Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Hammertime - Here Comes the Hammer [Game Over]  (Read 45130 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Hammertime - Here Comes the Hammer [Game Over]
« Reply #225 on: March 24, 2012, 08:54:10 pm »

Perhaps that's why Web runs his games on semi-hammers.  I might give that a shot for Roguelike 4, which is likely to be my next game.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: Hammertime - Let's Get It Started [Day 3]
« Reply #226 on: March 24, 2012, 08:55:05 pm »

Well, gonna have to say that I didn't see that one coming. 
I obviously need more town practice, and to not join games right before particularly busy times.

Jim, I'm never going to believe you when you say you're busy from now on.  :P

Hhhm, I'm not sure what to think.  It would definitely have been fun to play as scum, but I think that it just dragged on waaaay too long.  And as Jim just said, it makes it too easy too lurk.

More roles might have helped even things out a little, but overall hammer mafias aren't looking too good.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 24, 2012, 08:57:41 pm »

Also, Bookthras gets points for calling Jim correctly as scum around N1.

I kept it role-light since it was a proof-of-concept for a pure hammer game.   If you want to see a role-heavy hammer game, go check Pandar's uPick in the archive.  It's a pretty epic game regardless, with legendary performances by Zai and Org.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 24, 2012, 09:49:30 pm »

Also, Bookthras gets points for calling Jim correctly as scum around N1.

Yeah! I totally called it! And called the Jim-will-hammer-the-townie-on-lylo end too. Fun game, but it was much too lurky at the start; glad to see it picked up later (but only because townies were being voted). Also, needed more puns! Toaster, you are the puntastic punmeister of the punners, why so dry this time?

Good game scum! The town never had a thing on you. Not a frickin' thing. You utterly dominated. That roleblocking of OrangeBottle was the cherry-on-top, adding insult to injury. Good show.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:51:07 pm by Bookthras »
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 24, 2012, 10:18:25 pm »

I had a feeling that Jim would turn out to be scum, but Andrew was just too much for me to ignore.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 24, 2012, 10:34:42 pm »

Yeah! I totally called it! And called the Jim-will-hammer-the-townie-on-lylo end too.

But it was zombie urist who hammered!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 24, 2012, 11:34:43 pm »

I had a feeling that Jim would turn out to be scum, but Andrew was just too much for me to ignore.
Honestly, I felt that his claim justified his vanilla townness. Also it was partly this claim that made me not bother roleblocking you two.

Whats the flavor text for the doctor?

Urist McUselessNoble, why did you just leave the game?  :(
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 24, 2012, 11:50:20 pm »

By request:

Scum:
The two of you are behind the theft of the Golden Hammer.  You have a personal vendetta against several of the sponsors, so you want the award ceremony to fail in any way possible.  You figured stealing the Golden Hammer (it’s easy to hide things in parachute pants) was the best way to do it.  Sadly, you were seen- but no one knows *which* of you nine did it.  Convince everyone it was the others, and you’ll be free!

The lights have been flickering, and you think you can knock people out in the night.  Get rid of enough of the others, and you should be able to escape.

Jim Groovester:  (Mafioso)

You have no abilities- your only weapon is your wits.

Zombie Urist:  (Roleblocker)

You have extra-baggy pants.  You’ll be able to trip up one other person in the night, and they will be unable to perform any action that night.

You may discuss your plot here:  http://www.quicktopic.com/47/H/jrnBNmvRWGC

You win when you equal or outnumber the innocents.

OB:
You’re the center dancer of the group, so your parachute pants are twice the size of anyone else.  You can throw them around someone to protect them should the lights go out again.  No one will be able to, say, sneak up to them and bash them upside the head.

You win when the thieves are eliminated.

Book:  I wasn't really feeling it this time- sorry!

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2012, 12:39:21 am »

New policy: when I feel weird about Jim anybody, make sure they die before LYLO.
New policy2: The first person to vote at LYLO in a hammers game is almost guaranteed to be scum.

My initial reaction to scumchat: WHAT THE FUCK HOW DID URIST KNOW I WAS THE DOCTOR?!

Great work, scumteam. You could've given us a chance, tho.

My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2012, 12:53:49 am »

New policy: when I feel weird about Jim anybody, make sure they die before LYLO.
Always a good rule, in any game, as long as you can make it stick.

