Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The ‼Science‼ of 2-handed swords  (Read 11184 times)

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The ‼Science‼ of 2-handed swords
« on: February 28, 2012, 04:08:24 pm »

I just did some tests in arena mode.  The creatures used were humans and all items were iron.

15 with 2-handed swords and shields Vs. 15 with short swords and shields Result short swords win with 13 survivors

13 with 2-handed swords and shields Vs. 13 with long swords and shields Result long swords win with 11 survivors

15 with 2-handed swords Vs. 15 with long swords Result 2-handed swords win with 7 survivors

15 with 2-handed swords Vs. 15 with short swords Result 2-handed swords win with 9 survivors

These results suggest 2-handed swords do get a debuff when wielded with other items.

Edit: other's results
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: New tests

20 with 2-handed swords Vs. 20 with long swords and shields  Result long swords and shields win with 12 survivors

15 with 2-handed swords Vs. 15 with short swords and shields Result short swords and shields win with 12 survivors

15 with 2-handed swords Vs. 15 with scimitars Result scimitars win with 11 survivors

15 with 2-handed swords and shields Vs. 15 with scimitars  and shields Result scimitars and shields win with 10 survivors

15 with 2-handed swords Vs. 15 with scimitars  and shields Result 2-handed swords win with 6 survivors
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:55:44 pm by friendguy13 »
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

Joey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The ‼Science‼ of 2-handed swords
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:15:13 pm »

Interesting indeed! Thanks for this. I also just realized two handed swords exist...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:23:32 pm »

I was wondering. A two-handed sword wielded one-handed is basically an extra big bastard sword. So it's reasonable to me that you do a lot less damage swinging it one-handed.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 04:26:42 pm »

I was wondering. A two-handed sword wielded one-handed is basically an extra big bastard sword. So it's reasonable to me that you do a lot less damage swinging it one-handed.

That was what everyone expected but I read that no one had tried prove it yet.  Also scimitars need to be tested against 2-handed swords but I am too busy right now.
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 04:36:43 pm »

PTW, 2handed weapon science is really bugging me :|

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:42:16 pm »

PTW?!?!?!?!1/?1/???!11?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 05:04:29 pm »

PTW?!?!?!?!1/?1/???!11?
Post to watch

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:05:47 pm »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 05:17:19 pm »

How did you make them use the two handed swords multigrasp? Mine used them one-handed.

Between, 15 twohanded sword humans x 15 long sword +shield humans = 3 two handed sword survivors

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 05:25:58 pm »

How did you make them use the two handed swords multigrasp? Mine used them one-handed.

Between, 15 twohanded sword humans x 15 long sword +shield humans = 3 two handed sword survivors

They should use multigrasp automatically.  Maybe the one(s) you looked at had a lost or damaged hand or are holding something else.  Also I will put any info others gather in the op.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 05:43:27 pm »

They should use multigrasp automatically.  Maybe the one(s) you looked at had a lost or damaged hand or are holding something else.  Also I will put any info others gather in the op.

Indeed. So two handed sword should be even better when using multigrasp than other swords, as the tests we made are without armors and certainly they would have one of their arms damaged.

well, had another test and this one doesn't make sense: 15 two handed vs 15 short sword+ shield = 11 short sword survivors

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 05:53:26 pm »

There are few more factors to consider:  Creature size vs. weapon size.  Were you using dwarves or humans for this test?  Strength.  All arena mode creatures have average strength for their race. Heavier weapons are said (Rumor? Scienced?) to require more strength to use to their full potential.  So if you had very strong fighters, your results might be reversed. 

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 06:00:10 pm »

All subjects were humans.

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 06:13:06 pm »

Also since this was arena all of their sizes and attributes should have been the same disregarding the negligible impact of stats gained during the fighting and in my tests at least all combatants started with no skills.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 06:21:17 pm »

that is intresting, but what I really would like to know is how much better are two-handed axes than regular axes and shields (if two handed axes exist I don't rember, don't use 'em) and how two handed sword weilders do compared to one shield one battle axe. Also I think Grackle is right, twohanded weapons need more strength to use better,no?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4