Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thinking about buying a laptop (I need help)  (Read 3444 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thinking about buying a laptop (I need help)
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:58:38 pm »

Everywhere I look for help on company reviews is horrendously skewed for one company or the next (for obvious reasons, I assume). Anyone have any advice on finding a good laptop? I really don't need anything too powerful or expensive, because it will just be for school. I do, however, want to avoid buying a computer that's cheap simply because they stuck a processor in there from 2003. I was looking around on Newegg, and was honestly surprised at how terrible their selection was in the area. Anything that contended with big name retailer prices were nearly a decade old in their processors.

I came here because it's really the only forum I stalk that's even remotely tech-based. CNET seems to have lost all integrity, and searching around online just puts me onto these puppet websites created by the companies in question.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Thinking about buying a laptop (I need help)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:35:37 pm »

If it's not going to be your primary computer, I suggest one of the many Intel Atom-based netbooks on the market; it doesn't greatly matter which one, as they're broadly similar in specification. I wouldn't recommend one as your main computer, but they're good enough for note-taking in class and browsing the web over a cup of coffee. Prices start from around £200, maybe £230 if you're getting one of the new models with built-in 3G capability.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:42:17 pm »

If it's not going to be your primary computer, I suggest one of the many Intel Atom-based netbooks on the market; it doesn't greatly matter which one, as they're broadly similar in specification. I wouldn't recommend one as your main computer, but they're good enough for note-taking in class and browsing the web over a cup of coffee. Prices start from around £200, maybe £230 if you're getting one of the new models with built-in 3G capability.
I was thinking about getting one, but I was worried about the keyboard. Then again, I think nearly all choices have me worried in terms of the keyboard.

The "low-profile" keys always drove me crazy.

I had a friend tell me to check out the iPads, but I'm not crazy about using Apple products. Too stuffy on their hardware, in my opinion.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 06:59:29 pm »

Hold on so what you looking for in a laptop? give me a list.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:01:11 pm by Tellemurius »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 07:00:24 pm »

Hold so what you looking for in a laptop? give me a list.

This.

Also, you'll get used to whatever keyboard you get, trust me.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:15:08 pm »

Thirding this.

And while you can indeed get used to any keyboard, netbook keyboards are just ridiculously small. And most netbooks I've seen lack a cd/dvd drive, if thats important.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 07:30:48 pm »

Fourth. Also, I'm biased, but I'll try to give you the best recommendation I can.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 07:39:01 pm »

Fifthed.

As an initial suggestion based on my own experience, this may be a decent candidate. It's what I have, and has done well for pretty much everything I need for school, internet, and gaming, with the sole caveat that it won't run modern games with high-end graphics, but given your stated needs, this shouldn't be a problem.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 08:08:40 pm »

Fifthed.

As an initial suggestion based on my own experience, this may be a decent candidate. It's what I have, and has done well for pretty much everything I need for school, internet, and gaming, with the sole caveat that it won't run modern games with high-end graphics, but given your stated needs, this shouldn't be a problem.
Oh hell no do not bring that trash forth, sorry man but dell lost it in 2004.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:40:48 pm »

Why don't we wait for a list of needs before we make recommendations?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 01:50:16 am »

Why don't we wait for a list of needs before we make recommendations?

Seconding this.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 04:47:13 am »

I guess I should have given a list before. To be honest though, if you could direct me to a trusted tech review site, that would also help me in the future so I won't have to bother you all. Here's what I'm looking for though:

• Any of the new processors in the area of the i3, i5, and i7 chips. I know them from past experiences, and like the cost v performance. I have no problem settling for one of the weaker ones (like the i3, just something made in the last 5 years. Honestly, one of the less-powered processors look good anyway, as I assume it would mean longer battery life.
  • At least 4 gigs RAM. No more than 8, I won't use anything beyond that.
  • Integrated video is fine, my gaming PC is a desktop (as all gaming PCs should be), I will be doing all my video-heavy stuff there.
  • 64-bit strongly preferred.
  • Windows 7 64-bit.
  • The HDD doesn't really need to be all that large (a few hundred gigs would probably be more than enough). Heck, it doesn't even need to write/read all that fast.
  • It has to be a keyboard I won't be cramping my hands up using. Unfortunately, this I know is going to raise the cost, as a bigger keyboard means bigger screen. Screens seem to be the lion's share of the price variations, I've noticed.

I am really not interested in anything else, this includes CD drives or extra USB ports. I really just need a computer that can handle moderate multitasking and won't crap out if I play a video on it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 09:54:13 am »

You can always just go out and buy a usb keyboard and use that instead if you don't like the keyboard you end up with.

If you're not doing anything majorly serious (video-editing, 3d gaming, large DF worldgens, etc) you probably don't need an i7. An i3 works fine for what I've used it for (some games, videos using the cccp pack, having a small minecraft server runing and firefox at the same time), but pick the one you want.
SSD or normal hard drive? The first one you don't defragment, the latter one is probably cheaper for a greater or equal amount of space.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 01:48:38 pm »

Is an intel processor mandatory? AMD processors usually lowers the cost a little bit, and has the same amount of power. Anything in the A-series comes with a halfway decent video card, as well. (Usually a Raedon 6400 or higher. Many of them are 6750s.)

Edit: Just for clarity, the HP G6z is usually my recommendation for an entry level computer.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:24:36 pm by MaximumZero »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 02:21:34 pm »

Toshiba Satellites. They're solid, not too ridiculously priced, and last a long time. It might be a little more than what you're looking for since I think these things are designed to be a primary computer, but they are pretty big with a big screen/keyboard.
Pages: [1] 2