Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The ‼Science‼ of 2-handed swords  (Read 11181 times)

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The ‼Science‼ of 2-handed swords
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 06:56:36 pm »

Really there are no 2 handed weapons just creatures unable wield a certain weapons in one hand.  Also as far as I know the only thing that effects how well a creature can use a weapon is their size (though strength improves damage for all attacks and affects most combat skills).

For example 2h swords require size 62,500 to be used at all and are a 2 handed weapon for creatures under 77,500.  Humans are size 70,000 so they use it 2-handed while dwarfs are size 60,000 so the can't use it.  Note that the minimum size (to use not to wield 2 handed) restriction may or may not apply to adventurers.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:58:45 pm by friendguy13 »
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 07:08:32 pm »

Just giving my anecdotal experience here, but the difference between 1 handing vs. 2 handing a 2-handed weapon is sizable.

Like, my above average strength adventurer went from damaging soft tissue or occasionally breaking bone when head shotting.....to decapping or destroying the brain in one swing. I'd know I'd forgotten to empty my offhand when successful head shots weren't immediately lethal.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 07:19:15 pm »

Just giving my anecdotal experience here, but the difference between 1 handing vs. 2 handing a 2-handed weapon is sizable.

Like, my above average strength adventurer went from damaging soft tissue or occasionally breaking bone when head shotting.....to decapping or destroying the brain in one swing. I'd know I'd forgotten to empty my offhand when successful head shots weren't immediately lethal.

This implies that there is a damage, attribute(for attacking only)and/or weapon skill debuff.  In addition to or in place of the accuracy debuff I theorized.
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 09:24:56 pm »

Old news but back before the materiel update Toady himself stated that it just divides all the attack calculations by 2 when a weapon needs to be wielded two handed and only one hand is available.  I've pretty much just been assuming that was still the case, but it's good to see actual ‼SCIENCE‼ confirm it.  But one little question still bugs me.

What about ranged weapons?  Crossbows don't need 2 hands anymore (the TWO_HANDED:0 no longer seems to force multigrasp anymore) but it is still possible to mod in a two handed crossbow.  I'm sure they suffer penalties as bashing weapons, but do they suffer penalties when used as a ranged weapon?

Since I'm a modder I decided to try to answer my own question.
Since quivers can't be added to arena mode, it is impossible to spawn ranged combatants with a multigrasp crossbow, so I did this.
Spoiler: Vanilla Crossbow (click to show/hide)

I then threw two teams of 10 humans, each spaced 2 tiles apart to allow any accuracy reduction to play a part and let them go at it.   I'm pretty much going to do multiple rounds of the same setup.
10 humans w/ vanilla crossbow and 100 iron bolts vs. 10 humans w/ two handed crossbow and 100 iron bolts.

Trial1: Test crossbow wins with 8 survivors
Trial2: Vanilla crossbow with 9 survivors
Trial3: Vanilla Crossbow with 9 survivors
Trial4: Vanilla crossbow with 9 survivors
Trial5: Vanilla Crossbow with 5 survivors

So it's looking like multigrasp has an effect there too.  Trial 1 is odd, but I can't think of an explanation.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:03:59 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 11:03:32 pm »

The OP would indicate to me that having a shield might be the deciding factor.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 11:20:39 pm »

I wonder how armor would affect these results? After all, a two-handed sword would have more force behind the swing, and might be able to penetrate armor easier.  Perhaps I'll test this when I have the time.
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 01:29:50 am »

I will test scimitars Vs. 2H swords tomorrow and maybe some other things.

huhwhozat

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels mysterious construction: taken by mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 03:02:51 am »

This is intriguing to me as I had previously run similar tests with Dwarven combatants. (Running vanilla 0.31.25)

For these tests, all skills were set to Competent in Sword, Shield, Armor, Dodging, Fighting:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perhaps my results were anomalous?  I did not do multiple runs of the tests.  If Strength does make a difference in the attack power, arena Dwarves should be able to swing their 2H-swords better than Humans, but I would think the reduced Agility would have resulted in more accurate strikes which should have led to the unarmored team being sliced to ribbons.  Unless the iron armor reduced the Dwarves' speed so much that the unarmored team was able to get in extra attacks.

