Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2254107 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9300 on: October 21, 2013, 09:38:21 pm »

I'm sorry if this has been brought up already, but I think I have an idea to explain the Sequiv. If you'll permit me...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9301 on: October 21, 2013, 09:45:35 pm »

I leave for two days. TWO DAYS.
And the best thing to happen to this thread... well, happens.

SBII will be the best god-damned thing in the history of god-damned things.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9302 on: October 21, 2013, 10:34:32 pm »

@Baffler:

I don't like that explanation. It's stupid. Okay, that's going a little far, but I just woke up from an unscheduled nap and am both disoriented and very grumpy, so bear with me for a moment.

Ahem...

Spoiler: Rant Warning (click to show/hide)

Ahh, it's good to be back.

Anyways, I'd promised myself I'd try to be more open to others' ideas this time, but I just don't like this one, sorry :(  You're free to defend your idea if you think I've misunderstood something, though.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9303 on: October 21, 2013, 11:03:25 pm »

I'm sorry if this has been brought up already, but I think I have an idea to explain the Sequiv. If you'll permit me...

@Baffler:

I don't like that explanation. It's stupid. Okay, that's going a little far, but I just woke up from an unscheduled nap and am both disoriented and very grumpy, so bear with me for a moment.

Ahem...

Spoiler: Rant Warning (click to show/hide)

Ahh, it's good to be back.

Anyways, I'd promised myself I'd try to be more open to others' ideas this time, but I just don't like this one, sorry :(  You're free to defend your idea if you think I've misunderstood something, though.

I believe he was saying that they simply are so advanced that they don't realize that the people of Everoc are sentient or civilized since their notion of "sentience" and "civilized" is based on a culture which is so advanced.

I feel I worded that badly, but I'm typing 1:01 in morning because of no sleep. I'll clarify after you guys leave your criticism and questions so I can answer in one post.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9304 on: October 21, 2013, 11:37:33 pm »

@TalonisWolf:

I'm not sure how I feel about that one. There are indeed many historical examples of human colonists viewing less-advanced natives as sub-human, but this feels a lot more extreme -- like they're failing to even acknowledge that the humans/etc. are sentient, which comes off as a glaring lapse in judgement. And it also falls into the trap of treating the entire species as absolutely-monolithic -- I'd think that at least some seqivet would sympathise with the 'lesser' creatures even if they were too afraid to voice it.

I'm not entirely-averse to this particular interpretation, but I still like my idea better (because, to put it bluntly, I'm an egocentric dickhead).
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9305 on: October 22, 2013, 06:10:40 am »

This goes with the "Some are dicks, some aren't" version quite nicely. Group A wants to just do their thing and not have other races suffer/get involved in any capacity besides maybe trade.

Group B is a bunch of high and mighty pricks who view everyone else as less than their own race and are willing to cut them down for the slightest thing/to get at things that they might want or need, while veiwing Group A as a bunch of bleeding hearts that care a little too much about the savages and have no stomach for a fight when one is deemed needed. Group B is also probably the vengeful sorts of the populous.

Group C is the "leave us out of your arguments" silent/not really vocal majority, simply trying to go about their day. If they feel fighting the various critters such as dwarves or humans will be worth it (say to get a few metric fucktons of raw materials they need for their tools and such,) then they'll fight but otherwise like Group A would much prefer keeping to themselves, and interaction with other races to a minimum.

Group A and B are essentially the extremes, with A being our equivalent to animal rights people (that paints them as dicks still don't it? :P) and B being full blown "FUCK EVERYTHING" and willing to kick the utter shit out of anything and everything for whatever reason (revenge for some of their fellows, resources, or if the Seqivet don't frown upon slavery, even beating down and subjugating them; after all, they don't seem like the types to work underground for long periods of time.) This group may also count generally belligerent jerks looking to cause trouble for the sake of causing trouble, much like manamaids who go out looking for fights because they find it fun.

