Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2255127 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3960 on: August 03, 2012, 06:57:41 pm »

I'm just gonan say it now, I have no full interpretation other than a few events leading up to a major battle and a very angry man taking it out on the nearest NGO superpower. I'm in a bit of writersblock on the timewar to be honest. I only make things cross when I feel my violence calls for it.

Now let's all play a calm down fort and forget all the nastiness here, alright?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: August 03, 2012, 06:58:06 pm »

I don't know what you guy's definition of fighting is. People who are fighting don't usually use such polite language. :P
It's just a standard nerdwar. We try to outnerd each other. Bonus points for concealed threats and vague implications of another's supposed lesser intelligence or character.

And yep, that's what matters... But we're trying to get it figured out, and at least we're making progress. I think this is probably the best explanation of what happened to make all that go down. lol      (save me, I'm hopelessly trapped in TVTropes, and I still can't find what I was originally looking for)
edit: btw, that refers to the previously unknown plot point, not Mr Frog.

@Mr Frog - again, sorry if I upset you. :(

What I wrote:

• Boatmurdered, Headshoots, Syrupleaf
  • Parasol goes back in time and puts syrupleaf in stasis to appease armok and save the world for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Then, for some bizarre, inexplicable reason, they sit around and do absolutely nothing but twiddle their thumbs for over a hundred years.
  • Ballpoint arrives and gets to the Holistic Spawn first. Mr Frog takes it, modifies it, and releases it into the world as a test. Then he stumbles into the wrong room and gets himself locked in a cryogenic storage device for the next two hundred years (think carbonite). When he emerges, he promptly gets his ass fired, suffering severe sporadic amnesia at the same time. Or perhaps he overdosed and toasted his nut with a memory wiper do-gadget.
  • Ballpoint continues to monitor the experiment, and Parasol gets a whiff of what's going on. Instead of using their vastly superior technology to create a virus to eradicate the spawn threat, over the course of whatever's left of those two hundred years they take Ballpoint's version of the Spawn instead of modifying their own uncontaminated samples of the species. Then for some bizarre reason they release them.
  • In an uncharacteristic fit of illogicality and suicidal remorse (possibly due to brain trauma from the freezing process) (or another overdose), Mr Frog travels to Spearbreakers.
  • By the time Mr Frog arrives at Spearbreakers, Parasol has already stopped twiddling their thumbs and decided that the experiment is theirs, and not Ballpoint's. Ballpoint doesn't really care either way, but they'd like to see why Parasol's recently-released version of the Spawn are tougher than theirs - which is what they'd wanted in the first place.
  • Thus begins the great timewar, where Parasol both tries to destroy Ballpoint and protect "their" experiment, contrary to their purely academic nature. Ballpoint, on the other hand, just wants their Spawn buddies back so they can run more tests.
  • Spearbreakers is located either on, or near, a thing. This thing does the other thing, that, you know, gets more spawn stuff to appear from nowhere. Stuff. Thing. Thingy stuff. Basically there's more Spawn, and bigger, at Spearbreakers than anywhere else. Thus, it's the central location of the timewar.
  • As a result of being at the epicenter, secretive agents are sent into Spearbreakers to try to tip the scales. Contrary to what you'd believe with Ballpoint's military and espionage, it's Parasol who sends the majority of these.
  • Eris shows up and decides to put an end to both of them through subtle manipulation. Joseph discovers Mr Frog, goes "Hah, what luck" and takes him on board. At the same time, he believes Vanya - basically a passerby, but she knows too much - is dead. Also at the same time, Urist saves the fortress (and by extension, the timewar (and by extension, the entire universe from Armok's wrath)) from a rogue agent (predictably, from Parasol). Armok assists him in this.
  • Enter Rose (origin indeterminate) and Draconik. Draconik, ironically, is yet another Parasol agent, but who cares. Parasol is good with agents. I guess Ballpoint's strategy is to stumble blindly into combat without sending anybody in to scout things out. Perhaps they, like Draignean, value the element of surprise. "SURPRISE!" (By the way, nobody take Kannan. I've already planned him as a Ballpoint spy for over a month now, but I was going to leave that as a surprise. Whoops, spoilers.)
This appears to work, from a story standpoint. Logic standpoint, no.