Regardless, I'd like to see you run some tests with other races, for the !!Science!!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:08:05 am by huhwhozat »
        Did you sense a disturbance in the dwarf?
        edit: ... as if millions of kittens suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.
        edit2: I fear something delicious has happened.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 12:09:08 pm »

This is intriguing to me as I had previously run similar tests with Dwarven combatants. (Running vanilla 0.31.25)

For these tests, all skills were set to Competent in Sword, Shield, Armor, Dodging, Fighting:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perhaps my results were anomalous?  I did not do multiple runs of the tests.  If Strength does make a difference in the attack power, arena Dwarves should be able to swing their 2H-swords better than Humans, but I would think the reduced Agility would have resulted in more accurate strikes which should have led to the unarmored team being sliced to ribbons.  Unless the iron armor reduced the Dwarves' speed so much that the unarmored team was able to get in extra attacks.

Regardless, I'd like to see you run some tests with other races, for the !!Science!!

In 0.31.25 arena/adventure mode I believe you were capable of wielding a bazillion items at once -- basically, the one thing per hand rule, or whatever rule approximately boils down to one thing per hand in most situations, was largely unenforced. At least, that seemed to be my experience. Maybe I'm mixed up because I used to (r)emove further weapons/etc. from my backpack in 0.31.25 but don't bother doing so as often in 0.34.x? I thought I noticed some specific difference in what I was allowed to do in this area when I first started playing 0.34.01, but now I can't remember well enough to be certain. Can anyone else comment as to whether you really had to devote one hand to each item/weapon or else two hands to a two-handed one in 0.31.25 and whether you have to now?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 12:11:17 pm »

Unless the iron armor reduced the Dwarves' speed so much that the unarmored team was able to get in extra attacks.

Yeah I've seen this result occur before, it's typical of test subjects with no/low armor user skill - the armor often slows them down more than it's worth. A better test (although more annoying to set up) is to give all combatants good combat skills, it's more representative of how your ingame dwarves, whether it's fortress or adventure mode, are likely to perform.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 01:08:26 pm »

What about 15 w/ 2H + shields vs 15 w/ 2H (no shields)?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 03:09:40 pm »

What about 15 w/ 2H + shields vs 15 w/ 2H (no shields)?

Just finished the tests they are in the op.

Edit just finished testing scimitars.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:22:38 pm by friendguy13 »

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 03:36:13 pm »

Just ran a quick group of tests of 15 on 15. Shields were wooden (mangrove I believe) to reduce speed decrease from weight. Featherwood would have been a better bet, but since there weren't many shield bashes in the logs and the weight is already pretty low I doubt that changing it would have made much of a difference anyway.

First test (No skill humans)
15 humans each with an iron two handed sword vs 15 humans each with an iron two handed sword and a shield.
Result: 12 survivors on the shieldless team.

Second test (Grandmaster fighter, dodger, swordsman and shield user for all combatants)
15 humans each with an iron two handed sword vs 15 humans each with an iron two handed sword and a shield
Result: 11 survivors on the shieldless team.

Even with a shield to block AND the skill to use it, it seems that there is no point to wielding multigrasp weapons with one hand

Edit: Reran the final test with featherwood shields and iron shields. Featherwood showed no change in results, iron ended with 14 shieldless, multigraspers alive.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:41:01 pm by Shinotsa »
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 03:57:22 pm »

Just ran a quick group of tests of 15 on 15. Shields were wooden (mangrove I believe) to reduce speed decrease from weight. Featherwood would have been a better bet, but since there weren't many shield bashes in the logs and the weight is already pretty low I doubt that changing it would have made much of a difference anyway.

First test (No skill humans)
15 humans each with an iron two handed sword vs 15 humans each with an iron two handed sword and a shield.
Result: 12 survivors on the shieldless team.

Second test (Grandmaster fighter, dodger, swordsman and shield user for all combatants)
15 humans each with an iron two handed sword vs 15 humans each with an iron two handed sword and a shield
Result: 11 survivors on the shieldless team.

Even with a shield to block AND the skill to use it, it seems that there is no point to wielding multigrasp weapons with one hand

Edit: Reran the final test with featherwood shields and iron shields. Featherwood showed no change in results, iron ended with 14 shieldless, multigraspers alive.

Thank you I have added your results.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 08:16:27 pm »

PTW, 2handed weapon science is really bugging me :|

PTW?!?!?!?!1/?1/???!11?
Post to watch

You know you can just click Notify for this, right?

Also, to get somewhat reliable results, and to be properly science'ey, do every type of test 20 times. :9
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4