I dunno. I just woke up so some of that may lose cohesion or sound repetitive.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9306 on: October 22, 2013, 02:12:13 pm »

@TalonisWolf:

I'm not sure how I feel about that one. There are indeed many historical examples of human colonists viewing less-advanced natives as sub-human, but this feels a lot more extreme -- like they're failing to even acknowledge that the humans/etc. are sentient, which comes off as a glaring lapse in judgement. And it also falls into the trap of treating the entire species as absolutely-monolithic -- I'd think that at least some seqivet would sympathise with the 'lesser' creatures even if they were too afraid to voice it.

I'm not entirely-averse to this particular interpretation, but I still like my idea better (because, to put it bluntly, I'm an egocentric dickhead).

Went back through and found your idea(s), and I agree with you. When I posted, my Ipad would only load the last page of the thread(retrospect:should've waited to learn more. This is MY FAULT for pure idiocy.

However, I wasn't saying your idea was bad, just that perhaps your interpretation of Baffler's idea wasn't what he was trying to say.

Also, on that: I was trying to say that they are so intelligent that they look at us like we'd look at a monkey-smart, we'd still "eliminate" them for timber or cropland. Again, my fault for bad wording.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9307 on: October 22, 2013, 02:18:27 pm »

This may just confuse everyone even further, but once more, if you'll permit me...

I do admit that I'm not quite as enthusiastic about the idea as I was when I first posted it, and am certainly not expecting people to just go along with this. I just don't think I explained it adequately above, but I still do stand by the idea.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:21:44 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9308 on: October 22, 2013, 02:43:21 pm »

So how do they communicate? Vocial, mental, what?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9309 on: October 22, 2013, 03:32:30 pm »

I think he's implying they communicate through pheromones?

EDIT:@Baffler

Don't take any of this personally, Mr.Frog just wants the best for his brainRAWs(brainchild as well?).

HellSpearbreakers, that applies to everyone in this thread, if you really think about it. The !!FUN!! has captured ourhearts dwarfiness.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:11:45 pm by TalonisWolf »
GENERATION 32:

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9310 on: October 22, 2013, 03:41:20 pm »

Allright. Makes some sense, humans even communicate that way to an extent.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9311 on: October 22, 2013, 10:41:19 pm »

I think he's implying they communicate through pheromones?

EDIT:@Baffler

Don't take any of this personally, Mr.Frog just wants the best for his brainRAWs(brainchild as well?).

HellSpearbreakers, that applies to everyone in this thread, if you really think about it. The !!FUN!! has captured ourhearts dwarfiness.

This is really sweet. And I'm not even being sarcastic --

WAIT.

Mr.Frog
Mr.Frog

E: On-topic... There are other cues besides language that a species is sentient. I don't see why the seqivet wouldn't notice other obvious evidence of sophisticated intelligence, such as the development of advanced tools and artwork.

Incidentally, as long as I'm taking Baffler's idea apart, I think it only fair that other people give my idea the same treatment, if they like.

E: Ack! I keep saying 'sentient' when I mean 'sapient'! I'd never let that slide if I caught someone else doing it >>;
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:28:09 am by Mr Frog »

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9312 on: October 22, 2013, 11:09:46 pm »

YoUr SoUlS BeLONg tO TERRY nOW!!! ScREaM MorTALs!!!!!
also congrats on finishing...reading 36 right now...

*Crackles Insanely*

I read Deathgate...both of them...Murdermachines will triumph over deathgate soon....very soon.....
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>
<dying's half the fun, and all the FUN!>-Grombardrim

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9313 on: October 23, 2013, 02:02:24 am »

I think that, for story purposes, we should make sure that sapient creatures have some ability to vocalize. Things like pheromone communication seem like they would be difficult to write.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #9314 on: October 23, 2013, 11:24:26 am »

Sign me up for a dwarf in the next fortress. I don't know if i'll write anything seeing as i kinda quit playing ages ago, but i still love stories like these. I'll have to finish reading spearbreakers though. Who knows? I got a netter computer now. Maybe i'll start playing again.

Also, i'm not in the casualties list, even though someone told me my dwarf died.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:26:36 am by Terrahex »
What do you think? Yes? No?
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 815