Alright. Now, seriously, everyone with a stake in this scifi plot please pm your full interpretation of the plot up to this point, along with what you see as problems with the continuity.
Splint, i point out once again that this is about the politest site on the internet, which is why being called obtuse seemed to get talvieno going. "affably evil" says the trope page. Very nice, but capable of great darkness. That was a little of the nice darkness coming out, there.
ninja'd. Xahnel,  yes. I have a bad habit of getting defensive and striking back when I feel someone's attacking me unfairly. :-\ Obviously I'm not good at working on that. This is the third time it's happened in the past six months or so, which for me is pretty bad.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:30:53 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: August 03, 2012, 07:05:25 pm »

I must have a really jacked up brain because If you give me some time, I could probably make a logical sequence out of that list. I can see an underpinning of reason in this sea of insanity.... All I need is time to find it...

Also some of that made me laugh and that's a good sign.

EDIT: So, just to lighten the mood.... I have a crundle infestation on my cool off fort. Send my akimbo maces macedorf alone against the infestation or deploy the Lifeminers? (They mine the life from thier enemies' bodies! Clever right? :D)

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: August 03, 2012, 07:22:42 pm »

Infestation of what?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: August 03, 2012, 07:24:05 pm »

@Talvi:

Don't apologize. If my character really is as horribly hax as you say, then I needed to hear it.

I'm sorry for making my character so important. I didn't think it'd be that bad, but I don't get to decide how people react to him.

For the record, he didn't come to Spearbreakers of his own accord (since that seems to be a fairly-large sticking point for you). He was sent here on an observation assignment by upmanage after he sprouted a conscience and began questioning the ethics of Ballpoint's work. He's high-ranking and probably has a lot of dirt on their activities, so they were hoping that, by sending Frog into the heart of Spawn country on a pointless assignment (Mr Frog himself questions the purpose of the assignment in his very first journal), he'd get himself killed in a plausibly-deniable way.

I thought I'd spelled out the above unambiguously, but I guess I'd only hinted at it. There are quite a few things I'd thought I'd spelled out that I apparently hadn't; I'm wondering if I had a journal typed up at some point that I forgot to post.

Also: I meant 'world' as in he introduced the Spawn to just the one plane, not every world/universe ever. I'm sorry if I accidentally implied that Mr Frog is Holistic's personal bioengineer. He's not that much of a Stu :p

And that's the backstory, or at least the important parts. I'm completely-burnt-out now, and I believe that I've already posted most of the important stuff about Eris (which is frankly the only thing I'd like to remain unmolested that hasn't been already), so I'll sign off on this issue for now.

E: Excuse me? How am I not a Spanner in the Works?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: August 03, 2012, 07:26:47 pm »

Infestation of what?

Crundles. Annoying little bitey things that are the stuff of corai's nightmares.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: August 03, 2012, 07:33:26 pm »

Obviously you have to make a superweapon out of them, Splint. Cage, leash, and then CRUNDLEPOCALYPSE. They sound like they'll take chunks out of just about anything.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: August 03, 2012, 07:35:44 pm »

Obviously you have to make a superweapon out of them, Splint. Cage, leash, and then CRUNDLEPOCALYPSE. They sound like they'll take chunks out of just about anything.

Please no. They are not to be trusted. They look useful at first, then they kill a legendary pikeman like a claw to the face. <personal experience
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: August 03, 2012, 07:36:21 pm »

They aren't very big. Hell a civvie can kill one, but I am thinking of making crundle-based cage-land mines.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: August 03, 2012, 07:42:37 pm »

Please no. They are not to be trusted. They look useful at first, then they kill a legendary pikeman like a claw to the face. <personal experience

Even better. Are they small and round? Because if so, call them the chain chomp brigade.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: August 03, 2012, 08:43:18 pm »

I don't know what you guy's definition of fighting is. People who are fighting don't usually use such polite language. :P
It's just a standard nerdwar. We try to outnerd each other. Bonus points for concealed threats and vague implications of another's supposed lesser intelligence or character.

And yep, that's what matters... But we're trying to get it figured out, and at least we're making progress. I think this is probably the best explanation of what happened to make all that go down. lol      (save me, I'm hopelessly trapped in TVTropes, and I still can't find what I was originally looking for)
edit: btw, that refers to the previously unknown plot point, not Mr Frog.