New policy2: The first person to vote at LYLO in a hammers game is almost guaranteed to be scum.
That's actually quite often true, but not always. Scum are eager to capitalise their advantage and make the game be over, yes... but on the other hand, if no one votes it devolves into endless lurkiness. But yes, that first eager vote on lylo was a clear scumtell from zombie, but your FoS of Andrew earlier was just as scummy (oh, why Fos instead of vote? You just don't want to vote because voting at lylo means you're scuuum!!)... as with all "scumtells" these are not enough for certainty; it may just be an overanxious townie, and if you vote them, you lose. You have to read their intention behind the vote/Fos/lack-thereof.

My initial reaction to scumchat: WHAT THE FUCK HOW DID URIST KNOW I WAS THE DOCTOR?!
I had spoilspec, and I was just as puzzled as you. How in the hell did they manage to block the only town power role every night? Good play, scum, good play.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2012, 01:55:56 am »

I was astounded by the amount of guesswork here. Scum > Orangebottle block.

Spoilspecs are fun, though the scum had it in the bag right before LYLO due to the past day's actions.
I had spoilspec, and I was just as puzzled as you. How in the hell did they manage to block the only town power role every night? Good play, scum, good play.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2012, 02:10:21 am »

My gut told me to protect Dariush last night, too. I ended up trying to Protect Native both nights, I think.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 25, 2012, 03:58:07 am »

Cons of the hammer games:
- Allows lurking;
- Allows such scumwins, which additionally depend on coordination (coordination in a forum game, my ass);
- Allows accidental hammering;
- Discourages hammering suspicious people for fear of a mislynch;
Pros:
- Uuuuuh... 'Hammering' sounds awesome?

Verdict: let's please forget about this clusterfuck and never ever do it again.

BTW, why did you pick me to kill?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2012, 02:02:41 pm »

Explanation of my thoughts and actions.
D1:
This post made it pretty obvious IMO that Andrew and Native were both vanilla town.
McUselessNoble's behavior in early D1 didn't match his behavior in politibastard, so I thought he was hiding something. Luckily he was scummy enough so Jim and I were able to convince town to lynch him.

N1:
Killed Phantom because he didn't post enough so i could get a read and it didn't look like he was getting a replace and we needed people to vote.
At this point, possible candidates for roleblocking were OB, Dariush, and Penngo. Penngo was dead set on Native, for reasons he still hasn't explained, and wouldn't provide any useful information if he inspected/vigged/tracked him. I doubted he would protect Phantom. Dariush's behavior was pretty consistent from BMXXX, so I didn't think he was a power role. That left Orangebottle.

D2:
Went perfectly. A town was lynched and Andrew looked somewhat scummy which I knew someone would mention.

N2:
At this point, only possible candidates for night actions were Dariush and OB. Since we lynched Penngo, there was no reason to keep Dariush in the game so we killed him. It was necessary to keep OB and Native to do the Andrew lynch.

D3: We pretty much won going into LyLo since it would require all 3 town voting the same way, and there was already OB/Native against Andrew. Wasn't planning on doing a quickhammer, so I tried to pressure OB to vote. Most likely scenarios (IMO) at this point:
1. OB + Native votes for Andrew, Jim or I hammer => win.
2. Push OB too hard, OB votes me, Native + Jim votes Andrew, OB or I hammer Andrew => win.
3. Andrew votes OB, Jim hammers => win.
It ended up not mattering, but the quickhammering wasn't very satisfying.

Conclusion: I had no reason to suspect that OB had a power role, but he was the most logical person to use a roleblock on.

Here's the scumchat from Wild West Mafia. Very useful information by Jim. 

Thoughts about the game in general:
Lurking is actually a reasonably viable strategy in such a game. If OB had voted Andrew in D3, I probably would have lurked until Native did too.
I think everyone lost interest at some point on D1.  :(
Didn't know Tiurin was getting a spoilspec and was wondering why he didn't replace in.
Hammering/Hammertime is totally a pun.
I really want to play town once.
Good game everyone!
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 25, 2012, 03:09:17 pm »

In a hammers game, don't vote at lylo unless you're absolutely 100% sure you're voting scum (or you think your mind can't be changed.. either way, not immediately).  That really is all there is to say on the matter.  If townies just don't vote until they're sure then the townies actually gain an advantage (if you vote for the right person then the lack of a quickhammer means that either you or them have to be scum).

I'm not sure how hammers "discourage lynching people".  I mean, surely there's an equal chance of mislynching someone in a deadline game (and probably more chance to lurk, since you can lurk through day 1 and have some random townie lynched on 2 votes).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:11:51 pm by Leafsnail »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17