how exactly can I give an exact name if I may consider the named guy scum later?

You mean once you say someone is town or scum, you're forced to commit to it until the end of the game? What a needlessly harsh stance to hold yourself to.

I know people change their mind if there are reasons that provoke a change. Just answer the question.

And seriously, rolefishing?

Just a note for the future, I'll be hopping off any bandwagons/masslynches due to my ability not having use after the person's lynched... :P

Do explain.

But, either way, I'm not voting until I'm nearly certain someone is town or scum due to my ... interesting vote power.

What's whether somebody's town got to do with your vote?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2012, 12:50:23 pm »

Jim:
Do explain.

Really? He just explained that his ability loses effect after the person is lynched. What else do you want to know? It seems to me you are asking about specifics too much. Together with asking triple-voters to claim earlier, it's starting to sound to me like you are looking for targets for your nightkill.

I found Tolyk's admission suspicious, and I asked him about his motivations, but I didn't ask him to explain what the ability does. It's fine to play one's cards close to one's chest, and it's scummy of you to try to talk people into showing them this early.

A couple of questions for you, please: what do you think of Penngo's failure at answering questions? If you had a power that turned off when your target was lynched, would you claim it D1? Do you have a read on Toaster or Leafsnail yet?

DivideByZero, Caz: Please contribute more, and give your opinions on Penngo & Tolyk. Also, if you were a triple-voter, would you claim it D1?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2012, 12:56:54 pm »

Extend I guess...

Tolyk:
I find your admittance of this at the present stage of the game suspicious. It as good as tells people that you will not really vote to lynch them, so they can disregard your vote entirely. How do you think that will impact pressure you try to apply on people? Also, if you think the person about to hang is really scum, why would you worry whether your ability was lost or not, as long as it caught scum?
That's... not something I thought about really. It still pressures (who I think is) scum since they don't know how powerful the effect is (:P), though.
Do explain.
I don't quite want to roleclaim fully, but I have a vote-based ability that wouldn't make sense to have after a person died...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2012, 01:59:07 pm »

But, either way, I'm not voting until I'm nearly certain someone is town or scum due to my ... interesting vote power.

What's whether somebody's town got to do with your vote?

I would have assumed that it was obvious, based on my wording, but to spell it out for you, depending on how I vote it can have a positive or a negative effect on whom I'm voting. 

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2012, 04:30:52 pm »

DivideByZero, Caz: Please contribute more, and give your opinions on Penngo & Tolyk. Also, if you were a triple-voter, would you claim it D1?

Tolyk seems to have an interesting role. Unsure of whether town or scum. Penngo doesn't seem to answer questions very diligently, but I'm unsure whether it's due to him being evasive or just careless. If I was a triple voter, I wouldn't claim. I don't see the benefits to roleclaiming early.

I'm busy at the Cheltenham festival this week so will only be able to check here 1-2x a day. If that's not enough, feel free to replace me.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2012, 05:27:51 pm »

Regarding Tolyk: I'm not quite sure about what kinds of roles we have, but perhaps he has something where he gets a target and must protect the target? In that case he would probably be town, but the other target could be a scum as well, so they'd be scumbuddies.

Regarding Triple Voters: No, not without doctors in this game mode.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2012, 08:18:03 pm »

Shall I arm the prod cannon?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2012, 10:14:42 pm »

Several (three I saw, 7, 4, and... 5?) had Secret roles who didn't know what they had.  Hated is the same genre of role modifier, so why not?
Not really?  Secret would still be just one role, right?

Hm.  Urist_McArathos, please demonstrate splitting your vote.  I'm pretty sure that's possible.

I don't quite want to roleclaim fully, but I have a vote-based ability that wouldn't make sense to have after a person died...
I don't see why you need to say this.  Surely you should either keep it quiet and not let the mafia know or claim it if you think it's gonna cause huge friction.  This halfway house is uninformative to town and would still potentially mark you as a target.  As well as essentially throwing away the pressure of your vote since everyone knows you're not trying to lynch people.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2012, 10:36:35 pm »

Leaf:  I guess it comes down to semantics.

Shakerag:  If the fact that there's so little to go on is what's stopping you from hunting, why aren't you going out and shaking trees?

penngo009, Caz, Urist_McArathos:  What's the scummiest thing you've seen so far, and why aren't you voting the person who said it?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2012, 02:41:49 am »

Really? He just explained that his ability loses effect after the person is lynched. What else do you want to know? It seems to me you are asking about specifics too much. Together with asking triple-voters to claim earlier, it's starting to sound to me like you are looking for targets for your nightkill.

I found Tolyk's admission suspicious, and I asked him about his motivations, but I didn't ask him to explain what the ability does. It's fine to play one's cards close to one's chest, and it's scummy of you to try to talk people into showing them this early.

If people are going to obliquely mention their role as an explanation for their actions, I see no problem with asking for a little more detail to see that their reasoning behind their decision is sound.

And it's one thing answering a question about which roles should claim on Day 1 (which I did do), and an entirely different thing to ask roles to claim (which I did not do). Why are you misrepresenting my actions, Bookthras?

A couple of questions for you, please: what do you think of Penngo's failure at answering questions? If you had a power that turned off when your target was lynched, would you claim it D1? Do you have a read on Toaster or Leafsnail yet?

In order:

Failing to answer questions is fairly typical for penngo009, having played a few games with him. It'd be nice if he could, but, well, he's not there yet. What are you going to do? I guess lynch him, if your name is Bookthras.

If my power was helpful, I'd claim so that people would understand why I'm not voting my top suspect. If my power wasn't very helpful, I don't think I would care very much and I don't think I would claim or even change my vote. I was in a Vote Mafia where I was forced to do a similar thing: I gave votes to the people I was voting, making it counterproductive to vote targets that were about to be lynched and even worse if my suspects were not about to get lynched. I claimed to explain what I was doing, that I wanted to give votes to people I thought were town.

No. There's nothing I've seen from them that makes me wary as of yet.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2012, 08:10:13 am »

This is bad Dariush.  It's like you're unwilling to give an answer to a simple question because you're worried about being caught in a contradiction later.
Uh, contradiction? The question is on the level of 'whom would you kill tonight'. No matter how I answer, it would be possible to twist it using WIFOM.
You mean once you say someone is town or scum, you're forced to commit to it until the end of the game? What a needlessly harsh stance to hold yourself to.
I didn't say that. I said that I can't give a definite answer this early in the game and even if I could, no matter how I would've answered, it would be possible to twist it using WIFOM.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2012, 10:06:58 am »

PFP:

In regards to my claim helping scum: arguably it does, but I feel it also helps town.  Double voter being less critical, and my hated role making it possible to tie without realizing it makes me feel it helps town more than it hurts.

Leafsnail: sure.  Leafsnail Urist McArathos Mod, votecount please

Toaster: proper answer tonight after reread at my computer.  I'm not voting them because I've been busy and neglecting this forum.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2012, 12:21:47 pm »

If my power was helpful, I'd claim so that people would understand why I'm not voting my top suspect. If my power wasn't very helpful, I don't think I would care very much and I don't think I would claim or even change my vote. I was in a Vote Mafia where I was forced to do a similar thing: I gave votes to the people I was voting, making it counterproductive to vote targets that were about to be lynched and even worse if my suspects were not about to get lynched. I claimed to explain what I was doing, that I wanted to give votes to people I thought were town.

This seems sensible to me.  I am a Permanent Fairy Voter

Dariush: Your answers have felt dodgy so far, and you must be a waiter, because it looks like you're showing everyone the wine list.  Any good reason why you haven't been tossing accusations of hircine copulation about?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12