@Mr Frog - again, sorry if I upset you. :(

What I wrote:

• Boatmurdered, Headshoots, Syrupleaf
  • Parasol goes back in time and puts syrupleaf in stasis to appease armok and save the world for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Then, for some bizarre, inexplicable reason, they sit around and do absolutely nothing but twiddle their thumbs for over a hundred years.
  • Ballpoint arrives and gets to the Holistic Spawn first. Mr Frog takes it, modifies it, and releases it into the world as a test. Then he stumbles into the wrong room and gets himself locked in a cryogenic storage device for the next two hundred years (think carbonite). When he emerges, he promptly gets his ass fired, suffering severe sporadic amnesia at the same time. Or perhaps he overdosed and toasted his nut with a memory wiper do-gadget.
  • Ballpoint continues to monitor the experiment, and Parasol gets a whiff of what's going on. Instead of using their vastly superior technology to create a virus to eradicate the spawn threat, over the course of whatever's left of those two hundred years they take Ballpoint's version of the Spawn instead of modifying their own uncontaminated samples of the species. Then for some bizarre reason they release them.
  • In an uncharacteristic fit of illogicality and suicidal remorse (possibly due to brain trauma from the freezing process) (or another overdose), Mr Frog travels to Spearbreakers.
  • By the time Mr Frog arrives at Spearbreakers, Parasol has already stopped twiddling their thumbs and decided that the experiment is theirs, and not Ballpoint's. Ballpoint doesn't really care either way, but they'd like to see why Parasol's recently-released version of the Spawn are tougher than theirs - which is what they'd wanted in the first place.
  • Thus begins the great timewar, where Parasol both tries to destroy Ballpoint and protect "their" experiment, contrary to their purely academic nature. Ballpoint, on the other hand, just wants their Spawn buddies back so they can run more tests.
  • Spearbreakers is located either on, or near, a thing. This thing does the other thing, that, you know, gets more spawn to appear from nowhere. Stuff. Thing. Thingy stuff. Basically there's more Spawn, and bigger, at Spearbreakers than anywhere else. Thus, it's the central location of the timewar.
  • As a result of being at the epicenter, secretive agents are sent into Spearbreakers to try to tip the scales. Contrary to what you'd believe with Ballpoint's military and espionage, it's Parasol who sends the majority of these.
  • Eris shows up and decides to put an end to both of them through subtle manipulation. Joseph discovers Mr Frog, goes "Hah, what luck" and takes him on board. At the same time, he believes Vanya - basically a passerby, but she knows too much - is dead. Also at the same time, Urist saves the fortress (and by extension, the timewar (and by extension, the entire universe from Armok's wrath)) from a rogue agent (predictably, from Parasol). Armok assists him in this.
  • Enter Rose (origin indeterminate) and Draconik. Draconik, ironically, is yet another Parasol agent, but who cares. Parasol is good with agents. I guess Ballpoint's strategy is to stumble blindly into combat without sending anybody in to scout things out. Perhaps they, like Draignean, value the element of surprise. "SURPRISE!" (By the way, nobody take Kannan. I've already planned him as a Ballpoint spy for over a month now, but I was going to leave that as a surprise. Whoops, spoilers.)
This appears to work, from a story standpoint. Logic standpoint, no.

Alright. Now, seriously, everyone with a stake in this scifi plot please pm your full interpretation of the plot up to this point, along with what you see as problems with the continuity.
Splint, i point out once again that this is about the politest site on the internet, which is why being called obtuse seemed to get talvieno going. "affably evil" says the trope page. Very nice, but capable of great darkness. That was a little of the nice darkness coming out, there.
ninja'd. Xahnel,  yes. I have a bad habit of getting defensive and striking back when I feel someone's attacking me unfairly. :-\ Obviously I'm not good at working on that. This is the third time it's happened in the past six months or so, which for me is pretty bad.

at 7.5 there is "Stone INC gets pissed off with all this shit and stops exporting ALL weapons. and then starts sending out troops for the first time in 250 years. give or take 75."

also, for Spearbreakers 2 can we have a dead civ, and a version of the spawn with cast systems like the maej? please you great frog you?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: August 03, 2012, 08:47:52 pm »

Dead civ is a big nono for the sequel. Just look at how many dwarves got killed for one that was alive and well. A dead civ would die after the first ambush AKA second year in. It'd be no fun, super short, and boring.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: August 03, 2012, 08:53:11 pm »

bah.

well, i still want caste spawn
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: August 03, 2012, 08:54:03 pm »

Now that I think could easilt be arranged, since in the flames of nerdrage came ideas to make spawn even more prolific and therefore threatening.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: August 03, 2012, 08:57:29 pm »

and there is a working version of a caste system in maej.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 815